Recap: Buffy The Vampire Slayer S 1 E 11 Out Of Mind Out Of Sight
"Looking in the mirror day after day and seeing nothing there? It's an overrated pleasure."A wallflower classmate becomes invisible from lack of attention. And psychotic.
- Air-Vent Passageway: Marcie has a hideout in the suspended ceiling.
- Bad Liar: Buffy stumbles into Cordelia, spilling a badful of medieval weaponry over the floor. She claims Giles lent them to her for history class. Fortunately Cordy is too self-centred to care what a mental case like Buffy gets up to with that creepy librarian anyway.
- And after Snyder catches Buffy sneaking into the crime scene. "Mitch wanted me to get his comb."
- The Bait: When Cordelia insists on going ahead with the May Queen celebrations, the Scoobies decide to use her to draw out Marcie. Unfortunately she's way ahead of them and uses her flute music played on a tape recorder to draw Giles, Xander and Willow down to the basement, leaving her free to deal with Buffy and Cordelia.
- Batter Up / Smash to Black: Marcie attacking Mitch.
- Big Damn Heroes: Angel turns up in time to save Giles, Xander and Willow.
- Birds of a Feather: Cordy's speech in this area needs some work.Cordelia: Buffy, I, uh, I, I know we've had our differences, with you being so weird and all, and hanging out with these total losers... Well, anyway, despite all of that, I know that you share this feeling that we have for each other, deep down...Willow: Nausea?
- Blatant Lies: Giles tells Buffy that the janitor freed them from the basement, knowing that Angel is trying to avoid Buffy.
- Brick Joke: Willow and Xander tell Snyder that Marcie's victim is going to sue the school. Later when Harmony gets her ankle broken by Marcie, Synder examines it.Harmony: Ow!Snyder: (looking alarmed) Don't sue.
- Character Development: For almost the entire first season Cordelia has been categorised as little more than a bitchy Brainless Beauty. This episode reveals her to be considerably smarter (though not to the extent of season three) and more self aware, along with having a Hidden Heart of Gold.
- Chekhov's Lecture"OK class, how does Shylock's anger over being a Jew relate to our discussion about the outcast in society?"
- Coconut Superpowers: We get one quick CGI shot of a floating baseball bat and at one point the invisible character hits another character with a baseball bat... the hand of which is just off-screen.
- Conversation CutStudent: "Guys! Mitch got whaled on; I think he's—"Cut to Snyder: Dead? Don't be ridiculous! What are you — ghouls? There are no dead students here...this week.
- Couldn't Find a Pen: LOOK in red paint is written on the lockers where Mitch was attacked. LISTEN is chalked onto the blackboard after a teacher is attacked. LEARN in glitter when Buffy and Cordelia wake up in the Bronze after being kidnapped by Marcie.
- Crush. Kill. Destroy!Buffy: "Monsters don't usually send messages. It's usually crush, kill, destroy."
- Deadly Gas: Marcie locks the Scoobies in a basement and opens a gas valve.
- Deadpan SnarkerGiles: How do you hunt someone you can't see? You may have to work on listening to people.Buffy: Very funny.Giles: I thought so.
- Dramatic Wind: Tustles Buffy's hair (inside the Bronze) when she's listening for Marcie.
- Ghostly Chill: The absence of this tells the Scoobies they're not dealing with a poltergeist.
- Glasgow Grin: Marcie intends to inflict this on Cordelia, amongst other assorted facial mutilations.
- Golden Moment: Averted; Cordelia is thanking the Scoobies for their help when Mitch comes up to her and asks why she's hanging around these losers. Cordy quickly makes herself scarce.Xander: Where's an invisible girl when you need one?
- Hey, That's My Line!: After Harmony is pushed down the stairs.Buffy: What happened?Snyder: Hey, who's the school principal here? (to Harmony) What happened?
- Hidden Depths: Cordelia. This is also the first episode in which she starts to get closer to the Scoobies.
- If You Can Read This: A Spy School textbook on infiltrating a cult compound to assassinate its leader is readable in DVD format, and consists of the lyrics to "Happiness is a Warm Gun" by The Beatles, with the titular line changed to "Joy is a hot revolver"
- Incredibly Obvious Tail: The two FBI men stick out like black-suited MIB's on the school grounds. Then again, this is Sunnydale.
