Names To Run Away From: R Names
A variant of Names to Run Away from Really Fast. Anyone who has a name that contains the letter R in it is probably someone you shouldn't trust. This is especially true if the person's name begins or ends in R. Having the name end in -er counts as well, but not if it begins with Er-. If the person's name contains a Verb in it ending in R or -er, that's a different variant of this trope. Anyone whose name combines several of the distinct types of Names to Run Away from Really Fast is generally someone you really, really, do not want to get mad at you. Or they're a Mary Sue, which is arguably worse. Compare Evil Roy.
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- Obelisk the Tormentor
- Rory the Reaper - she harvests souls for Emroy, the God of Death, sometimes before the previous owners have stopped twitching. Despite this bullet point in her resume she is much loved by the worshippers of Emroy as his Apostle. Other folks may have a different opinion but that's usually because she's swinging a giant halberd at their midsection at the time.
- Darth Vader
- Hannibal Lecter
- Jackson Rippner
- General Ripper
- David Sumner of Straw Dogs turns out to be the single most dangerous man in the universe
- Baddies in lots of 80s/90s action movies seemed to be called either Hans, Kruger/Gruber, if not both, i.e. Hans Gruber. The harsh sound of the name seems to fit both this and the next category.
- People with last names ending in "-er" seem to be the vast majority of the population of Sandford. While not all of them are in on the evil conspiracy, this does add to the creepiness of the quiet little town.
- Warhammer 400000: Flesh Tearers (a Blood Angels offshoot) are technically good guys, but since their symbol is a drop of blood on a circular saw...it's kinda hard to consider them in the same league as the Salamanders or Space Wolves. Also the Soul Drinkers, who are usually good guys, but have a few issues with Chaos.
- Well technically no one in 40k is good.
- Various characters from the numerous Transformers series play this alternatively straight or subvert it:
- On the evil Decepticons' side, there's Thundercracker, Bonecrusher, Scavenger, Scrapper, Mixmaster, Devastator, Wildrider, Motormaster, Menasor, Reflector, Tankor and Demolishor, just to name a few.
- All but one of the villains in Resident Evil 4 have names ending in an 'R', as does series Big Bad Albert Wesker, and The Ghost villain Ozwell E. Spencer.
- Do the Pokémon Gengar and Haunter count? They're not necessarily evil, but they are scary and their Pokedex entries describe them as being generally unpleasant company.
- Final Fantasy X: Seymour Guado
- Kil'jaeden the Deceiver and Archimonde the Defiler.
- Reapers from Mass Effect.
- Ripper Roo Seriously look at the guy. He's a rabbit who has broken out of, or procured from, an insane asylum. Straightjacket, swirly eyes, seemingly pointless jumping round the level. Yup. SPIN CRASH, SPIN!!
- Total Annihilation`s Krogoth is an example of both K Names and R Names.
- Hitler and Himmler, Those Wacky Nazis
- The list of high-ranking Nazis also included Drexler, the Strassers, Speer, Streicher, Kaltenbrunner, Raeder, Schlegelberger and many others.