I want him to feel death.
I want him to smell death.
-From "Coerced Into Idolatry"
Influences:Disgorge, Cannibal Corpse, Internal Suffering, Suffocation, Malignancy, Immolation, Deeds of Flesh, Gorgasm, Brodequin, Cryptopsy, Internal Bleeding, Mortal Decay, Pyrexia, Death, Atheist, Devourment, Monstrosity, Nocturnus, Watchtower, Mekong Delta, Megadeth, Forbidden, Martyr, Cynic, Confessor, Psychotic Waltz, DeathrowDefeated Sanity are a German Technical Brutal Death Metal band.They formed in 1994, originally as a side project of guitarist Wolfgang Teske and his son, drummer Lille Gruber. Gruber is the only original remaining member left in the band, following the departure of Teske in July 2008. The other members are Christian Kühn (guitar), and Jacob Schmidt (bass guitar). For almost a year the band was looking for a new vocalist, due to Jens Staschel leaving the band shortly before Teske; Staschel's replacement, A.J. Magana from Disgorge was announced in June 2009.Since their formation, Defeated Sanity has released three studio albums: Prelude to the Tragedy (2004), and Psalms of the Moribund (2007), both through the United Kingdom-based label Grindethic Records, and Chapters of Repugnance (2010) and Passages into Deformity(2013) through Willowtip Records. Defeated Sanity also released numerous promos, demos and splits. Influenced by bands such as Cannibal Corpse and Suffocation, their music is mostly based on the New York death metal style. On 2 May 2009, the band announced their signing to Willowtip Records.In 2010, shortly after Chapters of Repugnance was released, ex-original member Wolfgang Teske had died of cancer, making any possible chances of him rejoining his son all but hopeless.
Current Line Up:
- Lille Gruber – drums (1994–present)
- Christian Kühn – guitar (2005–present)
- Jacob Schmidt – bass (2005–present)
- Josh Welshman - vocals (2016-present)
Notable Past Members:
- Konstantin "Konni" Lühring – vocals (2011–2015)
- A.J. Magana - vocals (2009–2011)
- Jens Staschel – vocals (2004–2008)
- Markus Keller – vocals (2000–2004)
- Robert Colnik – vocals (1998–2000)
- Wolfgang Teske (RIP 2010) – guitar (1994–2008)
- Christian Muenzner – guitar (1999–2002)
Live Session Line Up:
- Andy Tseung - vocals (EU) (2015)
- Max Phelps - vocals (prog set) (2015-present)
- Kevin Heiderich - guitar (prog set) (2015-2016)
- Tom Geldschlaeger (2016-present)
- Prelude to the Tragedy (2004)
- Psalms of the Moribund (2007)
- Chapters of Repugnance (2010)
- Passages into Deformity (2013)
- Disposal of the Dead/Dharmata (2016)
The band displays examples of the following:
- Altum Videtur: "Introitus"
- Ascended Extra: Josh Welshman.
- Band of Relatives: At one point Lille's brother, Jonas Gruber, was also part of the band along with Wolfgang, but only appeared on demos.
- Brutal Death Metal
- Concept Album: Each half of Disposal of the Dead/Dharmata has its own lyrical concept, to go with the album's two contrasting styles. Disposal deals with funerary practices from around the world, while Dharmata explores Buddhist themes.
- Cool Old Guy: Teske had played in various jazz fusion and progressive rock groups since the seventies, and he initially got into death metal by way of Lille just to challenge himself before he began to treat it as a serious endeavor.
- Cover Version: "Butchered at Birth" by Cannibal Corpse
- Distinct Double Album: Disposal of the Dead/Dharmata is this by way of exploring both major aspects of their sound; one side is loaded with big, dumb slams, while the other side is far more technical and progressive than anything else they've ever done. The band has variously described the album as a "double EP" and a "split album with ourselves".
- Epic Rocking: "Perspectives" is 6:49 minutes long, "The Mesmerizing Light" is 6:46, and "Return to Samsara" is 8:40.
