Compare examples of Ho Yay
in other media.
open/close all folders
- One ad for HD TV has two guys, one of them serious, the other a Large Ham who comes off as a William Shatner impersonation. Their sell goes like this.
Ham: I'll be so real, it's like you could reach out and touch me! *makes reaching gesture, turns to Other Guy* Go on, try to touch me!
Other Guy: No...
Ham: How 'bout a hug? *as Other Guy steps back, Ham looks sad* This is awkward.
- That was a Shatner impersonation. and the other guy was the same guy in not-impersonating-anybody mode.
- This website collects any and all LGBT advertisements.
- This Quizno's ad features the distinctly male voice of an oven saying "Put it in me, Scott."
- Kevin Butler in the PS3 commercials seems to have a bit of a thing for Jack Tretton, President of the SCEA. If you look carefully, almost every single commercial has a picture of Jack somewhere in it, he plays Modnation Racers with him and after losing, comments 'Let's not make it weird Jack.' And then there's the latest commercial, where his return to Sony is opened with him looking longingly at a picture of Jack and saying 'You are the boss of me.'
- Orangina recently released a set of ads parodying different products. One of them was an aftershave, with a puma applying Orangina as an aftershave... which was then closed with an actual human rubbing the cougar's face in a rather affectionate fashion.
- Popeye and Bluto. Because of orange juice. No, seriously.
- Another HD ad, this time for Verizon FiOS: FiOS guy says he's installed FiOS in the entire apartment, and this ensues:
Cable Guy: Thanks, but I'll be sticking with cable. And so is Ted.
Ted (off-screen): No, I'm not.
Cable Guy: Ted's just kidding.
Ted (annoyed): No, I'm not.
Cable Guy: *sigh* Ted has betrayed me.
- Trope-tan and Wikipe-tan. Also counts as Foe Yay.
- Apple's infamous Get A Mac commercials actually have their fair share of fan-interpretation.
- This ad got banned from the Super Bowl rotation.
- This Czech ice-cream commercial.
- There's a Czech car ad with a salesman asking why the customer wants this car while they're in each other's personal space, and are in stances that look like they're about to make out. Featuring these lines:
Salesman: Do you... have a family?
Customer: [sensuously] No...
- M&M's commercials are rather thick with this, from disturbing strip-teases to reenacting the famous scene from Titanic.
"I've never ha pretzel inside of me before."
- This Mercedes-Benz advert with Schumacher, Rosberg and Hakkinen is filled to the brim.
- Confused.com has paired Cara and Bertha together more and more with each advert, finally culminating in this one where they have a duet and Bertha pulls Cara's face into her chest.
- A famous modeling image from the late 1980s shows Stephanie Seymour, Cindy Crawford, Christy Turlington, Tatjana Patitz, and Naomi Campbell. Naked. Hugging each other. Yeah, no homoerotic subtext there.
- This Planet Fitness commercial.
- Abercrombie and Fitch are well known for its homoerotic imagery in their marketing. However, in some of the images, a lucky young lady joins the the naked hunks who are engaging in homosexual activities for threesomes, foursomes and moresomes◊.(mildly NSFW)
- Entirely unintentional example in Luminosity between an old vampire named Addy and five-year-old Elspeth. The author delayed the next update slightly to edit that particular ending away, but the original ending line of Radiance, chapter 14, was
- Sokka and Zuko in Embers,on the beach, they have very similar reactions; they really seem to understand each other, much better than most people; they trust each other, and neither Sokka nor Zuko is naturally trusting; they know that they both have good intentions and respect that, even when they're in conflict; unlike with Toph, Zuko and Sokka are of similar ages.
- In The Official Fanfiction University of Middle-earth, this is deconstructed in the subjects "Platonic Love 101" by Frodo and Samwise, and "Male Bonding 202", by Legolas and Gloin. Shows what's really behind it. When a hug is just a hug and such.
- The Harry Potter Fan Fic The Girl Who Lived. Rose swears up and down that she's not a lesbian or bisexual, but spends much of her time describing girl's bodies primarily in the order of breasts, nipples, pubic hair, rest of their body.
