Max Landis is a screenwriter, director and son of director John Landis. His best known works are the films Chronicle, Victor Frankenstein and American Ultra.He has also made a bunch of short films and videos including the well known "educational parody film" The Death and Return of Superman in which he recounts Superman's infamous death and return with the help of Elijah Wood, Mandy Moore, Simon Pegg, Jennette McCurdy, Ron Howard, Liz Gillies and several others.He is currently working on a TV adaptation of the Douglas Adams Dirk Gently series.Landis has attracted controversy for his constant social media presence and strong, often contrarian opinions. He possesses a frequently bizarre fashion sense, ability to spontaneously generate film pitches, and often near-encyclopedic knowledge of comics and film. These combined have made him one of the most notable mid-tier writers in Hollywood, as well as one of the most divisive.
Tropes applying to Landis' works:
- Affectionate Parody: His The Death and Return of Superman and Wrestling Isn't Wrestling somewhat-mostly-accurate educational parody films.
- Attention Deficit Creator Disorder: Had half a dozen different projects in production in the years after Chronicle.
- Big Name Fan:
- Cross-Cast Role:
- The Death and Return of Superman features Whitney Moore, Jennifer Newman, and Jezlan Moyet as Batman, Robin, and Nightwing, respectively.
- Wrestling Isn't Wrestling retells the first 20 years of Triple H's WWE career with a predominantly-female cast, headed by Chloe Dykstra as Triple H. Male wrestlers like Triple H, Shawn Michaels and the Undertaker are played by women, and the only featured female wrestler, Chyna, is played by a man (Sam Witwer). All other parts are played by their sex.
- Executive Meddling: Fox told him to rewrite his script for Chronicle 2 as it wasn't enough of a retread of the first movie.
- One of Us:
- Has been a reader of comics for years, and produced the The Death and Return of Superman somewhat-mostly-accurate educational parody film. He is also at the very least aware of TV Tropes, as can be seen by his comment here. He's also written the Spider-Man fanfic The Shocker Legit.
- He also knows this page exists.
- His love of wrestling really shows in some podcasts and videos he made about the subject, such as Wrestling Isn't Wrestling.
- He's also a fan of SCP Foundation, and actually wrote an SCP.
- Promoted Fanboy: He's writing the critically-acclaimed DC Comics miniseries Superman: American Alien.