The fourth series of the manga adaptation of the Kingdom Hearts
series, adapted from Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 Days
. Like all the other manga adaptations, it is Lighter and Softer
than the game, due to the focus on comedy.
As of February 2014, all five volumes have been released in Japan, while the first three volumes have been released in English, with Volumes 4 and 5 confirmed for localisation in late 2014.
This manga contains examples of:
- Adapted Out: The manga adaptation cuts out Halloween Town. Justified as it didn't even appear in the other games' adaptations, either.
- Attack Of The 50-Foot Nobody: Roxas becomes one for short moment when he took a bite out of a mushroom in Wonderland, causing him to tower over the forest and force Luxord to ride in his ear. It gets inverted later on, when Luxord finds some mushrooms during the croquet match.
- Bound and Gagged: Roxas, when about to be executed by a guillotine in Wonderland.
- And later on, the Lost Boys tie Roxas and Axel to a tree when they were mistaken for pirates. Fortunately, Tinker Bell was able to clear their names.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: When Genie helps Roxas and Xion with fighting the Antlion in the middle of a sandstorm, he mentioned that "we're running out of pages"
- Canon Foreigner: Peter Pan. He didn't appear in the game.
- And there's also the Caterpillar, though his appearance is more of a cameo.
- Christmas Episode: In a bonus chapter. During a rather cold day in The World That Never Was, several members decide to take a day off, much to Saïx's displeasure. Though they decide to work anyway due to a bad smell, which they blame on Vexen. It actually came from some soybeans that Zexion was fermenting with the table heater.
- Clingy MacGuffin: When Roxas throws his Keyblade out the window in a fit of anger, it reappears in his hand.
- Cuteness Proximity: Xion does this when she meets Pluto.
- A Day in the Limelight: Luxord gets plenty of focus during the "Wonderland Gambler Trilogy".
- Did I Just Say That Out Loud?: Axel calls Saïx a jerk in Chapter 18, completely unaware that Saïx was right behind him.
- Disguised in Drag: Roxas is forced to disguise himself in a French Maid Outfit as "Mary Ann" when he and a tiny Luxord trespass the White Rabbit's house. The Rabbit isn't fooled.
- Distressed Dude: Luxord, while in Wonderland, due to being shrunk down to the size of an ant and being tormented by the Cheshire Cat while separated from Roxas. And later on, while trying to save Roxas from a trial, he finds himself being used as a croquet ball by the Queen of Hearts.
- Downer Ending: Well, it is based on a game with a really depressing ending.
- Face Doodling: Happens to Roxas several times, courtesy of a trio of mischievous Dusks.
- Incredible Shrinking Man: Roxas and Luxord both shrink when they drank a bottle in Wonderland.
- Jackass Genie: Not the one in Agrabah, mind you. Roxas wanted to be let out of the cage he was imprisoned in while in Wonderland, and since Luxord was unable to help out, he asked the Cheshire Cat for help. The cat gets him out by throwing a hedgehog towards the Queen of Hearts, causing her to order Roxas' execution by guillotine.
- Oh Crap: Several times
- First was by Xion, when she attempted to clean a comatose Roxas' face from vandalism, only to find that the dusks used permanent ink.
- Second, by both Roxas and Xion when told that they are to be in separate missions during the time Xion was unable to use her Keyblade. Fortunately, Axel was able to win them one more day together by claiming that he can wear down the one in Beast's Castle for awhile.
- Pet the Dog:
- Demyx helps Xion watch over the comatose Roxas.
- When the Queen of Hearts' castle is destroyed, Luxord wipes her tears and makes a giant card castle as a replacement.
- Series Continuity Error: Belle remembers Sora, even though he's sleeping at this point, and the game outright states that everyone he knew before had forgotten about him while he slept for a year.
- Shout-Out: Among the many faces the Dusks doodle on Roxas is Groucho Marx.
- Ship Tease: The Roxas/Xion shipping goes from being subtext in the game to being all but them admiting it, they almost seem like an Official Couple. Examples include:
- Xion saying holding Roxas' Keyblade feels like she's holding his hand.
- One of the two saying can you imagine us doing anything other than eat ice cream, cue both of them giving each other awkward stares.
- Stay in the Kitchen: When the Heartless take control of Beast's Castle, the servants try to convince Belle to stay in her room, but she refuses and helps fight the Heartless. Surprisingly, she later tries to convince the same to Xion, due to her younger appearance.
- Whoopee Cushion: Demyx and Larxene put one on Axel's chair.