Recap: Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger E 4 What Are Friends For
After attempting to use the J.A.K.Q. and Battle Fever J Ranger Keys on Gokaioh, the Gokai Galleon realize they can not take a short cut in mastering the Ranger Keys' power as Captain Marvelous sends Joe and Ahim to pick up some food. However, the two stop in response to the Action Commander Zodomas, whose swordsmanship attracts Joe's attention and fights him as the Gokaigers battle the Gormin. However, the Action Commander overpowers Gokai Blue and takes his leave as the other Gokaigers arrive. While the others eat, Joe proceeds to hone his fighting style to counter Zodomas's fighting style with Ahim forced to watch before Joe tells her. As Luka tells Ahim to accept his reasons out of friendship, Joe completes his training. The next day, Joe finds Ahim waiting for him and as she gives him her Gokai Saber to use in his upcoming duel with Zodomas. However, Zodomas uses Zugormin to as Gokai Pink arrives to his aid before the other Gokaigers arrive. After the others assume the forms of the Gekirangers and Dekarangers to take out the Zugormin, they give their Gokai Sabers so Gokai Blue he can use a five-blade fighting style to defeat with his Five-Blade Style Blue Slash. When Zodomas and the Zugormin are enlarged, the Gokaigers form Magi Gokaioh to ground Zodomas before destroying him. Soon after, Joe presents a "thank you" cake to the crew and is modest about it.
- Combat Pragmatist:
- Zodomas agrees to a sword duel with Joe but uses the Gormin to restrain Joe. He even justifies it with saying that there are no rules in a fight and that the only thing that counts is winning.
- Despite the fact that he said that 5 against 1 was cowardly earlier...
- Diagonal Cut: Zodomas, by way of being a swordfighting master, can somehow do this to buildings.
- Dual Wielding: Gokai Blue takes it to the logical extreme and wields all five Gokai Sabers against Zodomas.
- Finishing Move: Joe's personal Final Wave. Five-Sword Style: Blue Slash.
- Leave Him to Me: After his first defeat, Joe demands that he be the one to beat Zodomas.
- Making a Splash: The Five-Sword Style: Blue Slash.
- Monster of the Week: Action Commander Zodomas.
- Splitting the Arrow: Gokai Blue manages to do this to swords after training to counter Zodomas' technique.
- Sword Plant: Joe leaves behind his second sword this way when Ahim gives him her Gokai Saber to use.
- This Is Something He's Got to Do Himself: While Ahim wants to help Joe and keep him from hurting himself further, Marvelous wants to respect Joe's wish and let him fight alone.
- Tsundere: Joe proves to be a male Type A. At the end of the episode, he makes a cake for the others with "Thank You" written on it. He breaks his stoicism by demanding that they not stare at him and just eat.