Man in Black: You're that smart?
Man in Black: Yes?
This is a form of boast where a person claims that he is the best at something by bringing up the names of people who are well known for being good at that thing and then claiming that all of those people are second rate compared to him. May be a type of behavior found in the Narcissist
or people with the Small Name, Big Ego
trait, who naturally believes that he's the best at everything.
Note that the insulted person does not have to be someone who is well known for the trait in Real Life
. It could be a person who is known for it in-universe. In this case, his fame
will be established beforehand.
For even more outrageous claims, see Blasphemous Boast
. For actual
anti-platonism (which is the position that "abstract entities" don't exist) see Meaningless Meaningful Words
open/close all folders
- The Chessmaster in the 2000 AD strip Caballistics, Inc. is one Ethan Kostabi, an eccentric 1970s former rock star strongly resembling David Bowie. Whenever Kostabi's success as a musician is described, comparisons are always made to Bowie, and Bowie is always described as having been greatly inferior—having sold fewer albums and having "scavenged a career out of the discarded fads and influences that Ethan left in his wake".
- Reed Richards of Fantastic Four is widely regarded as the smartest human in the universe. Even his enemies- The Wizard, The Mad Thinker, The Mole Man and others- have great respect for his intellect, if only because they think he is the one man on Earth capable of appreciating what they have done. But then we get Doctor Doom, the one man on the entire Marvel Universe who thinks Reed is a hack, a fraud, and a complete and utter moron, and is fairly fond of reminding everyone in earshot of his feelings Every. Single. Issue.
- According to Senator Rector of The Nightly News: "Chomsky's a fucking retard."
- As indicated by the page quote, Vizzini from The Princess Bride thinks that he is smarter than Plato, Aristotle and Socrates. (Unless all three of them could also be so easily outsmarted the same way he was, he was proven wrong.)
- Thrax, an anthropomorphic virus, in Osmosis Jones: "Ebola is a case of dandruff compared to me!"
- At one point in the film adaptation of Watchmen, Adrian Veidt of Veidt Enterprises boasts to the heads of major corporations that he's worth more than all of them combined and can "buy and sell them all three times over". At least one of the other corporate representatives Adrian is addressing directly is a Real Life figure—Lee Iacocca, who is known for having revived the Chrysler Corporation in The Eighties.
- On The Sword in the Stone, Madame Mim brags about being a better wizard than Merlin, "The world's most powerful bungler."
- In The Usual Suspects, when preparing for an impressive sniping feat, MacManus mumbles to himself "Oswald was a fag."
- According to the killer in Mindhunters, John Wayne Gacey, Jeffrey Dahmer, and Ted Bundy are "tired old hacks."
- The murderous ghost in The Frighteners is obsessed in death, as he was in life, with racking up the highest body count of any serial killer in history. Whenever he passes one of their records, he crows with joy about it. His last words in life were "Got me a score of 12, sir, one more than Starkweather." Later on, his astral form brags about beating Gacy, and says he can't wait to break Bundy's record so he can rub it in his face.
Live Action TV
- House has occasionally referred to other respected members of the medical community as "idiots". A rare example of this being justified, as House usually does turn out to be smarter than they are (at least in that he's able to solve some puzzle they can't, House himself does some pretty stupid things for a guy as smart as him).
- Simon inverts this in Firefly, describing how, although he's incredibly intelligent, he's not even second-rate compared to River:
I am very smart. I went to the best Med-Acad in Osiris, top three percent of my class, finished my internship in eight months. "Gifted" is the term. So when I tell you that my little sister makes me look like an idiot child, I want you to understand my full meaning.
- Happens in the Flight of the Conchords episode "Tough Bret":
is not very good. 50 Cent
is not very good. Snoop Dogg
is not very good. Mos Def is not very good. But the Rhymnocerous is very very good!"
- 3rd Rock from the Sun
: I made the front page of The Daily Badgerian
: What's it say? Sally
: [reading headline]
"Physics professor calls Einstein
idiot; proclaims self much smarter."
- Sheldon Cooper, the brilliant but highly egotistical theoretical physicist from The Big Bang Theory once agreed that he wasn't like Isaac Newton, because..."Gravity would have been apparent to me without the apple!"
- Rodney Mckay considers himself the smartest person in two galaxies and believes his own birthday to be as significant as Newton's and Einstein's.
- One episode of Profit has Jim Profit comment how a spider carefully weaves its web, an invisible inescapable trap... Before stepping on it, calling it an amateur.
- In Tony Hawk's American Wasteland, the main character says this in reference to a well-known Badass named Iggy Van Zandt:
Main Character: "Iggy's a punk. I'm a freaking badass."
- Baldur's Gate: Edwin gives us this if you repeatedly annoy him:
- In Portal 2, after being called a "moron" one too many times, Wheatley decided to prove his intelligence by reading Machiavelli (or claiming to, anyway) and commenting on how easy it was.
Wheatley: Do not understand what all the fuss was about. Understood it perfectly. Have you read it?
Wheatley: Yeah, doubt it. Well, on with the test!
- Mr. Mechanical from Freedom Force is a disgraced architect with an army of giant robots trying to destroy a city both because of its "inferior designs" and because they "sabotaged" one of his buildings (in truth, the building collapsed on its own). In his final rampage, he makes insulting remarks about Gropius and Frank Lloyd Wright.
- In The Real Ghostbusters episode "Russian About", one of the Soviet professors declares "Einstein— fraud, phooey!", prompting Egon to argue with him.
- Uwe Boll: "I'm not a fucking retard like Michael Bay or other people running around in the business, or Eli Roth making the same shitty movies over and over again. If you really look at my movies, you will see my real genius, you know?"
- Philippus Aureolus Theophrastus Bombastus von Hohenheim took this to its logical extent by naming himself as Paracelsus. Aulus Cornelius Celsus was a Roman encyclopedist who had written what had been one of the seminal tracts on medicine from Rome to his era, including such things as surgery, identification of the fever as a defense mechanism, and cancer, and the name "Paracelsus" literally meant that Philippus Aureolus Theophrastus Bombastus von Hohenheim was "greater than Celsus." To be fair, in the time of Philippus Aureolus Theophrastus Bombastus *gasp* von Hohenheim, the primary method of medical treatment was purging and bloodletting stemming from the "humourism" and traditional ancient treatments from the golden era of Rome and Greece passed down from Hippocrates and Galen, so he may have had some reason to buff his already-copious ego. PATB von Hohenheim is currently credited with inventing the field of toxicology.
- Ayn Rand was once quoted as saying that, in the history of philosophy, she could only recommend the "three As" of Aristotle, Thomas Aquinas and herself.
- Aristotle was kind of an idiot when it came to science, believing many easy to disprove theories that people believed for centuries because they came from his mouth. Most scientists involved in the fields he dabbled in can safely say he didn't know jack about optics, or gravity, or dentistry for that matter.
- Though modern scientists have thousands of years' worth of accumulated knowledge which Aristotle didn't, his largest flaw as a scientist was the fact that he rarely used experimentation or even just... Checked. For instance, having observed that mares have fewer teeth than stallions, he proclaimed that women also have fewer teeth than men without bothering to examine any human volunteers.