- Insane Equals Violent: Marcie. Good lord, Marcie.
- It's All About Me: Cordelia again.Cordelia: People who think their problems are so huge craze me. Like this time I sort of ran over this girl on her bike. It was the most traumatizing event of my life, and she's trying to make it about her leg! Like my pain meant nothing.
Cordelia: Somebody is after me! They just tried to kill Ms. Miller! Uh, she was helping me with my homework. And Mitch! And Harmony?! This is all about me! Me, me, me!Xander: Wow! For once she's right!
- Later on:
- It Sucks to Be the Chosen One: Buffy pines for the pre-Slayer days when she was popular.
- Lame Comeback: Cordelia is giving out chocolates to drum up votes.Cordelia: Here's a chocolate... (realises it's Buffy) Oh, I don't think I need the loony-fringe vote.
Buffy: Well, I don't even like chocolates! (to herself) Okay, that was the lamest comeback of our times.
- Lame Pun Reaction:Giles: I've never actually heard of anyone attacked by a lone baseball bat before.Xander: Maybe it's a vampire bat. (everyone stares at him) ...I'm alone on that one, huh?
- Laughing Mad
- Layman's Terms: When Giles first mentions quantum mechanics.Buffy: I think I speak for everyone here when I say 'Huh?'
- The Men in Black
- Monochrome Past: Marcie's flashbacks of her non-interactions with Sunnydale students.
- Monster of the Week
- Noodle Incident: Buffy feels left out when Xander and Willow start laughing over a past Cordelia incident.Xander: Cordelia, man, she does love titles!
Willow: (laughing hysterically) Oh, God! Remember in sixth grade with the field trip?
Xander: Right! Right! The guy with the antlers on his belt!
Willow: Be my Deputy!
Xander: And remember the-the hat?
Willow: Oh God! The hat!
Buffy: Gee, it's fun that we're speaking in tongues.
- Oblivious Mockery: Played straight with Xander mocking Cordelia's May Queen obsession, when Buffy used to be one. Played for Laughs with Cordelia who's so used to insulting the Scoobies she even does it when asking them for help.
- Power Perversion Potential: Xander Thinking Of The Potential of being invisible. And protecting girls' locker rooms.
- Quantum Mechanics Can Do Anything: With a little help from the Hellmouth anyway.
- Rule Of Threes: Marcie's 'lesson' — LOOK, LISTEN, LEARN.
- Saying Sound Effects Out Loud: The Scoobies realise they've been suckered by the tape recorder.Xander: Can you say, 'Gulp'?
- So Beautiful, It's a Curse: Buffy and Cordelia share a rare moment of bonding over this.
- Staircase Tumble: Marcie pushes Harmony down the stairs.
- Stealth Hi/Bye: Giles is alone in the library when he hears something. Is it the ghost? Giles sees his reflection in a glass cabinet, then jumps when he turns and finds Angel standing next to him.
- Spy School: Marcie gets sent to one.
- Stock Quotes: The two FBI men talk in official clichese.FBI 1: We're not at liberty to discuss that.
FBI 2: It would be best for you to forget this whole incident.
Buffy: Do you know that you guys are very creepy?
FBI 2: Thank you for your help.
- To the Pain: What Marcie plans to do to Cordelia.
- Trivially Obvious: Marcie's yearbook is filled with the phrase: "have a nice summer!" Buffy tells Giles that this is what people write when they have absolutely nothing else to write.
- Vertical Kidnapping: Marcie on Cordelia.
- We Need a Distraction: Principal Snyder intercepts Buffy as she goes to check out the locker room where Mitch was attacked. Willow and Xander distract him by claiming Mitch's dad is going to sue the school. Later Marcie draws the Scoobies away from Buffy and Cordelia with a tape recording of her playing the flute.
- With Great Power Comes Great Insanity: Marcie becomes insane after she becomes invisible.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: The project involving training invisible people as assassins is never mentioned again.
- Your Eyes Can Deceive You: Buffy is unable to land a punch on Marcie until she shuts her eyes and just listens.
- You're Insane!Buffy: There's one thing I didn't factor into all of this. You're a raving loony!
- Your Mind Makes It Real: Inverted: Other people's perception of Marcie as not worth noticing made her invisible.