Recap: Babylon Five S 04 E 06 Into The Fire
The final confrontation.
The Vorlons keep asking one question over and over again: "Who are you?" And for the Shadows it's "What do you want?" I have never heard either of you answer those questions yourselves. Who are you
? What do you
This episode contains examples of:
- Armor-Piercing Question: Sheridan turns the Vorlon and Shadow questions back on the two elder races. He throws into their face the fact that they can't actually answer their own questions anymore.
- Bilingual Backfire: While Ivanova is out looking for First Ones with Lorien, she attempts to give an order to her Minbari crew, despite not being able to speak the language very well. In frustration, she says "Ah Hell," which in Minbari, apparently means "Continuous Fire..."
- The Cavalry:
- When the Vorlons are about to destroy Coriana 6, Sheridan calls in the First Ones to destroy their Planet Killer.
- Soon after the Vorlons call in all their remaining forces, including the planet-killer above Centauri Prime.
- Dawn of an Era: The Third Age of Mankind (and of all the other younger races). No longer subject to the control, manipulation or guidance of the elder races, they'll make their own decisions and find their own way, for better or worse.
- Did You Just Flip Off Cthulhu?: How they end the war, permanently.
- Did You Just Punch Out Cthulhu?: What Londo does to the Shadow presence on Centauri Prime.
- Double Meaning Title: Arguably. Besides the Title Drop at the beginning, "Into the Fire" might recall the Minbari rebirth ceremony, the words of which echo throughout the series. "Will you follow me into fire, into storm, into darkness, into death? ...Then do this in testimony to the one who will follow, the one who will bring death couched in the promise of new life and renewal disguised as defeat. From birth, through death and renewal, you must put aside old things, old fears, old lives. This is your death; the death of pain, the death of flesh, the death of yesterday. Taste of it and be not afraid, for I am with you until the end of time. Taste of it...and so it begins".
- End of an Age: For the First Ones.
- Heroic BSOD: Londo's reaction to finding out that it was Morden who arranged for Adira to be poisoned to manipulate him into turning back to the Shadows for support.
- My Hovercraft Is Full of Eels: While Ivanova is out looking for First Ones with Lorien, she attempts to give an order to her Minbari crew, despite not being able to speak the language very well. In frustration, she says "Ah Hell," which in Minbari, apparently means "Continuous Fire..."
- Nuclear Option: Sheridan uses this to get the attention of the Shadows and Vorlons.
- Londo does this to the Shadow ships on Centauri Prime.
- Precision F-Strike: Lyta immediately after: "Captain...they're pissed".
- Sadistic Choice: Planet Killers are approaching Coriana 6 and Centauri Prime. With only enough ships for a stand at one of them they decide to save the 6 billion people of Coriana over 3 billion Centauri.
- Taking the Bullet: The Vorlons and Shadows try to fire on the White Star that Sheridan and Delenn are on, but the other ships move into the path of the incoming missiles, proving that all the younger races have rejected the elder races' guidance, and have chosen to stand up for themselves.
- Tempting Fate: When the Shadows refuse to budge from Centauri Prime, this discussion ensues:
: What are you gonna do, Mollari? Blow up the island? Londo
: Actually... [takes a remote out of his pocket]
Now that you mention it.... Morden
: NO! [Londo presses the button on the remote; cue big explosion on the island where the Shadow ships are based]
- Title Drop: "Take us into the fire".
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Sheridan delivers an epic one to both the Vorlons and the Shadows, concluding with the immortal line, "Now get the hell out of our galaxy!"
- Wham Episode
- You're Insane!: Morden (without a hint of irony) says this to Londo.