open/close all folders
Fireplaces in wooden buildings
While rule 1 and 2 in Minecraft are that you shouldn't respectively dig straight down or straight up, rule 3 is about not making fireplaces when there's a lot of wood nearby. Here's why:
- This YouTube Video, where a user tries to explain how to make a fireplace and inadvertently burns down his whole house.
Narrator: Uh oh.
- And yet another victim.
- That's funny too.
- And here. Closed captions add to the hilarity, as does the fact that his friend told him to burn down the house.
- This person thought he was prepared in case of a fire. He wasn't quite enough.
- This person made a tower of cloth catch on fire... while he was inside it.
JohtoKen: "Uhhhh...this tower-burning experiment did not end well. That is all." (respawns) "And everything's back to normal; it never happened. Bye bye."
- Parodied here.
- The Biggest Minecraft Fail Ever, which starts when a user wants to make lava towers near his wooden house. Things escalate quickly.
- An episode of MMAPGaming features the host installing a lava pit in his house for disposing of unwanted items. He tears out his wood walls and replaces them with cobblestone so he won't burn his house down, then adds a low ceiling above the pit so he doesn't accidentally wander into it. The material he uses for the ceiling... is wood, because it looks nice with the rest of the house. The episode ends with him nearly losing his voice when the inevitable happens.
- Guess what happens again here even using cobblestone due to a small miscalculation?
- BdoubleO wonders if his fireplace is safe... but lights it anyways. The inevitable occurs.
- While all of these examples are accidental, there are some people who just... like the risk. Two guys decided to buy a wooden house above a surface lava lake, just to see how long it would last before burning down completely. Cue a lot of putting down fires and repairing holes.
- Much later, while they were building a new house, one of them decided to put a fireplace right on the middle of the wooden house. Using wooden fences to avoid accidentally wandering into it. The house was on fire by the time he finished lighting it.
Pranks and traps
- These videos by Team Avolition have become legendary among griefers and hardcore players. Brief context: Team Avolition attempted to grief a server belonging to a group called Rice-Think. They were unsuccessful, and eventually banned by the admin, Sean Rice. Not too long after, Avo's forums were attacked by members of Rice-Think, who openly taunted Avo afterwards, claiming that they cannot be stopped. What followed was complete and utter devestation of Rice-Think's home server by Team Avolition. Sean's "house" and several storage facilities were throurougly pillaged and destroyed, leaving behind zero trace that they even existed, and leaving admins little in the way of restoring the damage. The final stab was an all-out assault on the admin base, which was leveled and covered by dirt and trees. Upon being caught by another member of Rice-Think in the process(who later turned out to have been one of the people who helped build it), Avo manipulated him into helping them bury the foundation under the guise of building a fort, culminating in one of the most satisfying and brilliant griefs in Minecraft history. Laughs were most definitely had. According to Avo, the damage they did was never undone.
Storm_Surge: "You know, it's funny. They call this "Rice-Think", and thinking is the last thing these guys are doing."
- What makes this grief so hilarious is that Sean Rice was so arrogant that he made no efforts to protect the server from potential acts of revenge by Avo, despite taunting them on their own turf. This fatal flaw ultimately proved to be Rice's undoing, as he chose to hide behind his cronies under a false identity.
- Also adding to the hilarity is the fact that them leveling the structures to the ground was a case of Gone Horribly Wrong on Sean's part; the server had a plugin called "Big Brother" that kept track of who modified what block and when, so simply damaging the structures(like with TNT or lava) would have gotten them caught. A measure intended to deter griefers only prompted them to go the extra mile to ensure they weren't caught and banned.
- This prank. One person complains how mining a gold block disconnects him, tricking a server admin straight into a trap.
- Ban reason: AHHHHHHHHHHHHH
- In this video, a pseudo-Dynamite Candle prank is pulled on a player.
- A little trap was set on these two adventurers.
- One player rigged an entire house with hidden TNT, then invites his friend to join the server and check out the house. One guess as to what happens.
Victim: ...Why are you standing over there?Pranker: I'm... I'm looking for food.
- One guy, in revenge for having his mine flooded, sets up a trap where two people got trapped inside a prison, and the only way out was jumping off. Need we mention that this prison is about 9000 feet in the air?
- The 1.4 update for the official release gives us Invisbility Potions. Let the trolling commence, I say!
- An example. Also MMAP gaming.
