Planet of Fate
is a work-in-progress sci-fi-fantasy short novel being authored by SWJS
. The author, after retconning
some of the material and restarting, is on chapter one at the moment, and all chapters, once finished, will be viewable on the author's deviantart account: http://swjs.deviantart.com/gallery/#Planet-of-Fate
The project started c. 2009 and is still ongoing.Planet of Fate
, often shortened to POF, is about a race of aliens called Anubians, and their struggles throughout a period of time. The novel starts off with the main characters parents, out and about in the city, enjoying their anniversary. They are, however, soon killed by an explosion while at dinner. Once he receives the news, their son and daughter, Sarko and Sally respectively, go through emotional unstability, and both go down different paths. Sarko's path will end up leading him to discover that his parents' deaths weren't accidents, and that there is much more going on around him than he is able to see. The novel follows not only Sarko, but his sister, his peers, and his people throughout the many events of significance and hardships they all encounter, with the story being told from other points of view, as well as some minor characters.
Many other works inspired several details for things in the novel, including Star Wars
, Avatar: The Last Airbender
, Masters of the Universe
, and even some Disney films, including The Hunchback of Notre Dame
. TV Tropes
itself has also been very inspirational and helpful while writing Planet of Fate. However, the most influencial work for POF was Destroy All Humans!!
, as the characters were originally Fan Characters, before SWJS and Nukawin decided to get their ideas protected.
Originally, the characters of POF were part of a comic called Alienz, authored by SWJS and illustrated by Nukawin
. After economic problems arised, SWJS and Nukawin went their seperate ways, and SWJS began writing Planet of Fate, while Nukawin continued with Alienz. Nukawin has since cancelled Alienz, to pursue a career in taxidermy.
POF once rarely used descriptive imagery, one reason being most of the characters were drawn when they were part of Alienz, and another reason was because SWJS wanted the readers to invision his creations for themselves, instead of just going with what he wanted them to be. However, due to the many retcons and changes to the novel, it will now feature descriptive imagery.
Planet of Fate contains examples of:
- Ascend to a Higher Plane of Existence
- Action Girl: Many. Celia, and the Anubian Ruler Lady Antebellum are the most notable examples.
- Alien Blood: Anubians have black blood. Serpentine have red blood. Krystillites have green blood.
- Alien Among Us: Happens when Sarko and Celia travel to Earth.
- A.I. Is a Crapshoot: D.A.N., the navigational AI for Sarko's flagship.
- Alien Animals: Played straight with the Schritt, a fur-covered snake. Most creatures in POF have some similarities to Earth life though.
- Alien Invasion: Infiltration type.
- Alien Sky: Played straight on Anubia. The sky is a lavender color.
- Aliens Speaking English: Justified. If the entire book was written in the Anubian language, no one would be able to read it.
- All Planets Are Earth-Like: Averted with most planets, including Anubia. Played straight with Ayelanwee.
- Ancient Astronauts: How the Anubians colonized Anubia.
- Artificial Gravity
- Artificial Intelligence
- Artificial Limbs
- Author Appeal: SWJS has a large fascination with quicksand, and also happens to be a big fan of bondage. He's also a massive Star Wars fan, and just an overall big nerd. You can expect to see references to all these things and more.
- Beethoven Was an Alien Spy
- Bizarre Alien Biology: In the many descriptions and biographies that are strewn about his deviantART page, SWJS explains that the Anubian Birth Canal resembles a third intestine. It stretches for several feet, coating the baby in secretions as it passes through. These secretions are an essential final-step to Anubian physiology, as they are full of nutrients that can only be produced in the mother's body. The nutrients themselves strengthen the child's body, to help support it in Anubia's high gravity, and also allow the Anubian to survive the vaccuum of space for an amount of time.
- Black Magic
- Character Development: A lot of the characters have changed from what their biographies make them out to be.
- Cool Ship: Sarko's Flagship, The Hornet Sting.
- Creepy Monotone: Salazar, when he doesn't have to be charasmatic.
