Funny: Starship Troopers
Works in this franchise with their own Funny Moments pages: The Book
- The Thirty Second Bomb. In a fighting force that routinely uses Flame Throwers and atomic weapons in combat, this is the weapon that Rico feels bad about using. It is designed to loudly announce in the target's native language that it is a bomb, and then issue a loud verbal countdown to induce an appropriate response. Rico causes a stampede by tossing it into a Skinny command center.
- Rico's Un Paused moment late in the book. He is protesting his commander's decision to use a post-hypnotic suggestion to make Rico take a nap. His commander doesn't seem to know what Rico's going on about, and Rico soon realizes that he was put to sleep halfway through a sentence, waking up hours later and continuing without missing a beat. Nevermind the humorous situation of a Space Marine refusing (futilely) to take a nap.
- This line would be even more funny if it didn't lead to tragic consequences for Zander later on.
Carmen:(after giving her location to Rico) The situation is... (takes a look around to see that they're surrounded by bugs) Situation is extremely hostile!
- Carl and his pet ferret Cyrano, "Go bug Mom!".
Carl: I gave him the impression that there's a grub crawling up my mothers leg, he's on a mission to go eat it.Carl's Mom: (banging noises can be heard upstairs) What are you doing?! GET OFF MY LEG!! AWWWW! ...Carl!
- Ace, the living Butt Monkey!
- But he plays the violin beautifully... Go figure.
- "Have fun! That's an order!"
- Ace and Dizzy showing the still-alive Johnny his death certificate.
- "The enemy cannot push a button... if you disable his hand. Medic!"
- Breckinridge's self-diagnosis after his sparring match with Sergeant Zim: "My arm... I reckon it's broke, Sir." While holding onto his arm at the new joint that he now has.
- Zim agrees with his assessment. "Medic!"
- When General Owen gets crushed by one of the flying bugs, Ace turns to Rico and grins stupidly, clearly trying not to laugh.
- Rico trying to record a video-mail to send to Carmen, while the other troopers do everything they can to be a distraction behind him.
Rico: (as the lights go out and sappy music starts to play) Uh oh.
- The Tanker Bug's Aside Glance to the camera before getting blown up by the grenade it swallowed.
- After Carl's reading of the Brain Bug's mind, Rico and Carmen catch up to him.
Rico: It was you wasn't it. You told me how to find Carmen?Carl: (gives a smirk) Well, that's classified.
- The last we see of the Brain Bug is getting probed by human scientists, and evidently inflated.
- In Compound there's that one guy who talks to the player when the bugs counterattack:
Grunt: Marauder, you're needed up top, now! I'll stay here and hide— uh I mean, secure the bunker. Yeah, that's it!
- Hauser demanding the player to rescue him in Plasma Mountain.
Hauser: Good of you to turn up, Marauder, now, if you wouldn't mind dealing with those bugs. Watch out for that Plasma Bug... I don't think she likes me.after saving an injured HauserHauser: I'm still alive - but no thanks to you, Marauder.
- This exchange after the player kills the X-Bug.
Hauser: I see you've killed my little friend. And won this for the species. Looks like I underestimated you, Marauder. That is not a mistake I make twice.Harris: Did I hear that correctly? Was that General Hauser giving you a compliment?
- The Mech-Trooper's constant stuttering.
Mech-Trooper: Just a li-li-li-little lo-lo-lo-longer.Mech-Trooper: This one's fine. On to the ne-ne-ne-ne the next one.
- In Bug Hives, when an MI squad meets the player:
Sergeant: A Marauder!?! You must be crazier than us coming down here alone!Grunt: We're staying here, right Sarge? I'm not going back in there. No way! Let the Marauder go!