- The absolutely epic Troll Mojang pulled off with the April Fools Day prank; Minecraft 2.0, featuring sensitive chickens that don't like being looked at, Redstone Bugs(literal ones, not glitches), and a stab at the people who want realism in the game via torches not lasting forever. A friendly pink Wither was included that invoked Tastes Like Diabetes and farm animals could be fed until they exploded, getting fatter and fatter as you went on. Sadly, the page containing the download was taken down on April 2nd.
- This poor player has a lot of trouble with creepers. It doesn't help that his friends like to disguise themselves as creepers to shock and traumatize him, and just when he thinks he's figured out which is which...
- These SMP players tried to grief a griefer by encasing his house in a glass sphere and filling it with lava. Then it began to leak, and what results could be a scene from a typical disaster movie.
"We've created the Sun.""IT'S LEAKING!"
- An LPer by the name of bananapielord had uploaded his Minecraft world for his fans to edit as they please, and spent the next few videos showcasing the worlds they sent back. The third world in this video, showcased seven minutes in, has some interesting changes made to his house. Hilarity Ensues when he accidentally sets off a block of TNT.
- These two adventurers at the 14:00 point, find out that they don't make it in home in time, so they both build makeshift shelters, leading to a funny Inaction Sequence where they discover that one player lacks cobblestone to smelt glass in a furnace and the other finds out that he lacks sand so he can't make glass either. They find their own solutions to see outside. After a daybreak, they visit each other's "houses".
- The Hatventurers give us many moments of funny Minecraft antics.
- A modded Minecraft stream by Robbie Nexus quickly turned into The Great Silverfish Massacre of 2016.
Glitches and Bugs
- Wolves attack Skeletons. Dogs like to eat bones.
- The Beta 1.2 update allows players to dye wool blocks different colors. The funny thing is that you can also do this to living sheep, resulting in a swarm of sheep in outlandish colorations.
- Even better, when you shear the sheep, and the wool grows back, it's still the same color as the dye.
- Get into water while a dog follows you. When you get out, you can see the dog shaking off the water as soon as he stops!
- 1.9 introduces Elytra Wings, which allows Minecraft players to glide. Equip them on a ground-based mob and knock them off the edge. Proceed to watch as they soar uncontrollably into the distance (due to their AI not being programmed with gliders in mind).
- As Captain Sparklez demonstrated, it's possible for a spit-fight between llamas to erupt if one accidentally spits at another.
- The description for the new advancement "Serious Dedication" states "Completely use up a diamond hoe, and then reevaluate your life choices."
- Minecraft hit one million sales. Drunk Notch, karaoke, and a nerf gun followed.
- Minecraft 1.2 trailer:
(while falling) "I heard that you can build twice as high in Minecraft now""Oh really, that's interesAAAAAAAHHH"
- Another YouTube video, this time a recording of someone's live stream where he was just wrapping up for the session. The music just perfects the overall mood. WHAT THE SHIT-*dies*
- Creeper juice!
- It's a rap video (maybe)... until.. well, check it out for yourself.
- "Chickens fucking everywhere!". Someone finds out the properties of eggs when thrown at stuff (ie, they can spawn 1-4 chickens), so he and a bunch of friends mess with it, but they soon realise they've woken a sleeping giant here. Eventually the server overloads, especially when he tries something drastic.
- This entire video. Filled with plenty of Angrish, pained cries of "WHAT THE FRICK", and failed attempts to ride a minecart, this stream has something for everyone!
- Most items that involve the day/night cycle or direction start to bug out when you enter the Nether. However, the silliest case of this would have to be wood-and-wool beds exploding violently when one attempts to use them.
- The Beta 1.6.6 patch notes. It has some nice tweaks, nothing too major... Wait, "Removed Herobrine"? What.
- That's been in every patch for some time. Either Notch still thinks it's hilarious, or he's trying to do damage control on the persistence of the meme.
- Blowing up an island. What makes it funny is the player's over-the-top reactions.
I DID THAT! MEEEEEE! ...MEEEEEEE!
- He also laughs maniacally.
- Minecraft's lava physics are almost Wile E. Coyote-ish. Gives you exactly the right amount of time to regret what you have done.
- Another video from the same guy, the Suicide Chicken. Ten seconds of a chicken, and a full minute of him laughing.
- A guy who plays Minecraft and shows off mods is constantly informed of things he appears to be doing wrong, such as not using a pickaxe on a certain boss in the Aether mod, not using gold weapons to kill werewolves from the Mo'Creatures mod, or not using redstone repeaters for fireworks shows. He seemed to take it rather well.
- But whatever you do, do not break the rules on his watch.
- This guy now has his own trope page, right here.
