In case of examples, read below:
open/close all folders
- In Sonic The Hedgehog In Castle Robotnik after a power-cut Sonic and Tails are stuck in an Elevator and after ages of trying to prize off the emergency hatch with their hands they notice a box with a spanner in it designed to remove the bolts fixing the hatch closed.
Live Action TV
- In the BBC Edutainment series Jigsaw, the O-Phone, which was used to summon incompetent superheroes The O-Men, was in a glass case labeled "In Emergency Break Glass". There was no hammer. The way to break the glass was to open the case, use the phone to smash the glass, then put the phone back before using it.
- In Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Buffy's high school actually had a fire axe in one of these emergency glass cases by the door of the school. In the episode "School Hard", Spike actually broke the glass with *the face* of one of his own minions in order to get the axe.
- A prison has a fire alarm with the usual Big Red Button behind a glass panel labelled: IN CASE OF FIRE, BREAK. Next to it is a gun cabinet labeled: IN CASE OF JAILBREAK, FIRE.
- In Icarus Needs, a key needed to progress is found in a box with a sign next to it that reads as follows: Break Glass In Need of Key.
- Thief II features an amusing variant: "In time of peril, breaketh glass."
- Zork: Grand Inquisitor has a glass case marked, "In case of adventure, break glass." It contains a sword, map, and hammer. You can't just take the sword and map; you have to open the case, take the hammer, close the case, break the glass, then take the items.
- At the very beginning of Unreal there's a glass box with two medpacks inside of it below the end of the Vortex Rikers level, with the "Break Glass" text above it.
- In the Doodle Toons episode "Fast Food Follies", Pip and Goldie feed a customer a burger that causes him to breathe flamesnote . To extinguish the flames, Goldie grabs an axe from in a nearby box labeled "In case of fire, break glass."
- Spinnerette once showed such a box in the background of Dr. Lambha's lab, labeled "In case of Heather, break glass".
- According to xkcd What If? Sunset On The British Empire, the interior walls of Buckingham Palace have numerous 'In Case Of Emergency, Break Glass' boxes. Each one has a cup of tea in it.
- In Ed, Edd n Eddy's Big Picture Show, the Eds are trying to find a way out of Eddy's Brother's room when this happens:
Ed: Look! (showing Edd and Eddy a red box)Edd: "In Case of Movie, break glass"?Eddy: Bingo! (breaks the glass with the tiny hammer) My bro's always prepared! (proceeds to reach for...a peanut; Eddy starts looking confused) A peanut?Ed: Cheap movie.
- Fortunately, the peanut contained the key to Eddy's Brother's car. The key did open the doors, but it failed to start up the car indicating there was no gas in it, or the battery died, etc.
- Looney Tunes
- Double Subverted in The Hardship of Miles Standish, John Aldin (played by Elmer Fudd) finds a glass case reading "In Case of Indians, Break Glass". He simply lifts the glass up and takes out the gun behind it...then he breaks the glass.
- In Kitty Kornered, Porky takes out a gun from behind glass when he thinks he's being attacked by men from Mars.
- And again in Bewitched Bunny, when Bugs Bunny finds himself cornered by Witch Hazel in her house, he finds a conveniently-placed wall-mounted box labeled "MAGIC POWDER" with the glass front reading "IN CASE OF EMERGENCY BREAK GLASS" complete with a little hammer on a chain attached to it. Bugs uses it, revealing a sort of small bomb or grenade which he hurls at Hazel, turning her into a female rabbit!
- And finally, "To Hare Is Human." Bugs has another mounted box around his bed marked In case of coyote, break glass. Inside the box is a Banana Peel, which he throws in front of the ladder that serves as the stairway to his hole. Once the coyote steps on the peel, his next stop is the Coyote Disposal and a date with gravity.
- Brickleberry: In Case of Connie, Break Glass.
- In the Family Guy episode "When You Wish Upon a Weinstein", when a group of nuns get word of Peter entering a synagogue, they rush toward a case reading "In Case Of Heresy, Break Glass" and smash it to reveal rulers behind it.
- In The Simpsons Treehouse of Horror V, Homer goes insane after being forced to go a long time without TV or beer. Marge runs across a glass case that says, "In Case of Spousal Insanity, Break Glass", where she finds a baseball bat.
- An episode of CatDog has the titular character travel into an exotic land to suddenly steal the throne from Rancid Rabbit. Rancid goes back to a case that says, "In Case of Emergency, Break Grass".
- In the ReBoot episode "Nullzilla", Phong has an extended Crazy-Prepared-plan for a godzilla-sized null monster ramapging through the city. This includes a large weapon in a case that reads "IN CASE OF GIANT NULL MONSTER THREATENING CITY — BREAK GLASS".
- In the Casper the Friendly Ghost short "Ghost Writers", there is a glass case at the Paramount cartoon studio reading "In Case If You're Fired—" and containing a gun.
- In Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2, Chester V has a box next to the FLDSMDFR that reads IN CASE PLAN FAILS BREAK GLASS. That box contains a large hammer used to.... break the glass containing the FLDSMDFR so he can grab it and escape.