- Gorn: As per being Death Metal, this is expected
- Horrible History Metal: "Stoned then Defiled" seems to be a rather graphic description of what happens to those who break religious laws, one of the executions being stoned.
- I Am the Band: Lille Gruber is this as far as the legacy of the band goes, being the only original member. However, Schmidt joined the band in 2005 and shares songwriting duties alongside Gruber and Kuhn when Wolfgang left in 2008, and passed away in 2010.
- I'm a Humanitarian: "Consuming Grief", in this case ritual cannibalism of the deceased.
- Instrumentals: "Introitus"
- Lead Bassist: Jacob Schmidt is a Type A and Type C, as he's astoundingly skilled from a technical standpoint and also shares songwriting duties with Lille.
- Lead Drummer: Lille Gruber essentially is the band (though Schmidt does a lot as well) and writes most of the material, in addition to being known for his very unique style and extreme technical ability.
- Like Father, Like Son: Wolfgang and Lille, until the former passed away in 2010.
- Miniscule Rocking:
- "Arousal Through Punishment" from Psalms is only 1:42 minutes long
- "Initiation" off Passages, while even shorter (1:15), is possibly a subversion, as although it's considered a single track, they tend to play "Naraka" right after as if they are the same songs split into two live.
- "Remotio Morturorum" from Disposal of the Dead // Dharmata is two minutes and "Dharmata" from the same album is one minute, though those are more like intros to their respective sides of the album than proper songs.
- Mohs Scale of Rock and Metal Hardness: Hard 10/Solid 11.
- New Sound Album:
- Psalms was far denser and more complex than the straightforward NYDM worship of Prelude, in addition to being far heavier.
- Chapters was even more complex and focused less on brutality and more on unpredictable, constantly shifting arrangements.
- Passages brought back some of the retro-NYDM that was present in their early material, as well as focusing less on technicality and more on an "evil" atmosphere.
- Disposal of the Dead/Dharmata is an experiment that is intended to isolate the two main components of their sound and play them in their style; the former half is raw, stripped-down, and far slammier than they would ever normally be, while the latter half is old-school progressive death metal that has absolutely none of the more brutal elements of their sound.
- Progressive Metal: Dharmata.
- Revolving Door Band: There was a lot of turnover early on and Lille is the only remaining founder, but Schmidt and Kuhn have both been in the band for eleven years and the only people who come and go with any regularity are vocalists.
- Sampling: "Coerced Into Idolatry", among others.
- Signature Style: Extremely fast and heavy material that blends NYDM with jazz and classical music, though in a decidedly non-melodic manner; in fact, the jazz and classical compositional elements are used to make the material convey even more of a sense of unease.
- Special Guest: Frank Rini (Internal Bleeding) and Brian Forgue (Syphilic) have contributed guest vocals, and Magana returned just to deliver a guest spot on Passages; the Dharmata new album also features Max Phelps (also of Death to All) as a session vocalist.
- Spiritual Successor: Arguably one to either Disgorge or Suffocation.
- Technical Death Metal: Basically what Disgorge or Devourment would sound like if they were to increase said complex musicianship to a new level and had a jazz drummer and a classical composer bassist.
- Technician vs. Performer: Lille and Jacob (technicians) versus Christian (performer). Christian apparently just comes up with stuff on the fly and usually gravitates towards more standard (though still quite technical) brutal death and slam riffing, which contrasts Lille and Jacob's more deliberate and perfectionist songwriting styles and focus on more technical and unconventional material. Lille even stated that Christian's more casual approach to songwriting is always a big help whenever he and/or Jacob hit a brick wall and can't come up with anything or can't make something that they're working on come out the way that they want it to.
- Teen Genius: Gruber was only twelve when he formed the band with Teske, Muenzner was around seventeen or eighteen when he joined, and Schmidt was also around eighteen when he joined.
- X Meets Y: Atheist meets Disgorge.