- In the Backyard Sports fanfiction ''The Secret Life of the Backyard Kids", Jorge and Tony are "as close as male friends can be in a children's story."
- Les Yay by the bucketload in Stars Above, as it's an Intercontinuity Cross Over between two of the most yuri-prone anime of the last ten years.
- Brewdening Love. Brian and Hugo (Mr. Smith) was the best thing to come out of that fanfic. And has been expanded upon.
- In the Alexandra Quick series, there is so much Les Yay between Alex and Anna. One: They're dorm-mates. Two: They cannot stand when one of them is harmed by an evil entity. Three: At the end of book four, Anna declares platonic love for Alex. Except it might could possibly not be platonic....
- Pokémon's Send Your O Cs fanfic Pokémon: Take Two gives us a fair share of Ho Yay. And considering what the authoress is...
- Special mention goes to Ry. The boy considers all males his friends just because they're the same gender, for Christ's sake!
- A lampshaded version occurs in Clothes, please?, when Ren mocks Pyrrha's inability to confess her love to Jaune.
Still, just saying, if I were Pyrrha, I would have taken Jaune by his scraggly blond head, dragged him back to the room and made damn sure he had no one else on his mind...No homo.
- Id with any guy that thinks he's an attractive female. And then there's his relationship with Grey, who constantly tries to spend the night together, alone with him, and "teach him things."
- Ciel The Last Autumn Story: Right from the start, Daughter and January have a lot of it, and it only gets more and more blatant as the story progresses. It finally goes from subtext to outright text in volume 14.
- January also has some with Tenial, who frequently comes across as a little too interested in working with him.
- There's also a lot of Les Yay in the form of pretty much every pair of witches. The most obvious examples are Yvienne and Lariatte, Ecliche and Judith, and Augustine and Saskia.
- Dear My Girls: A one-sided one with Ravin to Adrian, who is not amused. Granted, Ravin did think that Adrian was a girl when the latter was younger - boys wore dresses when they were that age.
- There's a lot of strong subtext in Demon Diary though it's all entirely innocent.
- Running On Empty is a shonen-ai manhwa about a suicidal teen who gets abducted by a falsely accused gang member. Naturally it's full of Ho Yay.
- I'm at End of Your Sight is Boys Love Genre manhwa, so is full of this.
- Plenty In Kill Me Kiss Me: Kai sure does want Ghoon-Hahm to kiss his boots... And his obsession with hurting Jung-Woo, whom he constantly refers to as "pretty" and "the Prince". It also sounds almost as if he has this impression of Ghoon-Hahm and Jung-Woo.
- Yeong Joon and Jin Lee are canonically gay and in a relationship.
- In-universe example: The Pretty Boy Fanclub get Ghoon-Hahm and Jung-Woo to act like this in order to take photographs.
- Several people mistake Ghoon-Hahm and Jung-Woo for a couple, although admittedly a few of them were likely joking.
- Jung-Woo and Ghoon-Hahm have a lot of close moments for rivals in love. Jung-Woo even starts sleeping over at Ghoon-Hahm's house from the fourth book onwards, a fact which makes Que-Min think interesting things about the two of them.
- Half of the male named population of the game think Jung-Woo pretty enough to be flirt with.
- Toyed with in regards to Kun and Ga-Woon - while Ga-Woon thinks that Tae is a boy, Kun proceeds to tease and kiss "him" knowing that he's a girl. Ga-Woon views it as this.
- Let Dai is another shonen-ai manhwa.
- Frank and Rai in Noblesse.
- Lots in the The Tarot Cafe due to Everyone Is Bi.
- In the official French translation of Witch Hunter the attachment from Xing to Tasha is admitted to be romantic.
- Tower of God: Ja Wangnan and Nya Nia. Nia quickly became Ja's friend after he ran into him being beaten up by loan sharks. He gives him a free food coupon and wishes him best luck. They later meet on the testing grounds of the 20th Floor and quickly form a team and share a room, around the time Ja notices that Nia is a boy. The final clue: Ja has Nia's number under "My Beloved Nia ♥".