- Bethesda threaten to sue Notch for an upcoming game called Scrolls for "stealing?" the name from The Elder Scrolls. Notch's proposal? A Trial-by-(Quake)-champion to settle this. Some people are waiting to see if it will work.
- Best part? NOTCH IS ACTUALLY SERIOUS.
- For those curious, the suit ended in not only a refusal, but Notch won the round, with the court ruling that Scrolls was not likely to be mistaken for the full title of The Elder Scrolls.
- Best part? NOTCH IS ACTUALLY SERIOUS.
- One word. BUNNIES.
- While that video was a mod from years ago, as of September 2014, Rabbits are in the official game.
- It is now possible, in creative, to latch onto animals with a fishing rod, fly up to a very great height and yank them, thus causing them to go flying for miles. It never gets old.
- Monster Spawners usually only create boring zombies or skeletons, but through hacking, you could get anything from pigs to Endermen. Hilarity was sure to ensue.
- With an update allowing Creative spawn eggs to change the mobs spawned, it is now more accessible!
- Those aren't diamonds, they're Fuck-Me Stones.
- When Sethbling is not busy making awesome things in Minecraft, he's doing things that are both silly and awesome.
- The Automatic Cartwash. Or not.
- Cooking "eggs".
- Sethbling became the leader of the MindCrack server. For Aprils' Fools Day .
- Also, this. Epic fail. :(
- When you understand one of the references made in the splash screen.
- There's one that says "Less addictive than TV Tropes!"
- Tobuscus improvs a song about a cheating sugar cane daddy in Minecraft called "Sugar Cane Song".
- There's also the Pumpkin Massacre.
- Heck, the entirety of "Enderman Roomate", especially "What the-".
- Parts 31, 32, and 33 of his Minecraft videos are a textbook example of From Bad to Worse. in Part 31, Toby drowns in the water near his house when he forgets to surface for air. Then, because his bed was obstructed, he doesn't respawn in his house and has to find where he died, a problem made worse by his No Sense of Direction. In Part 32, Toby is forced to turn the game to peaceful mode as he dives for his items. Having spent half the video looking for his items, he goes off to bed... and dies because it was obstructed, losing his items and being teleported away from his house again. Part 33 is entirely comprised of him trying to find his house.
- Someone made fun of the broken base, FOR EVERY UPDATE UP TO THE HALLOWEEN UPDATE! Link: Mojang goes bankrupt.
- The 1.1 update added multiple language options. Guess what one of the options is? Pirate!
- A chunks error can cause this◊ to happen. That player won't be running out of beef any time soon.
- Version 1.2 introduces something that Creepers are afraid of: Cats. No, really. Tame a few and watch Creepers avoid you like the plague.
- The code for enchanting, when translated, is completely random and nonsensical. What the nether is "shorten wet beast physical?"
- Heck, ANY GameChap mod review, especially the Herobrine series.
- Why it is not a good idea to place a bed just below the ceiling.
- Team Avolition, a griefing team, was challenged to see how much griefing they could perform on the Doridian server before getting caught. Stealing 3,500 diamonds, burning down the fabled city, and annoying the crud out of an admin who has no ban powers are the LEAST of their accomplishments. Doubles as a Crowning Moment of Awesome that they were able to pull this off in the first place.
- Their attack against the Rice-Think server was also glorious. The owner and his moderators started a smear campaign on both their website and Team AVO's forums, claiming that they had "won" and that they would "never be defeated." When their server went public, Team AVO found out that no attempt was made to hide or protect anything of value, and that the server's moderation team had the combined mental acuity of an acorn. Gather round and hear the tale of the dumbest admin who ever lived.
- "Sometimes it's hard to be a God", featuring the Clay Mod, full of Literal Metaphors (such as the world being named "The Heavens and the Earth"), faux-epic moments (such as green and blue soldiers parachuting in on feathers), and ultimately culminating in God just deciding to delete "The Heavens and the Earth".
- RubberRoss's Derpcraft. What's even funnier is that the cartoon was based on his initial reactions.
- Alekidsonic's Minecraft shorts. It's also a bit of a Take That! to people who start playing Minecraft for the very first time.
- The Weeping Angel mod, when spotlighted by the Yogscast, has one of the Angels going into Simon's house, and he doesn't have a pickaxe to destroy it with. How is this solved? By digging a hole in the floor, getting the Angel to fall into it... and just putting floor blocks over it. There's now a Weeping Angel trapped under the floorboards. Problem solved. When he realizes he's got no way to leave the house surrounded by Angels without dying and respawning in the house, he deletes the world to solve the problem.
