Literature: Project New Eden
"This is the story of finding where you belong, and the long way for getting there"'The people of Earth had always had a fascination with space. Always reaching for the stars and gazing at the planets far, far away. The earthlings were searching for another planet like earth. Then they found one. They send out groups of people who are organized by what they value the most; Nature, Technology or Themselves. These groups each get a continent each, and so begin to cultivate their land with their values. They named the planet Project New Eden, as they thought that this planet would be something close to the biblical place, Eden, but just more modern and less odd, as someone put it.Written by Amanda Ringqvist for NaNoWriMo, the story entails the travels of the young Araldurian girl Pixel Beta. She has just found out that she's in fact adopted and originally from the village Septem in Northalm. Tired of all the cold technology in Araldur, she leaves her adoptive parents without hesitation to go and look for her real family.She soon meets Dexter Elwood who just so happens to be heading the same way as her. Together they set off to look for a boat to take them to Northalm, and the ensuing story is a very sweet and heartwarming tale.
This novel provides examples of:
- Arcadia: Northalm.
- Bittersweet Ending: Pixel and Dexter are together, and they have finally reached her hometown, but Pixel's parents have passed on. She still has her grandmother and a sister, though.
- Buffy Speak
- Cute Kitten: Aine Dara.
- Left Hanging: Apparently, there ARE people living in The Wasteland, but this only ever gets mentioned in an off-hand comment and is never touched upon again.
- The Lost Woods: Forest of Sorrows is said to be this.
- Love Epiphany: Pixel has one.
- Planet of Hats: The separate continents. To summarize: Northalm = Followers of the Good Old Ways and generally Nice people Araladur = City Mice and Neuraem = Selfish and Shallow people.
- Real Life Writes the Plot: Dara is actually a cameo of a friend of the writer's kitten. Her cuteness demanded a place in the story.
- Riddle for the Ages: The door in the Forest of Sorrows. Probably for the better.
- Scenery Porn: The descriptions of Northalm make it this. Pixel agrees.
- Unresolved Sexual Tension: Averted.
- Will They or Won't They?: Pixel and Dexter. They Do.