Playing With: Deadpan Snarker
: A character given to wry, sarcastic, or excessively dry humor, usually in the form of snide commentary or an occasional aside.
- Straight: Alice, Brave Bob's loyal friend, continually makes witty and ironic comments on what he does, using gentle and usually affectionate sarcasm.
- Exaggerated: Alice speaks only in snarky commentary on Bob, on the universe, on passing cars, on what she had for breakfast that morning...
- Justified: Alice has a very dry wit, and Bob's moronic antics give her plenty of opportunities to display it.
- Alice is Sarcasm-Blind.
- Alternately, Alice Cannot Convey Sarcasm.
- Or, Alice is sarcastic and deadpan to a T, but she's one of the most idealistic, happiest people you could ever hope to meet.
- Subverted: Alice makes a witty comment... then can't keep from laughing at her own joke.
- Double Subverted:
- Parodied: The character sprays acerbic wit all over everything - we do mean everything - and everyone loves it because it's funny.
- Zig Zagged: Sometimes they snark, sometimes they don't.
- Averted: Characters mean what they say most of the time.
- "This is a show full of idiots, and one smart, annoyed person".
- "This character's kind of a jerk, so let's reinforce that image".
- "...This is a show about making fun of people. Apparently, you were expecting Sesame Street".
- Lampshaded: "Ooh, yay. Another dipshit that thinks he's Mike and this is MST3K."
- Invoked: "I want to be the sort of person who always has something witty to say".
- Exploited: ???
- Defied: "I should be sincere so people don't think I'm a Jerkass".
- Discussed: "Alice always has something snarky to say".
- Conversed: "There's always someone on a show like that to snark at the antics of everyone around her".
- Deconstructed: The snarker being an asshole drives everyone else away from them, and they feel the burn.
- Reconstructed: They don't care that they're driving everyone away, or thrive on it.
- Played For Drama: Alice is hiding a deep inner hurt and uses sarcasm because she's afraid to get close to people.
: A link for the people who have evolved past the much-too-difficult practice of "clicking the back button on their browser".