A work of Speculative Fiction
by Charles Stross
This series provides examples of:
- Amnesiac Dissonance: The main character of Glasshouse practically exemplifies this trope, although it's subverted in that he was good both before and after he had amnesia, but he was simply more violent.
- Fish Out of Temporal Water: Reeve and all the other participants in the "experiment" in Glasshouse, trying to live as late 20th-century suburbanites.
- Gender Bender: Robin, who is turned into a female named Reeve when he enters the experiment in Glasshouse (He isn't fazed, as he's been female before).
- Laxative Prank: Reeve spikes Fiore's coffee with this and chocolate in Glasshouse to give herself time to take an impression of his key to the special room in the library.
- Memory Gambit: In Glasshouse, the main character erased whole chunks of his memory so he could infiltrate a secret facility.
- Mind Virus: "CuriousYellow", a virus that's done an unknown amount of damage...because one of the things the virus did was erase the memories of anyone who knew why it was released in the first place.
- In Glasshouse, Curious Yellow is named after to the Swedish film I Am Curious (Yellow) (or more directly, after a paper about computer worm design).
- The Linebarger Cats are named in honor of Paul Linebarger, who literally wrote the book on psychological warfare, and his well-known proclivity for cats and catgirls. He's better known to sci-fi fans as Cordwainer Smith. One of the cover companies the Cats use is Cordwainer Heavy Industries. Another is the Deadly Viper Assassination Squad.
- Sapient Tank: the protagonist recalls being converted into one of these during the wars he fought.
- Someone to Remember Him By: Subverted. Sam dies and leaves Reeve pregnant, and it looks like this trope... until we find out that his personality and memories were backed up just before the battle. Made more complicated by the fact that he chooses to be restored as his original female form, Kai. So is Sam dead? Depends on what you mean by "dead," and what you mean by "Sam"...
- The Virus: Curious Yellow is a worm in Glasshouse that infects people when they pass through A-gates so they, in turn, infect other gates and other people. It not only erases blocks of memory, but erases the reason for what started the war in in the first place.