They're gonna see us from outta space, outta space
Elena Jane "Ellie" Goulding is a British singer-songwriter. Born in 1986, she first started playing the clarinet at age 9, learned guitar at 14 and got into songwriting soon afterwards. After spending two years studying at the University of Kent, she took a gap year to focus on singing. Originally interested in making folk music, her meeting with electronic record producer Starsmith broadened her sonic horizons, and his influence was greatly left on her debut album Lights
Her follow-up album, Halcyon
, went farther away from the folktronica tag that was slapped on her first album, creating epic electronica soundscapes that were widely regarded as an improvement
from her first album. It also contained a few forays into Dubstep
, likely thanks to her then-boyfriend Skrillex
Ellie is a featured vocalist on:
Ellie Goulding provide examples of:
- Awesome Mc Coolname: Some might be surprised to learn that "Ellie Goulding" isn't a Stage Name.
- Breakup Album: Halcyon is believed to be inspired by Ellie's relationship with her ex, radio DJ Greg James.
- Cover Version: Ellie's been known to do quite a few of these, the most well-known probably being her rendition of Elton John's classic "Your Song". Additional ones include: "High for This" by The Weeknd, "Hanging On" by Active Child, "Tessellate" by Alt-J and "Midas Touch" by Midnight Star.
- Most of them don't deviate much from their originals, but her take on "Midas Touch" is drastically different, turning the upbeat 1980s Funk song into a moody Dubstep-flavored one.
- Darker and Edgier: Halcyon is much darker, lyrically and sonically, than Lights and its re-release were.
- Everyone Loves Blondes
- Gosh Dang It to Heck!: All of her songs are notably devoid of swearing. The closest she gets to doing so is in "Burn" which features the use of the word "hell". Averted in Iggy Azalea's "Heavy Crown", where she uses the word "bitch" to the surprise of some listeners.
- Helium Speech: Implemented as electronic babble in "Only You".
- Hotter and Sexier/Three Minutes of Writhing: The "Lights" video. Ellie gyrating around in a short dress? Check.
- The visuals for the Halcyon album have definitely been a bit saucier, as well.
- Intercourse with You: "Love Me Like You Do", fitting since it was made for the Fifty Shades of Gray soundtrack.
- Limited Special Collector's Ultimate Edition: Her major releases tend to be guilty of this. Lights had a Updated Re Release in the form of Bright Lights and then a condensed US edition after that. Halcyon had multiple editions with exclusive bonus tracks for various territories and retail outlets, and then Halcyon Days (another Updated Re-release) came out —- which had a deluxe edition of its own.
- Ms. Fanservice: Has slowly been adopting this as part of her image, ever since Halcyon.
- Neoclassical Punk Zydeco Rockabilly: Her music is a mix of Pop, Electronic and Folk. Later ditching the folk in favor of Alternative Dance and Dream Pop.
- Non-Appearing Title: "Halcyon" and "Atlantis".
- Obsession Song: Figure 8, and much of Halycon.
- Older Than She Looks: She's 28, but looks like she's only barely in her twenties.
- Precision F-Strike: Not herself, but Tinie Tempah provides the only cursing on Halcyon during the song "Hanging On".
- Record Producer: Starsmith produced most of Lights, while Jim Eliot was the main driving force behind Halcyon.
- Self-Backing Vocalist: Double tracks her vocals often.
- Surreal Music Video: "Figure Eight" contains a chockload of symbolism and unclear imagery.
- Title Track: Subverted by "Lights", which was originally not featured on the standard edition of the album it named, but ended up on its re-release; it was subsequently released as a single and became a huge hit in the United States. Played straight on Halcyon, which is named after the track of the same name.
- To Become Human: "Human".
- A Wild Rapper Appears: Tinie Tempah on "Hanging On", a song that originally didn't have a rap verse.
- You Gotta Have Purple Hair: And she did for a good few months.
- Right now, it's currently pink.
Burn, burn, burn