Neneko Kaneko is a high school student possessed by a yamanko
or "yama no ko" mountain spirit from a rural family full of other yamankos, who moves in with her aunt in the city to go to high school. There she's joined by the gloomy would-be poet Makoto Watanabe and the overly cheerful and child-like Chimi Kitou. Chimi can see spiritual forces out of one eye, which lets her spot the tail of Nene's possessing spirit. As well, Makoto is strong with a "shadow essence" that calms spirits by mere proximity... And it just so happens that the yamanko's ears and tail appear on Nene whenever she loses her cool, requiring her to stay near Makoto in public to keep them from appearing.Yamanko!
is a Slice of Life Seinen Shoujo Ai
comedy manga written by Zappa Go (the writer of Please Teacher!
, Chocotto Sister
, and Domina no Do!
) and drawn by Itou Ryou.
- A-Cup Angst: Makoto. Even though Nene doesn't seem to mind
- All Just a Dream: Makoto spends a chapter dreaming she'd been shrunk to the size of a small doll. Makoto's Love Confession at the end of chapter 12 turns out to be a dream Nene was having.
- Always in Class One
- Beach Episode: Chapter 7
- Berserk Button: Don't make Neneko drop her crepe
- Bifauxnen: Makoto
- Big Damn Kiss: In chapters 21 & 22 between Neneko and Makoto
- Blessed with Suck: Makoto has a powerful "shadow essence," which helps Nene suppress her yamanko traits but makes Makoto overall gloomy and prone to depression.
- Blinding Bangs/Peek-a-Bangs: Makoto
- Book Dumb: Nene
- Cannot Spit It Out: Between Neneko and Makoto, but generally more from Nene's side
- Cat Girl: Neneko and her aunt Nonoko, as a consequence of being yamankos
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Nene gets pretty jealous when Makoto is nice to other girls.
- Cloudcuckoolander: Chimi
- Cool Big Sis: Nonoko behaves likes this toward Neneko, even though she is her aunt.
- Cool Down Hug: Makoto hugs Nene to suppress her ears and tail.
- Crash-Into Hello: Nene and Makoto meet when Nene falls out of a tree on top of Makoto.
- Cursed with Awesome: Nene has superior reflexes, balance, and strength, and heightened senses, in exchange for cat ears and tail that come out when she uses her powers or if she loses control of her feelings. Given that she's a student in a romantic comedy and not a superhero, it's inconvenient more often than not.
- Diving Save
- First Episode Spoiler: Makoto is a girl.
- Freud Was Right: Invoked and parodied. Ogawa spots Nene's tail a couple times when it slips out and describes it as "big and black and fully erect" to Tanaka, who assumes Ogawa is feverish or sexually frustrated.
- Freudian Slip: After their second kiss Nene is yelling at Makoto for doing it in front of the whole school, and say's that they can't kiss in public, which Chimi takes to mean that the two will kiss in private, cue stuttering denial and embarrassed face.
- Genki Girl: Chimi
- Indirect Kiss: From Nene with Makoto's shaved ice, but stolen by Chimi.
- Kissing Under the Influence: Nonoko ravishes Makoto after being exposed to some Catnip-like incense.
- Male Gaze: There are quite a lot of shots of the girls boobs, butts, thighs, and crotches. Also the girls themselves sometimes focus on these spots.
- Magical Eye: Chimi can see spirits out of her left eye.
- Meganekko: Tanaka
- Mistaken for Gay: Probably not actually mistaken, but Ogawa constantly catches Nene and Makoto in Not What It Looks Like situations, and assumes the two are together.
- Not What It Looks Like: Ogawa regularly walks in on Makoto suppressing Nene's ears and tail.
- Older Than They Look: Chimi looks about 10 years old. She's 16.
- Panty Shot: Part of how Nene and Makoto meet.
- Ogawa gives a nice one when Makoto accidently pulls her pants down.
- We see Rin's panty covered ass before we see her face.
- Personality Powers: Is Makoto gloomy because of her strong shadow essence or does she have a strong shadow essence because she's gloomy? Nonoko implies it could go both ways.
- Power Incontinence: Nene's ears and tail pop out when she's particularly excited, frightened, or even just too relaxed.
- Power Nullifier: Makoto's shadow essence to Nene's yamanko sun essence, and implied to be able to do so for other spirits.
- Rapunzel Hair: Neneko and Nonoko both have hair past their waist though Nene tends to have her's in a pony tail.
- School Girl Lesbians: Nene and Makoto are pretty obviously into each other.
- Also Memeki gave Nonoko a love letter in high school.
- Single Teacher School: Despite it being a big city school only one teacher is shown and her name isn't given till chapter twelve. Though this can be explained that since all the named students are in the same class there is no reason to show other teachers..
- Sweet Tooth: Nene tends to idly snack all the time, while Chimi makes a big gluttonous show of it, piling boxes and bags of candy into their shopping cart. Guess which one has to go to the dentist with a cavity.
- Tanuki: Rin Roppin needs to fill a gem with light from performing tricks on people so she can become heir of her tanuki family.
- Those Two Girls: Iku Ogawa and Kanori Tanaka
- Tsundere: Nene.
- Will They or Won't They?: Between Neneko and Makoto.
- With Friends Like These...: With the way Rin and Nene fight it can come as a surprise that the two actually consider each other friends.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Nene