Would you like to board a train which celebrates New Year's Eve all through the night while it is reaching its destination? It has plenty of cool costumes, food, mind-altering substances and loose women! You could say it is the very definition of Cool Train
Not interested, eh? You might interested in the fact that it also has David Copperfield performing magic acts
Now that you're onboard, you should also know that there's also a disgruntled killer, who was a victim of a nasty prank three years ago among the guests
. Have fun!
And that's how the plot goes for this 1980 Slasher Movie
directed by Roger Spottiswoodenote
and starring Jamie Lee Curtis
, Ben Johnson and the aforementioned David Copperfield.
Terror Train will be stopping in:
- Asshole Victim: Out of the killer's targets, Doc is worst since he insists on pulling pranks which leave others hurt. His case isn't helped when he locks out Alana from his cabin when he thinks that the killer is near.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: Alana, so much. She's just as involved in the prank as everyone else, but is presented as morally superior to the rest despite the fact that she acts in stupid and, often, hypocritical ways.
- Cassandra Truth: When Doc finds Mo dead, he starts screaming for help, but is ignored due to his practical joker nature.
- Chekhov's Gunman: Stage magician's female assistant isn't much in focus, because she really is Kenny Hampson in disguise.
- Closed Circle: The train. And since it's winter, its passengers cannot just leave it and walk to safety.
- Covers Always Lie: Out of the five costumes in the german poster above, the killer wears only three of them.
- Deadly Prank: The Prank Date in the opening, which sets up the future killer for sex... with a dismembered corpse.
- Disney Villain Death: The killer is struck from the train with a shovel, and he drops into the icy river below.
- Everyone Is a Suspect: Because the killer keeps changing costumes, anyone could be him.
- Final Girl: Kenny leaves Alana for last, since it was she who lured him into the bed with corpse.
- Flashback Echo: The killer is done in when Alana triggers a flashback in his mind to the traumatic prank, making him disoriented enough to be defeated.
- Go Mad from the Revelation: Opening scene's Prank Date does this to Kenny, though according to Alana he was mentally unstable even before that.
- Horror Doesn't Settle for Simple Tuesday: One new year is ruined by setting up a guy in bed with a corpse, the other by having the said guy returning for revenge.
- Jerkass: Everyone involved in the prank counts, including Alana.
- Off with His Head!: The killer attacks Doc from behind, and his severed head is discovered later when his cabin is searched.
- Offscreen Teleportation: The magician does it at one point as a part of his act, which has him disappearing from under a sheet and appearing behind his audience.
- Pick a Card: Carne does this trick with a co-worker of his, and he states that he uses magic trick to break the ice with customers at his other job as RV-salesman.
- Pirate Girl: Alana boards the train dressed as a pirate.
- Red Herring: The Magician is one, since he is clearly interested in Alana and later Doc remembers that Kenny was into magic.
- Shaming the Mob: When the agitated partiers think that the magician is behind the killings and are going to rush his cabin, Carne talks them down.
- Slashed Throat: Doc's girlfriend Mitchy thinks that she is going to have good time with Jack, but learns too late that the killer is disguised as him. She is later discovered with her throat slit, much to her friend Alana's horror.