- Crystal Ball: Chlora Nova uses one.
- Cyborg: Sarko's sister, Sally.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Most of the characters.
- Eldritch Abomination: The Rouges
- Elemental Powers
- The Empire: A good version with the Anubians.
- Enemy Mine
- Energy Weapon
- Escape Pod
- E.T. Gave Us Wi-Fi: The A.P.I.'s weapons are reverse-engineered Anubian Tech, but more-so, it turns out all the modern-day music stars got their songs from transmissions picked up from Anubia. Elvis was an actual Anubian though.
- Evil All Along
- Evil Chancellor
- Evil Minions
- Evil Sorcerer
- Faster-Than-Light Travel: Warpspace.
- Frickin' Laser Beams
- Functional Magic: In the Inherent Gift flavor.
- Glowing Eyes of Doom
- The Greys: The Anubians.
- Half-Human Hybrid: Dr. Cobbletree's wife, created accidentally, is an Anthropomorphic Mountain Lion. Her name is Puma.
- Handicapped Badass: Sarko. Has an arm and a leg blown of in the middle of a battle, crawls back to to his ship and rips pieces off, fashioning himself prosthetic limbs, and then jumps back into the battle as if nothing happened. The Anubians won the battle.
- Healing Hands: Anubians with telekinesis.
- How Do I Shot Web?: Like many young, naive characters, Sarko doesn't know his full potential.
- Humans Are Flawed
- Humans Are Ugly
- Humanoid Aliens
- I Come in Peace: Subverted. Sarko and Celia didn't want any trouble from the humans. It's just that the humans aren't willing to part with mineral resources, especially their diamonds. Oh, and the API are corrupt. That too.
- Insufficiently Advanced Alien: The Anubians.
- Kid-Appeal Character: Celia.
- Laser Blade
- MacGuffin: The Amulets of Drumau. The Book of the Prophets.
- Mad Scientist: Sally is definately one. For the humans, they have Dr. Cobbletree.
- Made of Evil
- Mafia: The Anubian Mafia, lead by Merick Nightshade.
- Meaningful Name: The Antebellum Family. Literally meaning "before the war". The Antebellum family ruled Anubian for generations before the Venom War. Just before the war, Lord and Lady Antebellum are killed, and their daughter, Sutra, takes the throne.
- The Men in Black: The Agency of Paranormal Investigation on Earth, The Imperial Organization of Anubian Protection for the Anubians.
- Named After Their Planet: The Anubians.
- No OSHA Compliance: Averted
- Our Ghosts Are Different
- Our Gods Are Greater
- Overly Long Name: Doctor Rudolph Kaiser Cobbletreevonberryschnitzelhausen.
- Proud Warrior Race Guy: Many Anubians are this, but more-so are Anubians who still follow the ways they had before becoming technologically advanced.
- Psychic Powers
- Puberty Superpower: One reason why Sarko can use Telekinesis.
- Pure Energy
- Quicksand Sucks: Guarenteed to happen on Sinestra.
- Quirky Miniboss Squad: Merick and/or his goons could count at some points.
- Red Alert
- Religion is Magic
- Retcon: Since the author got his work protected, he's had to change many things about the novel. And now he's retconned even more stuff, starting over again.
- Shrouded in Myth: The prophets, the Rouges.
- Space Pirates
- Superpower Meltdown
- Swamps Are Evil: Sinestra, a Swamp World where the ultimate evil once conveniently called home.
- Tome of Eldritch Lore: The Book of the Prophets, and the Book of Vagoda.
- Tragic Villain: Merick
- Tuckerization: SWJS, the Novel's writer, has a moderate role in the book as the curator of a homely little confectionary. SWJS is actually pursuing a career as a confectionist, to open a shop named after his late mother, Dorothy, to honor her.
- Villain Song: Xaphir gets one called Villains' Night, based off the song Ladies' Night by Kool and the Gang, making this the first Disco Villain Song. There is no actual sheet music though, only lyrics.
- Villain Team-Up
- Villain with Good Publicity