Playing With: Everybody Hates Mathematics
: Math is hard to the point that everybody hates it in one way or another.
- Straight: It is in general agreement that everyone hates math due to its complexities.
- Math is hated to the point that some schools refuse to teach it.
- People hate math so much that when they solve a problem, they are left traumatized or Go Mad from the Revelation.
- Math is downright outlawed in schools because of everyone's hatred of it.
- Math is so hated by a vast majority of people to the point that the very word has been erased from the dictionary.
- Math has been erased from existence due to the obscene amounts of hatred for the subject.
- As a person tries to solve a math problem for ten seconds, the earth explodes from sheer hatred.
- Downplayed: Math doesn't receive outright hate, but it is still an Acceptable Target.
- As Math progresses to the more advanced, it has become too complex and too mind-rapingly eldritch to the point of uselessness. And it's forced onto our curriculum.
- The way Math is taught in schools is dull, boring, unrewarding, and constantly emphasized fear of failure over curiosity.
- Any lesson that emphasizes fear of failure and is forced without any rewards will reinforce negative emotions. Try forcing somebody to level grind a role-playing game forever, against his will. He will end up bored and, if forced further, hateful of said game. Math is similar, in that teachers emphasize boredom, fear of failure and lack of realism rather than treating math for what it ought to be taught as: a cognitive puzzle for the curious, with realistic benefits.
- Math is the work of The Devil and/or Cthulhu.
- Inverted: Math is loved by everyone, but all other subjects are hated.
- Math is initially hated, but is later appreciated for what it is.
- A math nerd is introduced.
- Double Subverted:
- Then it goes back to being hated by everyone.
- That isn't a math nerd, that's just a kid trying to get on his math teacher's good side.
- Zig-Zagged: First, students in Jeremia High School hate their math classes, but it turns out that they hate their math teachers, not math itself. When a new math teacher comes, though, the students still hate mathematics, because by that time, mathematics they learn has become very complicated. The sheer amount of hatred erases math from existence, eventually leading to a collapse of all human civilizations. After a few generations, people use mathematics again to make their lives more convenient.
- Some people hate math, others love it.
- Mathematics never comes up or if it does, whether people hate it or like it is not discussed.
- "Of all the subjects they gave me, it had to be math."
- "Math problem. This Is Gonna Suck."
- Someone cursed Math to bring down human civilization.
- Once Upon a Time, an Eldritch Abomination came to Earth and Mind Raped mankind. Its form happens to resemble a variety of fractals and complex mathematical equations, instilling the fear of math into the majority of the human subconscious.
- Discussed: "Why does math have to be so hard?"
- Conversed: "Math appears to be the subject everyone loves to hate."
- Deconstructed: Math is hated so much, people erase math from their brains, but since even the very first civilizations needed math to build civilization (such as Ancient Babylonia and Egypt), the loss of math leads to the downfall of human civilization.
- Reconstructed: The simpler and more practical aspects of math that are enough to keep civilization functioning are loved again, while teachers this time try to innovate more ways to make math a fun and interesting game, but still the more complex and useless yet boring are Acceptable Targets.
- Played For Laughs: Being an Acceptable Target, Math is the butt of many jokes.
- Played For Drama: Alice, a previously intelligent student, develops such a fear and hatred of Math which causes her to succumb to peer pressure and fail school, emotionally harming everyone around her and forcing her into a life of regret and angst.
Back to Everybody Hates Ma-
Did I just see X + Y? Nooooooooo!!!!