Quotes / Creator Backlash

    open/close all folders 


The Cabalists who celebrated this mysterium,
This vast creature, named it Golem.
Perhaps there was an error in the word
Or in the articulation of the Sacred Name;
In spite of the highest esoteric arts
This apprentice of man did not learn to speak.

The rabbi watched it tenderly but
With some horror. How (he said)
Could I engender this laborious son?
Better to have done nothing, this is insanity."


If you could ever find it in your hearts,
if you could ever think to find some sympathy,
never ask us to play this song,
or that song about our pants, or our kitty doggy.
Never ask us to play 'Godzilla' or 'Shut Up'
or that song we haven't written yet about that time we did some stuff
Five Iron Frenzy, "Never Ask Us to Play This"

    Web Video 

The thing about fan commentary is that itís pretty-much always going to be cheerleading, 'cause thatís what defines a fan, whereas the developer ten years down the line might have some interesting self-criticism with the benefit of hindsight. 99% of creators claim to loathe everything they made more than five years ago, and the remaining 1% are liars.
Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw, Zero Punctuation, "Half-Life 2 Update - Gravity Gun vs Modern FPS"

    Real Life 

Surely I've written better things.
Ludwig van Beethoven on "Moonlight Sonata"

I shrivel up every time someone mentions Star Wars to me.

You know, it's funny how wrong an artist can be about his own work. The one composition of Tchaikovsky's that he really detested was his 'Nutcracker Suite', which is probably the most popular thing he ever wrote.

... in terms of that film I was embarrassed. I was ashamed of the work, and I was grateful that I had the power to contain it all, and never let anyone see it. It was bad, bad, bad. It could have been wonderful, but I slipped up. I didn't quite get it and I didn't quite have enough sense to find out why I'm doing it and maybe there would be an answer.
Jerry Lewis, when asked if he'd ever release The Day the Clown Cried

If you thought you were sick of the memes, I was sick of it way ahead of you. For instance, cake. I've had enough cake jokes.
Erik Wolpaw, writer for Portal

Congratulations, you've just bought our worst album!
Elvis Costello, in the liner notes to a reissue of Goodbye, Cruel World.

"The second season I'm not even going to mention because that really wasn't the show. The first season was definitely the show."
Jessica Alba during the commentary for the Dark Angel season one finale.

A year ago I had a fantastic version of this. And it would've received great reviews. You'll probably never see it. That's reality though.
Josh Trank, shortly before the release of his reboot of Fantastic Four.

"So What" or Kind of Blue, they were done in that era, the right hour, the right day, and it happened. It's over [...]. What I used to play with Bill Evans, all those different modes, and substitute chords, we had the energy then and we liked it. But I have no feel for it anymoreóit's more like warmed-over turkey.

There's a lot of rubbish on Satanic Majesties. Just too much time on our hands, too many drugs, no producer to tell us, "Enough already, thank you very much, now can we just get on with this song?" Anyone let loose in the studio will produce stuff like that. There was simply too much hanging around. It's like believing everything you do is great and not having any editing.
Mick Jagger of The Rolling Stones on Their Satanic Majesties Request

The worst fucking song that I have ever heard.
Frank Sinatra on Strangers in the Night