Max Landis is a screenwriter, director and son of director John Landis. His best known works are the films Chronicle, Victor Frankenstein and American Ultra.He has also made a bunch of short films and videos including the well known "educational parody film" The Death and Return of Superman in which he recounts Superman's infamous death and return with the help of Elijah Wood, Mandy Moore, Simon Pegg, Jennette McCurdy, Ron Howard, Liz Gillies and several others.He is currently working on a TV adaptation of the Douglas Adams Dirk Gently series.Landis has attracted controversy for his constant social media presence, incredibly high opinion of his own work, a seeming sense of entitlement, Hipster lifestyle and It's Popular, Now It Sucks mentality. He possesses a frequently bizarre fashion sense, ability to spontaneously generate film pitches, and often near-encyclopedic knowledge of comics and film. These combined have made him one of the most notable mid-tier writers in Hollywood, as well as one of the most divisive.
Tropes applying to Landis' works:
- Affectionate Parody: His The Death and Return of Superman and Wrestling Isn't Wrestling somewhat-mostly-accurate educational parody films.
- Attention Deficit Creator Disorder: Had half a dozen different projects in production in the years after Chronicle.
- Big Name Fan:
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: Definitely on the odd side, but still managed to sell two specs at million dollar prices in the same month he was showrunning a new series.
- Cross-Cast Role:
- The Death and Return of Superman features Whitney Moore, Jennifer Newman, and Jezlan Moyet as Batman, Robin, and Nightwing, respectively.
- Wrestling Isn't Wrestling retells the first 20 years of Triple H's WWE career with a predominantly-female cast, headed by Chloe Dykstra as Triple H. Male wrestlers like Triple H, Shawn Michaels and the Undertaker are played by women, and the only featured female wrestler, Chyna, is played by a man (Sam Witwer). All other parts are played by their sex.
- Executive Meddling: Fox told him to rewrite his script for Chronicle 2 as it wasn't enough of a retread of the first movie.
- InternetBackdraft: He caught a LOT of flack for claiming that Rey from The Force Awakens is a MarySue, though he himself has since expressed annoyance and disgust with people who take it too far, such as MRA members who praised him for it, and people who began claiming that the Rogue One protagonist is a Sue just based off of both the trailer and him sarcastically claiming she is as a Call Back to the Rey controversy.
- Motor Mouth: Specially when pitching movies.
- No Social Skills: His twitter use shows Mr. Darcy-levels of bad first impressions.
- One of Us:
- Has been a reader of comics for years, and produced the The Death and Return of Superman somewhat-mostly-accurate educational parody film. He is also at the very least aware of TV Tropes, as can be seen by his comment here. He's also written the Spider-Man fanfic The Shocker Legit.
- He also knows this page exists.
- His love of wrestling really shows in some podcasts and videos he made about the subject, such as Wrestling Isn't Wrestling.
- He's also a fan of SCP Foundation, and actually wrote an SCP.
- Promoted Fanboy: He's writing the critically-acclaimed DC Comics miniseries Superman: American Alien.