: A dark/death god of a mythology is portrayed as evil even though s/he is not
- Straight: Tuoni, the finnish god of the Underworld is a portrayed as a God of Evil.
- Exaggerated: Tuoni is portrayed as an Eldritch Abomination and blamed for every single atrocity mankind has been through, like the Holocaust for example.
- People are superficial and think gods of things they fear and are disgusted upon must be evil and disgusting.
- In a universe where a god's personality is defined by belief, the change in attitudes toward death have also altered Tuoni.
- Double Subverted:
- Tuoni lied and everyone's souls are now in Hell.
- The time spent being Satan's torture bitch snapped Tuoni's mind, and now he's a psychopath.
- Parodied: Tuoni possessed Joel Schumacher into making Batman & Robin so people commited mass suicide.
- Zig Zagged: Tuoni can't decide if he is on the side of the good guys or if he wants to take over the world.
- Averted: No good death/dark deities become evil.
- "We don't care so much about mythological accuracy as making quick cash, so to keep with the popular opinion we made him evil! BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!"
- "People don't want to die. So death must be evil."
- "Hades is another name for Hell, right? The guy's GOT to be evil in the myths, then!"
- Lampshaded: "I suppose mythology is wrong then."
- The local God of Evil claims he is a death god.
- Alternatively: Tuoni purposefully cultivates a bad reputation to keep the suicide rate down.
- Exploited: ???
- Defied: The local head of the Fantasy Pantheon makes sure death is under the supervision of a decent person.
- Discussed: "Wouldn't it be nice if Hades was a good guy for a change?"
- Conversed: "Not Anubis the evil furry again!"
- Turns out he was a jerk anyway so it really didn't matter.
- He understands that his job would lead to a lot of hate being directed by him. However, he also understands the necessities of his position being a necessary evil, so he just takes the abuse like a Stoic Woobie.
- Played For Laughs: In a new age religious movement Severus Snape becomes the local god of death; while it turns out he is good, Ron the Death Eater ensues and he becomes the Satan analogue.
Back to Every Body Hates Hades