- After 34 minutes of fail in the 404 challenge, these two adventurers decide to give it one last try and make a "pimp room". The result is...well, just watch.
- A Youtuber by the name of donut223isme made a series called "Weeping Angels to the The End" where he plays the game all the way through with the Weeping Angels mod. In episode 7, he accidentally falls down a chasm and tries to climb back up. After making it to a landing, he places a torch to see his immediate area. He reacts to what he sees accordingly.
- "What a pleasant day today! Nothing bad could possibly happen. Isn't that right, SCP-173? Yeah, we're best friends, and— AAHH!"
- Achievement Hunter's Let's Play Minecraft series.
- Ghasts sound like crying babies. What are the sounds they really make? The demented meows of C418's cat, slowed down.
- Beating something to death with a porkchop. Or an egg. Or seeds. Or a mushroom. Or whatever you feel like using.
- The Mob Rap 2 has a few joke verses, which come from the Chicken and the Squid. Also, Skeleton's reaction to Herobrine showing up can be seen as this.
- This video is probably the most cheerful death montage ever recorded. It showcases 50 noteworthy deaths from a player who is prone to maniacal laughter, blind panic, and general clumsiness all at once.
- The sequel video shows that this player has become more skilled, such that one of the only things keeping him from remaining alive is his sister, who is just as hysterical as he is.
- Number 3, with 75 deaths. He just can't catch a break, can he?
- Jesse Plays Minecraft: The Scariest Game Ever Made Parts One and Two.
- The Luckiest Minecraft Player Ever, who mines a block directly underneath him in the Nether, falls directly into lava, must swim to a very far shore, is attacked by two Ghasts, and falls into a 2 by 2 lava hole—and somehow makes it out alive.
- A Spanish LPer, while on Hardcore mode, tried to ensure his small house was safe, using a gate made of pistons and an alarm made of notes. The idea of using just an iron door apparently didn't cross his mind. The massive structure for the machinery took a lot of space, being several times bigger than the house itself. It was so poorly designed that it prevented him from enlarging the house, as it was surrounded on all its sides by the machinery. Not to mention that it took him quite some time. The funny part? All this didn't help him when a creeper entered his house. Just see his Heroic B.S.O.D. here. The worst part? The creeper entered through the structure he had created to build the alarm. He could have avoided it if he hadn't built it in the first place.
- The same LPer tried to get some steaks by killing some cows with fire. Instead of using flint and steel like anyone else would have done, this LPer tried it with lava. Unfortunately for him, when trying to get back the lava after burning the first cow, a misclick gave him a bucket of milk and a very hot death.
- The same LPer built a witch farm in his survival series, but instead of lighting the area to prevent enemy spawning outside the farm, he went for the quickest solution, to built a huge tower. He eventually came to regret his decision, as some chapters later, he suffered the consequences. He had to spent an entire chapter to kill more than 200 zombies that had spawned in the surrounding area. The fight reached its climax in a cave where more than 160 zombies were lurking. To add more laughs, for some unknown reason, every single zombie happened to be wielding an egg. This was probably because a chicken made its way down there at some point, and because neither passive mobs nor zombies holding items despawn, they were permanently stuck there.
- Another Spanish LPer, also on Hardcore mode, entered the Nether for the first time, only to discover that he had spawned on the top of a tower-like hill with no visible way to get down safely and, what's worse, some lava pillars were falling down towards him.
- The entirety of the Jeoffreys Chamber map, with a deliciously hammy kidnapper and a goddamn hilarious Villain Song at the end.
- It has a sequel.
- In 1.6, the villagers were given voices. They also eerily resemble Squidward. Three guesses to who their talking sounds like...
- Step 1: Play single player. Step 2: go about normally. Step 3: Make a stick or just grab a stick you have premade due to grossly overestimating how many sticks you need. Step 4: Get an anvil. Step Five: Create THE STICK OF DESTINY!
- Spawning on a tiny island far, far, FAR away from any sort of mainland, and only having a small tree to work with is as fun as having a diamond pick shoved up your nose. Proceeding to turn all of the wood into sticks and not getting a sapling, however, is funny once your mind registers what you just did.
- Notch and Patrick randomly decide where to hold Minecon 2013.
- The Greatest Minecraft Video Ever is an Affectionate Parody of what people do to make their Minecraft videos popular. It has really catchy music and it is absolutely hilarious.
