"I can be surrounded by people and be completely alone. Itís not like any of them really know me. I donít even know if they like me half the time. People just want to be in a popular zone. Sometimes when I talk, everyoneís so busy agreeing with me, they donít hear a word I say."
Cordelia is excitedly talking to Harmony and her friends about the spring and May Queen competition when Buffy bumps into them, spilling various slayer paraphernalia on the floor. She makes the excuse that Giles has lent them to her for a history project.In English class, Cordelia comments that in the Merchant of Venice, Shylock is self-involved and whiny. She likens it to a bicycle rider she ran over; the girl whined about her pain and ignored Cordelia's traumatic experience. The teacher appears to agree with the viewpoint. After class, Cordelia arranges to talk to the teacher the next day about her paper.In the boy's locker room, Mitch Fargo, Cordelia's boyfriend, is attacked by a floating baseball bat. Cordelia is outside campaigning for May Queen. As Xander and Willow mock Cordelia, Buffy feels left out and explains to them that she was the May Queen in her old school. The conversation ends when it's discovered that Mitch has been beaten up. Principal Snyder arrives, confirming Mitch isn't dead. Before Mitch is taken to hospital, he explains what happened but refuses to let Buffy into the crime scene. Willow and Xander distract him, allowing Buffy to slip into the locker room. The word 'look' is spray painted on to the lockers.At the library, the Scoobies are stumped. They suspect a ghost is behind what is happening. Meanwhile, Harmony asks Cordelia about Mitch's condition to which she replies that his bruises are too bad for them to be photographed at the prom.In a flashback, we see Cordelia and Harmony talking about Mitch's latest break-up with his girlfriend Wendy and whether Cordelia would like to be his girlfriend instead.In the present day, Harmony is pushed down the stairs by an invisible force and hurts her ankle as Buffy approaches. Buffy follows an invisible being, laughing which causes it to bump into her as it escapes.Later on, Xander suggests a cloak of invisibility worn by the Greek gods. Buffy dismisses the theory as the crimes being committed are too petty. As the Scoobies disperse, Buffy follows the sound of a flute.In the library, Giles is surprised by Angel who offers to get hold of a book of prophecies, the Pergamum Codex.Another flashback sequence shows Cordelia and Harmony discussing a lecture and ignoring a girl called Marcie.In the present, Cordelia wins the May Queen competition. When looking over Willow's list of missing students, Buffy sees Marcie and suspects her when it says she played the flute. Tracking Marcie, Buffy finds her hideout just as Marcie finds Cordelia's literature teacher. She suffocates her with a plastic bag. Cordelia arrives shortly after and manages to save the teacher. An invisible hand writes the word 'listen' on the blackboard.As Willow looks over Marcie's yearbook, she sees that all the messages written are generic 'have a nice summer'; a sign that no one knew her. She's horrified to see her own message is exactly the same. Giles realises that Marcie became invisible because people treated her like she didn't exist.In a flashback, we see a teacher overlook Marcie for the other students when she puts her hand up in class. She looks down, disappointed and realises she's turning invisible.As the Scoobies realise Marcie is after Cordelia, the latter enters the library and asks Buffy for protection. They decide to use Cordelia as bait and Buffy will act as her bodyguard. As Cordelia is getting dressed, she confides in Buffy that she's lonely too even though she's the most popular girl in school. Marcie lures Willow, Xander and Giles into the boiler room where she locks the door and turns the gas on before grabbing Cordelia. Buffy follows Cordelia and finds her unconscious. Marcie surprises Buffy, kicking her and knocking her out.Buffy wakes up, tied to a chair next to Cordelia. They see the word 'learn' written on a curtain. Marcie explains that Cordelia is the lesson, or she will be after she plans to make a mockery of Cordelia's face by surgery. Buffy kicks the tray with the surgical tools on and manages to free herself from the ropes. Angel rescues the other Scoobies and turns off the gas. Buffy concentrates, listening for Marcie and knocks her into a curtain before knocking her out. Two FBI agents arrive to take Marcie away.Cordelia comes by the next day after the coronation to thank the Scoobies for saving her, much to their surprise. However her reaction when Mitch arrives shows she's not ready to give up her popularity.Meanwhile, Marcie is taken to a school full of invisible students by the FBI. She sits down in class and opens her textbook. The title reads 'Assassination and Infiltration'.
- Air-Vent Passageway: Marcie has a hideout in the suspended ceiling.
