: The one causing the conflict.
- Straight: Emperor Evulz, who rules the Land of Evil with an Iron Fist, causes chaos and misery for all when he decides to expand his territory. This forces the Five-Man Band to rise up and defeat him.
- Exaggerated: Emperor Evulz is so powerful that there is no conceivable way he can be defeated.
- Downplayed: Emperor Evulz is part of a Big Bad Ensemble, but is the most dangerous member.
- Justified: Evulz is dangerously savvy in politics, and combined with his dark sorcery, he's able to get himself into a leadership position with ease.
- Double Subverted: In reality, King Bubba the First is just an alias of the Emperor.
- Parodied: Emperor Evulz is a total dunce who whines like a little baby when his Evil Plan goes south.
- Zig Zagged: Emperor Evulz turns out to be a lesser threat than some of the others around him. He gets into frequent Enemy Mine situations with the Five-Man Band, but by the end of the episode, it's back to business as usual.
- Emperor Evulz doesn't even last half the season.
- Or the show relies entirely on the Monster of the Week format.
- The conflict, great or small, has no one entity behind it. Even if there are villains in this setting, none is solely responsible for the mess or significantly more popular than the others. Instead, the conflict(s) come from their combined efforts and/or pure bad luck.
- Enforced: "We need a source of conflict, and nothing says conflict like an evil overlord."
- Lampshaded: "Why can't the guys with armies, big fortresses, and infinite resources ever be on our side?
- Invoked: "I'll get those five warriors, or my name isn't Emperor Evulz! And I know just how to do it: raise an evil army, and use my massive funds to rise through the political ranks as well!"
- Exploited: The heroes find a single antagonist with predictable goals to be much more manageable than last season's Monster of the Week format.
- Discussed: "I just know there's someone behind all this."
- Conversed: "There's always some evil boss guy controlling all the littler evil guys."
Back to Big Bad