- In Orange Marmalade Si-Hoo, a vampire, is instantly attracted to Jae-min and, while he says he's only interested in Jae-min's blood, he does start stalking him and to swing that way for him.
- Peppermint Patty and Marcie from Peanuts. This was pointed out and played with on two Saturday Night Live sketches (one with Rachel Dratch as Marcie telling Ted Koppel about how Peppermint Patty wasn't going to marry her, and again in a sketch about newspaper comic characters having a meeting on what to do to make print media more relevant in a world where people are relying more and more on TV and the Internet to get their news where Peppermint Patty and Marcie [played by Kristen Wiig and short-lived feature player Michaela Watkins] making out for no reason other than the fact that [back then] it's 2009 and they should be free and open with their sexual orientation), a Robot Chicken sketch, was referenced in a throwaway reference gag in an episode of Family Guy, and it's implied that they're married in the webcomic And Shine Heaven Now.
- In Beetle Bailey, Beetle and Sarge have their moments, though this may or may not be intentional.
- Even animals aren't immune. Lots of Garfield merchandise featuring him and Odie seems to be trying to cater to this. (Why? Either Rule of Funny or a very squicky scenario.)
- The December 14, 2008 strip◊. Oh my god...
- There is a strip where Jon has hung up a mistletoe over his door in order to kiss the first person to ring the bell. Said person is the mailman. Garfield's responsenote "You two look really cute together!"
- There's also the strip from the early '90s in which Garfield sneaks up behind Odie and scratches his butt. To say that this gets Odie really excited would be an understatement. (Just look at him drool!)
- The relationship between the butch girl-hater Dennis Mitchell and the... quite delicate Joey McDonald in Dennis the Menace has raised some eyebrows.
- Rex Morgan, M.D. Just Rex Morgan MD.
- The Finnish newspaper comic Nanna takes this trope far enough to be somewhere between Hide Your Lesbians and Transparent Closet. The main characters, Hanna and Ritu are "roommates" who happen to share a bed (Nanna sleeps in the nude), and share random shows of affection, up and including Ritu sneaking behind Nanna to kiss her ears.
- Considering the fact that Krazy Kat never establishes the titular character's gender, it's a distinct possibility that the story's pivotal love triangle is entirely male. Which would make this another trope entirely. This strip started in 1917.
Yes, yes; especially with all the modern productions running around, some weird lines have been played up to scandalous levels:
- In Rossini's "La Cenerentola" (Opera version of Cinderella), the incessant boot-licking on part of the evil stepfather don Magnifico to Dandini (the valet passing from the Prince, all too often camped up as is to be expected from his name), crowning just before Dandini reveals his true identity, when Magnifico, exasperated that the "Prince" won't tell him which of his two daughters he's going to marry, but rambles on about what a bizarre case he is exclaims "Well then, do you want to marry me?"
- Unulfo -who isn't at all helped by the fact he's a lyric counter-tenor- in Rodelinda has in various productions to have an unhealthy attraction to his master king Bertarido -the lines "If I save my lord, my heart wants nothing more" sung in a mezzo-soprano voice leave very little to imagination-; some directors have even paired him up with the bad baritone Garibaldo.
- Captain Corcoran and Sir Joseph Porter KCB from HMS Pinafore have actually been slashed.
- Sgt.Belcore and Nemorino from l'Elisir d'Amore; it seems some directors find Belcore WAY too manly for his own good...
- One Polish adaptation of "Lucrezia Borgia" made Gennaro and Orsini canon lovers, complete with making out on stage.
- The Warwick University Rowing Club's Men's Rowing Team calendar.NSFW
Textbooks and accompanying material
- A Chinese textbook used in some Australian universities features a scene of example dialogue, the accompanying video of which is glorious in its Ho Yay overtones. An effeminate man walks into his roommate's room completely uninvited or unprovoked, hangs a pot plant on the ceiling, strides over to his sleeping roomate, bends over to get in close, and starts stroking his roommate's face. The roommate then wakes up and the not even vaguely related conversation in Chinese ensues, and they're still fairly close together throughout the entire thing. Somehow, the textbook itself only improves on this: it depicts the sleeping man with no shirt. Truly, this is an achievement in the realm of Textbook Humor.