- Bad Liar: Buffy stumbles into Cordelia, spilling a bagful of medieval weaponry over the floor. She claims Giles lent them to her for history class. Fortunately Cordy is too self-centred to care what a mental case like Buffy gets up to with that creepy librarian anyway.
- And after Snyder catches Buffy sneaking into the crime scene. "Mitch wanted me to get his comb."
- The Bait: When Cordelia insists on going ahead with the May Queen celebrations, the Scoobies decide to use her to draw out Marcie. Unfortunately she's way ahead of them and uses her flute music played on a tape recorder to draw Giles, Xander and Willow down to the basement, leaving her free to deal with Buffy and Cordelia.
- Batter Up: Marcie attacking Mitch.
- Big Damn Heroes: Angel turns up in time to save Giles, Xander and Willow.
- Birds of a Feather: Cordy's speech in this area needs some work.Cordelia: Buffy, I, uh, I, I know we've had our differences, with you being so weird and all, and hanging out with these total losers... Well, anyway, despite all of that, I know that you share this feeling that we have for each other, deep down...Willow: Nausea?
- Blatant Lies: Giles tells Buffy that the janitor freed them from the basement, knowing that Angel is trying to avoid Buffy.
- Brick Joke: Willow and Xander tell Snyder that Marcie's victim is going to sue the school. Later when Harmony gets her ankle broken by Marcie, Synder examines it.Harmony: Ow!Snyder: (looking alarmed) Don't sue.
- Character Development: For almost the entire first season Cordelia has been categorised as little more than a bitchy Brainless Beauty. This episode reveals her to be considerably smarter and more self aware, along with having a Hidden Heart of Gold.
- Chekhov's Lecture"OK class, how does Shylock's anger over being a Jew relate to our discussion about the outcast in society?"
- Coconut Superpowers: We get one quick CGI shot of a floating baseball bat and at one point the invisible character hits another character with a baseball bat... the hand of which is just off-screen.
- Conversation CutStudent: "Guys! Mitch got whaled on; I think he's—"Cut to Snyder: Dead? Don't be ridiculous! What are you — ghouls? There are no dead students here...this week.
- Couldn't Find a Pen: LOOK in red paint is written on the lockers where Mitch was attacked. LISTEN is chalked onto the blackboard after a teacher is attacked. LEARN in glitter when Buffy and Cordelia wake up in the Bronze after being kidnapped by Marcie.
- Crush. Kill. Destroy!Buffy: "Monsters don't usually send messages. It's usually crush, kill, destroy."
- Deadly Gas: Marcie locks the Scoobies in a basement and opens a gas valve.
- Deadpan SnarkerGiles: How do you hunt someone you can't see? You may have to work on listening to people.Buffy: Very funny.Giles: I thought so.
- Dramatic Wind: Tustles Buffy's hair (inside the Bronze) when she's listening for Marcie.
- Everybody Lives: Mitch and the teacher survives Marcie's assault. Marcie is a Karma Houdini.
- Ghostly Chill: The absence of this tells the Scoobies they're not dealing with a poltergeist.
- Glasgow Grin: Marcie intends to inflict this on Cordelia, amongst other assorted facial mutilations.
- Golden Moment: Averted; Cordelia is thanking the Scoobies for their help when Mitch comes up to her and asks why she's hanging around these losers. Cordy quickly makes herself scarce.Xander: Where's an invisible girl when you need one?
- Hey, That's My Line!: After Harmony is pushed down the stairs.Buffy: What happened?Snyder: Hey, who's the school principal here? (to Harmony) What happened?
- Hidden Depths: Cordelia. This is also the first episode in which she starts to get closer to the Scoobies.
- If You Can Read This: A Spy School textbook on infiltrating a cult compound to assassinate its leader is readable in DVD format, and consists of the lyrics to "Happiness is a Warm Gun" by The Beatles, with the titular line changed to "Joy is a hot revolver"
- Incredibly Obvious Tail: The two FBI men stick out like black-suited MIB's on the school grounds. Then again, this is Sunnydale.
- Insane Equals Violent: Marcie. Good lord, Marcie.
- Invisible Jerkass: Upon becoming invisible, Marcie becomes a violent psychopath who takes violent revenge against everyone who scorned and ignored her.
- It's All About Me: Cordelia again.Cordelia: People who think their problems are so huge craze me. Like this time I sort of ran over this girl on her bike. It was the most traumatizing event of my life, and she's trying to make it about her leg! Like my pain meant nothing.
Cordelia: Somebody is after me! They just tried to kill Ms. Miller! Uh, she was helping me with my homework. And Mitch! And Harmony?! This is all about me! Me, me, me!Xander: Wow! For once she's right!
