Shaman King: Flowers
is a Sequel Series
to the original Shaman King
Set in the future, the series follows Yoh's heir, Asakura Hana, a shaman just recently coming into his powers. Unlike Yoh however, Hana is quite brash and doesn't see why he must carry on his family legacy. However plenty of surprises are headed his way such as two members in his family on Hao's side who wish to become the only main branch of the family, and of course a girl who's not unlike Anna.
A pilot of the series was drawn in 2009 but seems to have been retconned for the main series which started on April 2012.
Shaman King: Flowers has the following tropes:
- Big Bad Duumvirate: Yosuke and the previous Shaman King, YVS are shaping up as this.
- Big Damn Heroes: Alumi in chapter 10.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: In Chapter 10, Alumi tells Ryuji to go "read the Kan Zen Ban" because she doesn't feel like explaining.
- Calling the Old Man Out: Played with since Hana calls out the 14 years old replica of Yoh who doesn't know what he did in the future.
- Combat by Champion: "The Flower of Maize" as a whole. Each of the previous Shaman Kings choose a team of 5 champions to battle in this war to decide if the current Shaman King is worthy of being god. They do this since a battle between gods would be too much for the world to handle.
- Commonality Connection: Yohane and Hana (though the latter doesn't admit it) get closer for being two solitary shaman boys; not to mention they're cousins.
- Continuity Cameo: O-Onii (The big red oni from Anna and Yoh's past) makes a cameo.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Anna the III versus anyone, Hana's Oni's versus Luka and Yoh's younger self summoned by Hao versus Hana.
- Defeat Means Friendship: Tamao went to "talk" with Yohane and Luka's father to make a truce. After that, Yohane and Luka act decent towards Hana.
- Five-Man Band: There is one leader, three warriors, and a support, making a total of 5. So far, Hana's "Team Hao" team has four members.
- Forgotten First Meeting: Hana's first meeting with Alumi, that happened while the Patch village was being destroyed by YVS.
- Homoerotic Subtext: Between Hana and Yohane's friendship has this on occasion, much to the ire of Alumi, who's ironically the first to jokingly point this out on her first day of class.
- I Just Want to Be Normal: Averted. Hana spends the first two chapters of Flowers complaining that the times are too peaceful for his liking. He's craving the World of Badass of the previous age. Of course, he's probably going to get his wish.
- Mind Control: Luka turns out to have been subjected to this.
- Out-of-Clothes Experience: Baby Hana's first meeting with Hao.
- Reality Ensues: Hana points out that killing your enemies, even in a magical duel, gets you sent to jail.
- Recycled Premise: Judging by the way the story is developing, and copious amounts of characters based on the original cast, this is what's happening.
- Averted in the characters themselves, however. A lot of the new characters are actually inversions of their predecessors. E.g. Hana's the complete opposite of Yoh in that he actively chases action in contrast to the other's laidback nature. Similarly, Alumi is brash and outgoing, the polar opposite of Anna's quiet, reclusive Broken Bird personality. Extra props go to Tamao who's become the new Anna, and thus become an inversion of herself as a Shrinking Violet.
- Samus Is a Girl: Gakko Ibuki's guardian ghost, Namaha the Nama-Hage.
- Sequel Escalation: The series started with Hana already mastering his own O.S. Oni Kabuto, an ARMOR Type Oversoul. To balance this, his first opponent(s) are using a simmilar technique to Yoh's Story Breaker Power.
- The stakes are also higher as the battle revolves around the Shaman Kings of the past taking issue with Hao as the new Shaman King.
- Sequel Series
- She's All Grown Up: Tamao, Hana's guardian. She really grew out of her wallflower persona. Think Anna, as a Statuesque Stunner.
- Shoutout: Some of the branch Asakura Oversouls are named and take their appearances after Zeon Mobile Suits.
- Succession Crisis: Two of the family on Hao's side claim they're the main family of the Asakura branch and begin starting trouble just to prove it.
- Taken for Granite: Amidamaru and Daikyoh were turned into stone by Luka.
- Took a Level in Badass: Tamao, full stop. Not only has she practically become a second Anna, paralyzing people with just a glint of her eyes, she also effortlessly defeated a supposed Big Bad single-handedly.