- What's worse than falling to a pit full of creepers? Having some cobweb slow your way to the bottom. Cue 30 seconds of watching helplessly how you fall to your death, while your teammates watch your fall from above and laugh.
- Trying to kill an Enderman by dropping him out of a dirt platform over the void may not be a good idea, due to the One In A Million Chance of him stealing the block both of you are standing on.
- Minecraft isn't particularly a violent game but there are quite a number of ways to die in it, if you're unlucky enough.
- What's the most stupid thing you can do in Minecraft? Definitely, one possible candidate is trying to lock a creeper inside a house made of TNT. Some guys attempted it twice. It ended up as well as you could expect.
- Bite-sized Minecraft and its sequel. All of it.
- Especially the "Thiller" parody:
- Squids seem to appear randomly for almost no reason at all.
- Also from Element Animation, we have Villager News, which provides a hilarious interpretation of the villagers as they make their own news channel to showcase news stories that would otherwise be too mundane to even report. Almost every technological object not found in Minecraft are made up of villagers.
- It also has a sequel, Villager News 2. How the heck did the newscaster not notice the alien spaceship behind him?
- Testificate News, a extra for the aforementioned Villager News 2, addresses the problem by showing various villagers parodying various people trying to stop the spaceship. It doesn't work. And then the newscaster gets sucked into the spaceship...
- The Syndicate project in collaboration with Element Animation and Roomie did a parody of the original Pokémon theme music. It is both hilarious and the most ''awesome'' thing imaginable.
- One YouTuber was doing a Let's Play of his own mod pack for the game, including The Lion King mod. At the end of the mod, he goes to the Upendi dimension, which is supposed to be a utopia like location free of hostile mobs. Between that episode (were he was enjoying the dimension once he got there) and the next, the Cubebot mod glitched and the next episode begins with Upendi overun by a gigantic swarm of Zombie Cubebots (which have been making his life hell since the update introducing them). He's forced to go to creative and then gleefully sets it to day so he can watch them burst into flames and die in the sunlight.
- On another episode, a creeper somehow gets into his house and blows up, his reaction is hilarious. 
- Whenever skeletons shoot each other. They'll stop pursuing you, turn to whoever shot them, and return the favor. A duel to the death will then commence.
- Better yet, enclose them and take bets. It's cockfighting WITH SKELETONS!
- It's even worse with witches. All it takes is one stray splash potion and suddenly every witch in the vicinity will turn on each other. And none of them will die because they heal themselves faster than they can inflict debuffs and damage. It's quite a sight to behold, but if you get caught in the crossfire, your death is assured.
- Tricking a skeleton into killing a Creeper will result in an Easter Egg in which the Creeper drops a music disc upon being killed.
- Cows' legs when they're running. RL cows legs don't bend that way!
- Dinnerbone's summary of snapshot 15w41 sounds like a description of an action film scene.
This week’s snapshot brings you the ability to smash out of the window of a high tower building, fly past the bad guys who are all shooting you with surprisingly bad accuracy, swoop down and land flawlessly into a strategically placed boat and then paddle away at moderately high speeds with the stolen prize pig in the back.
I’m not really sure what it all means, though.
- This video of Minecraft, in which KSI or JJ was trolled by future Ultimate Sidemen member Zerkaa or Josh, as well as their future associate Callux.
- Notice at the start that before the entire trolling started, JJ died from drowning twice. After that, he gets beaten up by Josh in the water area, with JJ complaining that it's not fair.
- JJ was spawned by Josh into a building made out of bedrock, trapping JJ inside.
- After Callux was killed by JJ during the bedrock building part, Josh decided to put creepers chasing (and blowing up) JJ. Multiple times.
- Remember JJ's gags about black man can't swim? After JJ escapes into the sea midway through the video, Callux easily chases him. Just to make situation a lot worse, Josh still put a lot of creepers onto JJ.
- Later, Josh decided to let JJ able to fly. He was able to fly so high... Only for Josh to deactivate the fly command for JJ.
- Finally, Josh ends the entire trolling by letting JJ get killed by lots of spiders.
- Youtuber PopularMMOs was doing a Mod Showcase for the More TNT mod with his wife Jen on a copy of their old Let's Play world. However, Pat forgot what mods were installed during that, and as a result the first two explosions end up setting off TNT that ended through the entire ground. The end result is them having to change to a new world because it won't stop exploding and more or less the entire world is hallowed out by blasts.
Pat: I think we broke the world.
- One youtuber by the name of MagmaMusen attempts to show that killing a skeleton with a charged creeper explosion drops a skull. It takes him four tries because the skeleton refuses to die.