Ampata: "They told her that she was the only one. That only she could defend her people from the nether world. Out of all the girls in her generation... she was the only one... chosen. Do you know the story?"
Buffy: "It's fairly familiar."
The mummy of an Incan princess comes back to life and pretends to be a Foreign Exchange Student
Marks the first appearance of Oz, Devon and Jonathan.
- Absentee Actor: Angel
- The Alleged Car: The Gilesmobile
Come on! Can't you put your foot down? Giles:
It is down. Buffy: One of these days
you're gonna have to get a grownup car. Giles grinds the gears. Buffy shakes her head.
- Arbitrary Skepticism: Subverted.
Xander: Hey, maybe he (Rodney) awakened the mummy. (chuckles)
Willow: (giggling) Right, and it rose from its tomb.
Buffy: (smiling) And attacked him. (everyone stops smiling when they realized that could have happened)
Giles: We''ll deal with that when we've ruled out...evil curses.
Buffy: One day I'm gonna live in a town where evil curses are just generally ruled out without even saying.
- Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking
What kind of girl travels with a mummified corpse and doesn't even pack lipstick?
- Bait-and-Switch Comment
Oz: That girl. Who is she?
Devon: She's an exchange student. I think she's from South America.
Oz: No, not her. The Eskimo! (Willow)
- British Stuffiness / Blah Blah Blah
Buffy: Oh, I know this one! 'Slaying entails certain sacrifices, blah blah bliddy blah', I'm so stuffy, give me a scone.
- Clothing Reflects Personality: Buffy wears the Dungarees of Depression when she has to go slaying instead of dancing. Willow wraps herself up in a bulky Eskimo costume instead of something sexy.
- Cry into Chest
- Dance of Romance / Almost Kiss
- Exact Eavesdropping: Willow enters the room just in time to hear Buffy raise a subject close to her heart.
Oh, come on. In all the years you've know Willow, you've never thought about her lips? Xander:
Buffy, I love Willow. (Willow smiles)
And she's my best friend. Which makes her not the kind of girl who I think about her lips that much. She's the kind of girl that... I'm best friends with
- Evil Counterpart: Ampata wants to be normal like Buffy.
- Funny Foreigner: Inverted with Sven.
I thought this exchange student thing would be a great
deal. But look what I got stuck with! 'Momento!' 'Punchy fruity drinky!'
Is Cordelia even from this country?
- Green-Eyed Monster
- I'd Tell You, but Then I'd Have to Kill You
Xander: [On why Ampata won't tell him why she's crying]: Hey, I know why you can't tell me. It's a secret, right? And if you told me, you'd have to kill me.
Ampata: [cries louder]
Xander: Oh! That was a bad joke, and the delivery was off, too. Iím sorry.
- I Just Want to Be Normal
- I'm Thinking It Over!
Willow: I have a choice. I can spend my life waiting for Xander to go out with every girl in the world until he notices me, or I can just get on with my life.
Buffy: Good for you.
Willow: Well, I didn't choose yet.
- Ironic Echo / It Sucks to Be the Chosen One: Ampala's description of the Inca Princess strikes a cord with Buffy.
Ampata: They told her that she was the only one. That only she could defend her people from the nether world. Out of all the girls in her generation she was the only one...
Ampata: Do you know the story?
Buffy: It's fairly familiar.
Ampata: She was sixteen, like us. She was offered as a sacrifice and went to her death. Who knows what she had to give up to fulfill her duty to others? What chance at love?
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: Willow tells Xander to take Ampata to the dance without her tagging along.
- Kiss of Death: How the mummy kills her victims.
- Latin Lover: Xander is worried that some handsome South American guy is going to spend a couple of weeks living with Buffy. The exchange student who turns up is indeed male and good-looking, but Ampala life-sucks him before he meets the Scoobies and takes his place. Suddenly Xander has no objection to the whole exchange program at all.
- Mirror Scare
- Monster of the Week
- Moral Myopia / Violence is the Only Option
Buffy: I wasn't gonna use violence. I don't always use violence. Do I?
Xander: The important thing is you believe that.
- Necessarily Evil: Ampata just wants to live a normal life. Unfortunately to live she's got to drain Life Energy from others.
- Noodle Implements
Devon: What does a girl have to do to impress you?
Oz: Well, it involves a feathered boa and the theme to A Summer Place. I can't discuss it here.
- Percussive Therapy: Buffy beats on a pad-wielding Giles in frustration at him not allowing her to go to the dance. Eventually Giles realises it's less painful to agree.
- She Cleans Up Nicely: Inverted; Willow wears a dowdy and unsexy Eskimo costume to a cultural party and remarks that maybe she should have worn something sexy. However Oz ends up noticing her because of the costume.
- Saying Sound Effects Out Loud
Xander: Have you seen Ampata?
Willow: * makes indistinct movement while wearing thick fur coat*
Xander: What was that?
Willow: I shrugged.
Xander: Next time you should probably say "shrug." * leaves*
- That Came Out Wrong: Non-sexual example while discussing costumes for a fancy-dress-dance.
Xander: Okay, no shirts with ruffles, no hats with feathers and definitely no lederhosen. They make my calves look fat.
Willow: Why are you suddenly so worried about looking like an idiot? That came out wrong.
- Vampiric Draining of Life Energy
- Weirdness Magnet: Xander attracts another demonic woman.