- Later on:
- It Sucks to Be the Chosen One: Buffy pines for the pre-Slayer days when she was popular.
- Jerkass H As A Point:
- Xander points out that, for once, Cordelia is right in her assertion that it's all about her.
- Xander accuses Cordelia of having a fabulous lack of priorities when she still wants to be crowned while her life is at risk. Cordelia retorts that if they stop the coronation, Marcia has won. Buffy says that Cordelia has a point and proceeds to use her as a bait to draw Marcie out.
- Lame Comeback: Cordelia is giving out chocolates to drum up votes.Cordelia: Here's a chocolate... (realises it's Buffy) Oh, I don't think I need the loony-fringe vote.
Buffy: Well, I don't even like chocolates! (to herself) Okay, that was the lamest comeback of our times.
- Lame Pun Reaction:Giles: I've never actually heard of anyone attacked by a lone baseball bat before.Xander: Maybe it's a vampire bat. (everyone stares at him) ...I'm alone on that one, huh?
- Laughing Mad
- Layman's Terms: When Giles first mentions quantum mechanics.Buffy: I think I speak for everyone here when I say 'Huh?'
- The Men in Black
- Monochrome Past: Marcie's flashbacks of her non-interactions with Sunnydale students.
- Monster of the Week
- Noodle Incident: Buffy feels left out when Xander and Willow start laughing over a past Cordelia incident.Xander: Cordelia, man, she does love titles!
Willow: (laughing hysterically) Oh, God! Remember in sixth grade with the field trip?
Xander: Right! Right! The guy with the antlers on his belt!
Willow: Be my Deputy!
Xander: And remember the-the hat?
Willow: Oh God! The hat!
Buffy: Gee, it's fun that we're speaking in tongues.
- Oblivious Mockery: Played straight with Xander mocking Cordelia's May Queen obsession, when Buffy used to be one. Played for Laughs with Cordelia who's so used to insulting the Scoobies she even does it when asking them for help.
- Power Perversion Potential: Xander Thinking Of The Potential of being invisible. And protecting girls' locker rooms.
- Quantum Mechanics Can Do Anything: With a little help from the Hellmouth anyway.
- Rule of Threes: Marcie's 'lesson' — LOOK, LISTEN, LEARN.
- Saying Sound Effects Out Loud: The Scoobies realise they've been suckered by the tape recorder.Xander: Can you say, 'Gulp'?
- So Beautiful, It's a Curse: Buffy and Cordelia share a rare moment of bonding over this.
- Staircase Tumble: Marcie pushes Harmony down the stairs.
- Stealth Hi/Bye: Giles is alone in the library when he hears something. Is it the ghost? Giles sees his reflection in a glass cabinet, then jumps when he turns and finds Angel standing next to him.
- Spy School: Marcie gets sent to one.
- Stock Quotes: The two FBI men talk in official clichese.FBI 1: We're not at liberty to discuss that.
FBI 2: It would be best for you to forget this whole incident.
Buffy: Do you know that you guys are very creepy?
FBI 2: Thank you for your help.
- Sympathy for the Devil: Buffy is initially sympathetic to Marcie because of her Friendless Background and everything she suffered as a result. Of course, she ends up dropping this upon seeing how psychotic Marcie has become and how far she's willing to go to get back at everyone who ignored her.Buffy: Y'know, I really felt sorry for you. You've suffered. But there's one thing I really didn't factor into all this. You're a thundering loony!
- To the Pain: What Marcie plans to do to Cordelia.
- Trivially Obvious: Marcie's yearbook is filled with the phrase: "have a nice summer!" Buffy tells Giles that this is what people write when they have absolutely nothing else to write.
- Vertical Kidnapping: Marcie on Cordelia.
- We Need a Distraction: Principal Snyder intercepts Buffy as she goes to check out the locker room where Mitch was attacked. Willow and Xander distract him by claiming Mitch's dad is going to sue the school. Later Marcie draws the Scoobies away from Buffy and Cordelia with a tape recording of her playing the flute.
- With Great Power Comes Great Insanity: Marcie becomes insane after she becomes invisible.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: The project involving training invisible people as assassins is never mentioned again.
- Your Eyes Can Deceive You: Buffy is unable to land a punch on Marcie until she shuts her eyes and just listens.
- You're Insane!Buffy: There's one thing I didn't factor into all of this. You're a raving loony!
- Your Mind Makes It Real: Inverted: Other people's perception of Marcie as not worth noticing made her invisible.