Yeah, you! Would you like to board a train which celebrates New Year's Eve all through the night while it is reaching it's destination? It has plenty of cool costumes, food, mind-altering substances and loose women! You could say it is the very definition of Cool Train
Not interested, eh? You might interested in the fact that it also has David Copperfield performing magic acts.
Now that you're onboard, you should also know that there's also a disgruntled killer, who was a victim of a nasty prank couple of years ago, among the guests. Have fun!
And that's how the plot goes for this 1980 Slasher Movie
directed by Roger Spottiswoodenote
and starring Jamie Lee Curtis
, Ben Johnson and the aforementioned David Copperfield.
A remake was in development, but it eventually evolved
into the Hostel
(which retains the Terror Train
title in Japan).
Terror Train will be stopping in:
- Axe Before Entering: And quite literally too.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: Alana, so much. She's just as involved in the prank as everyone else, but is presented as morally superior to the rest despite the fact that she acts in stupid and, often, hypocritical ways.
- Cassandra Truth: When Doc finds Mo dead, nobody believes him due to his practical joker nature.
- Chekhov's Gunman: Stage magician's assistant.
- Closed Circle: The train.
- Covers Always Lie: Out of the 5 costumes in the german poster above, the killer wears only three of them.
- Deadly Prank: The Prank Date involving setting up the future killer for sex... with a dismembered corpse.
- Death by Mocking: All the college kids
- Disney Villain Death: The killer is struck from the train with a shovel and drops into the icy river below.
- Everyone Is a Suspect: Because the killer keeps changing costumes, anyone could be him.
- Final Girl: Alana.
- Flashback Echo: The killer is done in when Alana triggers a flashback in his mind to the traumatic prank, making disoriented enough to be defeated.
- Go Mad from the Revelation: Opening scene's Prank Date does this to Kenny, though according to Alana he was mentally unstable even before that.
- Holy Backlight: Used in the magician's card act.
- Horror Doesn't Settle for Simple Tuesday
- Jerkass: Everyone involved in the prank counts, including Alana.
- Jerk Ass Victim: How many didn't feel regret when Doc was killed?
- Off with His Head!: How Doc is killed
- Offscreen Teleportation: The magician does it at one point.
- Red Herring: The Magician is one, since he is clearly interested Alana and later Doc remembers that Kenny was into magic.
- Shaming the Mob: When the agitated partiers think that the magician is behind the killings and are preparing for an attack, Carne talks them down.
- Shovel Strike: The killer falls from the train after a well-placed hit from a shovel.
- Stage Magician: Did we mention David Copperfield?
- Thriller on the Express
- Villainous Crossdresser: The killer, when he is working as the magician's assistant.