L to R: Christian, Konni, Jacob, and Lille
I want him to feel death.
I want him to smell death.
-From "Coerced Into Idolatry"
Defeated Sanity are a German Technical Brutal Death Metal
They formed in 1994, originally as a side project of guitarist Wolfgang Teske and his son, drummer Lille Gruber. Gruber is the only original remaining member left in the band, following the departure of Teske in July 2008. The other members are Christian Kühn (guitar), and Jacob Schmidt (bass guitar). For almost a year the band was looking for a new vocalist, due to Jens Staschel leaving the band shortly before Teske; Staschel's replacement, A.J. Magana from Disgorge
was announced in June 2009.
Since their formation, Defeated Sanity has released three studio albums: Prelude to the Tragedy
(2004), and Psalms of the Moribund
(2007), both through the United Kingdom-based label Grindethic Records, and Chapters of Repugnance
(2010) and Passages into Deformity
(2013) through Willowtip Records. Defeated Sanity also released numerous promos, demos and splits. Influenced by bands such as Cannibal Corpse
, their music is mostly based on the New York death metal style. On 2 May 2009, the band announced their signing to Willowtip Records.
In 2010, shortly after Chapters of Repugnance
was released, ex-original member Wolfgang Teske had died of cancer, making any possible chances of him rejoining his son all but hopeless.
Current Line Up:
- Lille Gruber – drums (1994–present)
- Christian Kühn – guitar (2005–present)
- Jacob Schmidt – bass (2005–present)
- Konstantin "Konni" Lühring – vocals (2011–present)
Notable Past Members:
- A.J. Magana - vocals (2009–2011)
- Jens Staschel – vocals (2004–2008)
- Markus Keller – vocals (2000–2004)
- Robert Colnik – vocals (1998–2000)
- Wolfgang Teske (RIP 2010) – guitar (1994–2008)
- Christian Müenzner – guitar (1999–2002)
- Prelude to the Tragedy (2004)
- Psalms of the Moribund (2007)
- Chapters of Repugnance (2010)
- Passages into Deformity (2013)
The band displays examples of the following:
- Altum Videtur: "Introitus"
- Author Existence Failure: Wolfgang Teske
- Band of Relatives: At one point Lille's brother, Jonas Gruber, was also part of the band along with Wolfgang, but only appeared on demos.
- Brutal Death Metal
- Cool Old Guy: Teske had played in various jazz fusion and progressive rock groups since the seventies, and he initially got into death metal by way of Lille just to challenge himself before he began to treat it as a serious endeavor.
- Cover Version: "Butchered at Birth" by Cannibal Corpse
- Epic Rocking: "Perspectives" is 6:49 minutes long.
- Four Man Band:
- Gorn: As per being Death Metal, this is expected
- Horrible History Metal: "Stoned then Defiled" seems to be a rather graphic description of what happens to those who break religious laws, one of the executions being stoned.
- I Am the Band: Lille Gruber is this as far as the legacy of the band goes, being the only original member. However, Schmidt joined the band in 2005 and shares songwriting duties alongside Gruber when Wolfgang left in 2008, and passed away in 2010.
- Instrumentals: "Introitus"
- Lead Bassist: Jacob Schmidt is a Type A and Type C, as he's astoundingly skilled from a technical standpoint and also shares songwriting duties with Lille.
- Like Father, Like Son: Wolfgang and Lille, until the former passed away in 2010.
- Miniscule Rocking:
- "Arousal Through Punishment" from Psalms is only 1:42 minutes long
- "Initiation" off Passages, while even shorter (1:15), is possibly a subversion, as although it's considered a single track, they tend to play "Naranka" right after as if they are the same songs split into two.
- Mohs Scale of Rock and Metal Hardness: Hard 10/Solid 11.
- New Sound Album:
- Psalms was far denser and more complex than the straightforward NYDM worship of Prelude, in addition to being far heavier.
- Chapters was even more complex and focused less on brutality and more on unpredictable, constantly shifting arrangements.
- Passages brought back some of the retro-NYDM that was present in their early material, as well as focusing less on technicality and more on an "evil" atmosphere.
- Revolving Door Band: Ever since it's birth, Lille remains the only original member left, as his father left shortly before passing away.
- Sampling: "Coerced Into Idolatry", among others.
- Signature Style: Extremely fast and heavy material that blends NYDM with jazz and classical music, though in a decidedly non-melodic manner; in fact, the jazz and classical compositional elements are used to make the material convey even more of a sense of unease.
- Special Guest: Frank Rini (Internal Bleeding) and Brian Forgue (Syphilic) have contributed guest vocals, and Magana returned just to deliver a guest spot on Passages.
- Spiritual Successor: Arguably one to either Disgorge or Suffocation.
- Technical Death Metal: Basically what Disgorge or Devourment would sound like if they were to increase said complex musicianship to a new level and had a jazz drummer and a classical composer bassist.