This is precious. Unless you're a pillow.
"Last night I dreamed that I was eating a giant marshmallow, and when I woke up, my pillow was gone!"
A staple dream type found in comics and animation. It does not always require marshmallows in the dream sequence, but does require a pillow in the dreamer's bed. Upon awakening from a marshmallow dream, said dreamer will find the pillow to be missing or shredded. The dreamer's mouth is usually infested with feathers that were once stuffed in the pillow.
The lower the dreamer's intelligence, the more likely this is to happen, and the less need for there to be an actual marshmallow in the dream. Big Eaters
are, of course, prone to this trope as well.
Always Played for Laughs
, it exists solely due to Rule of Funny
. It's likely Older than You Think
Not to be confused with Marshmallow Hell
Works featuring marshmallow dreams:
Anime and Manga
- Motto To Love Ru has a variation. When Mikan crawls into Rito's bed to catch one of the other girls in the act of crawling into his bed while he's sleeping, he grabs her in his sleep and his mumblings hint that he is acting like he's grabbed the 'marshmallow'. When she pinches his cheek to have him release her, his response is to claim that the 'marshmallow bit him'. Neither the pillow or Mikan is harmed when they wake (although Mikan is 'caught' by the one she was trying to catch).
- In an eyecatch for Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha A's, Nanoha is shown happily eating sweet potatoes... pan down to show that it's only a dream, and she's actually gnawing on a struggling Yuuno.
- A somewhat NSFW fanfic which has been (almost) lost to time titled "Mr. Fuzzywumpus" gives us a variant. Through a chain of events a girl thinks that Sonic, Shadow and Silver are her pets, and she ends up "letting them" sleep in her bed. Shadow wakes up to find Sonic (with Easy Amnesia) cuddling up to him, and Silver ends up in a compromising position trying to separate them.
Sonic gave a little nudge. Silver's left foot lost traction, as his right went sliding over Sonic's far shoulder. His rear end landed quite squarely on Sonic's chest, with his back towards Sonic's feet, and his front towards his pillow. That put something important right in front of Sonic's face.
"I don't know about you guys, but I had a wonderful dream last night..." He turned back to the bed. "It was like being inside a giant ball of cotton candy, only it wasn't all sugary. And talk about soft...ummm...are you two quite all right?
- The Pony Earthverse has turned this into a running gag; whenever characters talk with their ponies for the first time, they end up with a pillow in their mouth.
- Subverted on The Colbert Report
Colbert: I dreamt I was eating a giant marshmallow, and when I woke up, my giant marshmallow was gone.
- Subverted in an episode of The Golden Girls.
Carol: Last night, I dreamt I was eating a giant marshmallow, and when I woke up my boyfriend was gone.
Man: I don't get it.
Carol: It's not a joke.
- Played straight in an episode of After Show Golden Palace, when Chuy — under the guise of "Corny Castillos" — plans on putting this exact joke in his act for the hotel talent show.
- Conversed (in a hoedown!) by Colin Mochrie in the UK Whose Line Is It Anyway?. When he has to sing about his worst nightmare, he tells about eating cotton candy and it ends with him waking up with the pillow gone.
- Stuart Ashen: "Once, I had a dream I was eating a giant marshmallow. When I woke up, my wife was missing and everything was covered in blood!"