What happens when you add Tank Goodness
with Instant A.I., Just Add Water
? An awesome soldier with firepower, mobility, and armor thatís what. Occupying the hostile grey land between Attack Drone
and Androids (or Gynoids), they tend to fight hard for truth, justice, and the meat-bag way. Also have a tendency to be protagonist
For additional flavor some such tanks are Haunted Technology
possessed by ghosts, demons, or sprits instead of sprites, desktops, or gears.
Anime and Manga
- Ghost in the Shell. Tachikoma automated tankettes and Uchikomas.
- A Magitek version is present in Slayers REVOLUTION. the "magic tanks" are apparently an offshoot of the Zanaffar Armor artifact created from animals, and thus do not need crew.
- Bogey in The Third: The Girl with the Blue Eye is a robotic brain installed in a desert-trekking tank.
- Sir Cyrano de Bergerac in Sisters of Wellber is a talking, sentient tank that is probably powered by some kind of magic.
- Those Who Hunt Elves had a tank that was haunted by the spirit of a cat as the team pet after their Summon Everyman Hero plot ran out of gas and needed something supernatural to keep the tank running.
- Back in the propaganda days of DC comics, there were a group of World War 2 veterans who traveled around in a tank haunted by the spirit of a famous general who gave them cryptic advice. Their vehicle was called The Haunted Tank.
- In Terminator 2: Judgment Day, there are Skynet's independent armor formations in the future. They can be seen hunting human soldiers in the beginning of the movie.
- The Decepticon Brawl in the first Transformers who turned into a tank.
- BIONICLE. Subverted with the Skopio, it may look like a sentient scorpion tank, but it was actually just a giant scorpion modified to be like a tank by the Great Beings.
- The Separatist tanks from 'Star Wars'' are either this or crewed by robots. Basically, everything that looks more or less like a vehicle is crewed, and stuff that looks like giant mechanical spiders or big roller-wheel thingies are AI-controlled big honking droids.
- Bolo: the titular warrior poets.
- In The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Marvin provokes a massive but simple-minded robot-tank that's standing on a bridge connecting two high office towers into showing off it's destructive arsenal, and the drone promptly shoots the bridge supports, resulting in it falling down and getting smashed.
- In Charles Stross' novel Glasshouse, the protagonist recalls being converted into one of these during the wars he fought.
- One That Mitchell and Webb Look sketch features a giant robotic scorpion created by Doctor Death (which, it turns out, he sincerely intended for peaceful purposes).
- Steve Jackson Games
- GURPS Reign of Steel, which was based on the Terminator films. The Zonemind AIs have a number of weapons available to them, such as the XAU-03 "Juggernaut" (a robot battle tank armed with a particle beam cannon). It has a neural net computer brain.
- OGRE is all about giant cybertanks fighting against a mass of more conventional combat vehicles.
- Paranoia has warbots and combots, all with their own bot brains.
- Shadowrun has ground attack drones of various sorts, some of which are capable of attacking on their own.
- Warhammer 40,000:
- Some armored vehicles are known to be capable of acting on their own. Whether the "machine spirit" is an Artificial Intelligence or an actual spirit is another question entirely.
- Chaos Space Marines simply use demon-possessed vehicles.
- Aftermath! Book 3 The World of the Aftermath. One of the examples of robot-controlled devices is a Cybernetic Tank, an advanced version of which has Artificial Intelligence.
- All Transformers with a tank-based alt-mode. More often than not, they're evil Decepticons and tend to be The Brute, but there are still many exceptions. Most notably, Megatron is often depicted as tank, though he changes alt-modes very frequently.
- Red vs. Blue has Sheila, a very nice and sweet sentient AI who just happens to be installed in a badass tank, and considers herself just as "human" as the actual human soldiers on the teams. One of the soldiers becomes especially fond of her and ends up being the one who rides around in her the most.
- The SCP Foundation has SCP-802, a tank that patrols a small region and attacks any who come near it, and SCP-516, a nonviolent (until pressed) tank.
- Tankor, the dim-witted tank Vehicon from Beast Machines, at least until Rhinox's personality resurfaces again.