Jewel Kingdom The Jewel Kingdom
You will find it if you try,
High above the mountains in the sky.
— Theme song from the movie
series by Jahnna N. Malcolm is about a group of four princess sisters
who are each given a quarter of the Utopia
Jewel Kingdom to rule. Armed with Checkhov's Guns
, every known variety of mentor in animal form, and glittery gemstones
, the girls, ranging from age 10 to 8, become the Jewel Princesses.
Like all fairy tales
, there is a dark side
, Lord Bleak
, Has a daughter
, who seems to be Roxxane's Evil Counterpart
and is usually the main villain.
Has a film.
Books in the series
- The Ruby Princess Runs Away
- The Sapphire Princess Meets a Monster
- The Emerald Princess Play a Trick
- The Diamond Princess Saves the Day
- The Ruby Princess Sees a Ghost
- The Sapphire Princess Hunts for Treasure
- The Emerald Princess Finds a Fairy
- The Diamond Princess and the Magic Ball
- The Ruby Princess and the Baby Dragon
- The Sapphire Princess Helps a Mermaid
- The Emerald Princess Follows a Unicorn
- The Diamond Princess Steps Through Her Mirror
- The Jewel Princesses and the Missing Crown
This series contains examples of the following tropes:
- Action Girl: All the princesses, but Roxanne takes the cake.
- Authority Equals Asskicking: The girls. Their parents...less so.
- Color-Coded for Your Convenience: Surprisingly enough, not inverted, though it seems that way at first glance. The colors refer to the personality types of each girl, using the Four Element Ensemble in reference to the Four Seasons: Demetra, Winter/Air; Roxanne, Fire/Autumn; Sabrina, Water/Spring; Emily, Earth/Summer. This also appears in their kingdoms, which are eternally in their 'season'.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: The books, mostly. They look pretty dumb and glittery, but they've got a few levels that you have to think to catch, such as the Four Element Ensemble of the girls.
- Dark Magical Girl: Lord Bleak's daughter. Demetra and Roxanne run the risk of this when they're older, depending on whether or not they have natural, latent magic.
- The Ditz: Emily comes off as this.
- Improbable Age: These girls are 10 years old. They're not old enough to clean their rooms. Why are they running the kingdom? (And from the looks of the maps, it really is the whole kingdom.)
- Like Father Like Daughter: Lord Bleak's daughter.
- Meaningful Name: Roxanne rules the Ruby Mountains. King Regal and Queen Jemma are obvious. Lord Bleak rules a barren, dying country.
- Parental Abandonment: Where the hell are those guys? We see them in the first book, and that's it.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: Supposedly everyone, and the girls are mature for their ages, but the question of who in their right minds lets kids become heroes is a big one.
- Shrinking Violet: Played straight with Sabrina, averted in Roxanne.
- Winter Royal Lady: Demetra.