Breadcrumbs is a book written by Anne Ursu and is an American adaptation/retelling of The Snow Queen, with themes of loss, growing up, and friendship.Hazel and Jack have always been best friends, bonding over their shared love of science fiction and fantasy, wishing they could go to places like Oz and Narnia.But now that they're eleven, Hazel's mom is pushing her to make some female friends, and Jack is more interested in hanging out with his male friends than with Hazel.Then Jack is taken away by a woman in white. Hazel assumes she must be the Snow Queen from the fairy tales, and she alone must set off to rescue him. So she does. But what Hazel's looking for and what she finds may not be the same thing...
This book contains examples of:
- Coming-of-Age Story
- Massively Multiplayer Crossover: References and adaptations of other Andersen stories appear throughout.
- Mundane Made Awesome: The "magic" object that rescues Jack is his autographed baseball.
- One of Us: In-Universe; Hazel and Jack are likely meant to share interests with the readers.
- Plucky Girl: Hazel.
- The Power of Friendship
- Shout-Out: The Snow Queen is described as a white witch and offers Jack Turkish Delight.
- Winter Royal Lady: The Snow Queen.