Names To Run Away From: Xtreme Kool Letterz
A form of Names to Run Away From Really Fast
Xtreme Kool Letterz
make an otherwise-ordinary name scarier. Most people with names that haven't
been legally changed to have loads of "Kool Leturz" are best kept an eye on.
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- Niv-Mizzet (of Magic: The Gathering's Ravnica block; a dragon who was also a Mad Scientist, so you know he's dangerous, and in combination with a single card he can start an infinite damage loop)
- The whole plane of Phyrexia.
- Hugo Drax from the James Bond novel and movie Moonraker
- Xeno (Xenomorphs, better known as the aliens in Alien) This one might be averted by simply being proper nomenclature. "Xeno" means stranger, and it has a very strange morphology.
- Xander Drax, of The Phantom. Who? "X-A-N-D-E-R D-R-A-X, Xander Drax, begins and ends with the letter X."
- The title character of xXx, though at least half of that is from being played by Vin Diesel.
- Drexl (from True Romance)
- Vermithrax the dragon in Dragonslayer
- Galbatorix from the Inheritance Cycle is a name you give you child if you want him to grow up to be an evil emperor. It's possible that Galbatorix chose the name, but why is beyond most people; it doesn't roll off the tongue and sounds generically evil. You'd think someone who wanted to take over the world would ease people into it by picking something which sounded nicer. And if Galbatorix is indeed his given name, then he is fully justified in wanting to kick some ass—which raises the question of why he was let into the Dragon Riders.
- Pretty much everyone from Sanctaphrax (The Edge Chronicles), but Orbix Xaxis deserves a special mention.
- Lampshaded in Unseen Academicals with Dr. Hix, who changed his last name's spelling from Hicks to Hix because a man with a skull ring would have to be mad, or shall we say, even madder, to pass up the chance to have an X in his name.
- Xaro Xhoan Daxos from A Song Of Iceand Fire. While he is not really a positive character, he is not actually evil, too. In the series, however, he becomes a main antagonist by the end of the second season.
- The Ix from The Last Dragon Chronicles.
- There's an archvillain named Axel in Little Orphan Annie, of all places. Besides, it almost sounds like axe.
- Drizzt Do'Urden; generally a nice guy, but you wouldn't like him when he's angry.
- Jarlaxle, also of Forgotten Realms. He probably won't kill you. He'll just make your life a living hell.
- Zaknafein, Drizzt's father, a four-hundred-year-old weapons master who's defeated demons in single combat and can take someone's tongue out with a whip while blindfolded. And depending on the person, enjoys doing it.
- Warhammer 40,000: Ghazgkull Mag Uruk Thraka. An Ork over twenty feet tall. Run.
- This also applies to Axel Almer in Super Robot Wars Original Generation 2, but not so in Original Generation Gaiden, seeing that his non-OGs OG 2 personality is quite of a Jerk Ass, and a dangerous one at that.
- Sort of applies to Axl of Mega Man X 7, but that's to the audience only anyway.
- All of the Organization XIII members in Kingdom Hearts have names that are anagrams of their human names with an "X" added, like Lea-Axel, Braig-Xigbar, Dilan-Xaldin, etc. Xehanort follows the same pattern - among many other possibilities, his name without the X is an anagram of "no heart".
- Syn, the Big Bad of Cardinal Syn
- Mortal Kombat kharacters inklude Stryker, Kobra, and Havik.
- The Snarbolax in Spiral Knights
- Dr. Z, Big Bad or so we are led to believe... of Dinosaur King.
- Xykon, self named for the Xtreme Kool Letterz quotient. Gets (more) homicidal whenever someone spells his name with a Z by mistake - Zs are for pussies. Note the suspicious similarly of the name to the compound Zyklon B, used by the Nazis in death camps. Presuming this was intentional, it provides a good clue to Xykon's general nature.
- X. Who's birth name is Elzandra, legal name Alexandra, and happens to be a Child of Prophecy. She also likes explosions. The only reason she wouldn't qualify is her extreme apathy.
- Vilgax (the Big Bad of Ben 10)
- Nebulans from the original Transformers series often have names like this. See, for example, Grax, Zarak, and Krunk.
- Thrax, the villain of Osmosis Jones. Presumably intended to invoke "anthrax".
- Pretty much everybody from the Fire Nation has a Z in their names. Zuko, Zhao, Azula, Ozai, Sozin, Azulon. Worth noting: most the Fire Nationals who don't have a Z in their names were never really antagonists, such as Iroh, Ursa, Piandao, Roku, and Jeong Jeong.
- Kardiak, Kyd Wykkyd, and Wrex from Teen Titans.
- And don't forget Elron's favorite, Xenu.