Film: Dirty Work
Best friends Mitch (Norm MacDonald) and Sam (Artie Lange) need $50,000 to get Sam's father a life-saving heart operation. Problem is, both are completely incompetent when it comes to holding down a job. That is, until they figure out they can make a living out of the one thing they're actually good at: Revenge!Co-written by MacDonald, and directed by Bob Saget. Yes, the star of Full House and Americas Funniest Home Videos!
Provides Examples Of:
- Army of Thieves and Whores: Mitch organizes a crack team assembled of senior citizens, homeless dudes, and "my loyal army of prostitutes" to stop Travis Cole.
- Badass Grandpa: Pops, who used to be a boxer and scares the hell out of Mitch.
- Beauty Inversion: Supermodel Rebecca Romijn plays the Bearded Lady.
- The Cameo: Don Rickles as the theater owner. Also, Adam Sandler as Satan, and Gary Coleman as himself. Oh, also, John Goodman as the mayor and Rebecca Romijn as the Bearded Lady.
- Cannot Tell a Lie: Mitch can't say "no" normally when he lies. Sam calls him on it.
- Chainsaw Good: The off-screen drug deal fight.
- Chekhov's Gun: Mitch's "note to self" tape recorder catches Travis Cole admitting that he deceived Mitch and Sam into getting the apartment building condemned. Also, the hallucinogenic brownies play a role in the film's climax.
- Comedic Sociopathy: It's a movie about petty revenge.
- Comically Missing the Point: In the theater, one man of the audience fails to realize that the production has been completely ruined by our heroes and applauds with amusement and compliments the cast as if all of the scandalous events were part of the show.
- Corrupt Corporate Executive: Travis Cole, who is demolishing peoples' homes to make room for his opera fascination.
- Deadpan Snarker: It's Norm freaking MacDonald. Of course this is a trope.
- Disposable Sex Worker: Parodied when Mitch plays a prank that makes it appear that all the vehicles at a used car dealership have dead hookers in the trunks.Mitch: I've never seen so many dead hookers in my life!
Creepy Guy: Lord knows I have.
- Dumbass Has a Point: For a big lummox, Sam is surprisingly astute at times, like when he figures out Kathy likes Mitch because she's so pissed off at him, or when he points out how he knows when Mitch is lying.
- Evil Is Petty: Travis Cole wants the building torn down for money. Getting Mitch and Sam to do it was just for cruelty.
- Faux Affably Evil: Cole can smile and reassure You he is good while plotting to ruin Your entire life for a minor mistake.
- Gone Horribly Right: A guy hires the pair to get back at some obnoxious and noisy neighbors. The pair break into the house and hide fish all over the house to stink up the place. Suddenly said neighbors arrive prompting the two to hide. The neighbors turn out to be mobsters carrying out a drug deal. One of them says "Smells like fish in here," which the others mistake for some sort of code phrase and accuse him of wearing a wire causing a brutal massacre to occur (see Sound-Only Death below). Then the employer shows up...Employer: That's it! The noise has GOT TO STOP! [sees the horrible carnage]...Oh my God! I never asked you to do this!
- Groin Attack: Pops McKenna can really squeeze a pair of balls.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Kind of a funny example:Mitch: Are you with me?
Mitch: Okay, are you with me based on the assumption that if I screw up, you all get to kick my ass?
*crowd shouts enthusiastically*
- Hooker with a Heart of Gold: Hilariously inverted. At the end of the film Jimmy gets married to the Vietnamese prostitute who bit his nose off, and she's a complete psychopath.
- Humiliation Conga: Mitch gets two. At the beginning of the film, he loses his job and has his girlfriend throw him out on the street and then his car breaks down. After his mistake about the apartment building is revealed, he loses his new girl, loses his business, gets punched in the stomach by the landlord, gets kicked out of Sam's place, and has his car robbed while he's sleeping in it. At this point, he's so defeated all he can do is ask the thief to be quiet about it so he can sleep.
- I Banged Your Mom: Pops springs the news on Mitch that he's his father. For proof, he shows Mitch a heart locket with their photos in it. When Mitch protests that doesn't prove anything, he brings out photos of the two in the middle of sex, much to the horror of Mitch.
- Invulnerable Knuckles: Averted. Mitch punches one of the frat boys in the face and is in a very intense amount of pain afterwards, partly because he has almost no fighting experience.
- Kick the Son of a Bitch: Pretty much the entire point of the film.
- Let Us Never Speak of This Again: After they find out they're half-brothers, Mitch and Sam reminisce.Sam: Remember in the second grade when we used those rusty soda can tops to become blood brothers? Well, it was really a bunch of trouble for nothing because we were already brothers!
Mitch: Yeah, that's right. Hey, you remember in fifth grade when I was under the monkey bars and I sneaked a peek at your sister's underwear? You remember that? No, no, I was sneaking a peek at my own sister's underwear!
Sam: Hahahaha, that's right! Oh yeah, and remember in the twelfth grade, you had sex with her? HaŚ
Mitch: Okay, enough reminiscing.
- Luke, I Am Your Father: Mitch finds out after Pops' heart attack that he's his father.Kathy: You two are brothers?
Mitch: Yeah, it's a long story.
Sam: My dad boned his mom.
Mitch: Okay, it's a short story.
- The Masochism Tango: At the end of the film, Jimmy marries the Vietnamese prostitute who bit his nose off.
- Mistaken for Prostitute: Thanks to Travis Cole lying to him, Mitch thinks Kathy's grandmother is running a brothel.
- Mood Whiplash: Happens as Mitch and Sam stand on a rooftop and gaze up at the stars.Mitch: Y'know, when I was young, my mom used to tell me that the lights we see in the sky are from stars that burned out millions of years ago. It's like life, you know? I mean, something can be one way you think all your life, and then...and then in reality it's completely different.
Man on sidewalk below: Hey! I'm gonna kill you, asshole!
Mitch: *looks down* Sam, are you pissing off the side of the building?
Sam: *zipping up* Sorta.
- Morally Ambiguous Doctorate: Doctor Farthing (Chevy Chase) offers to push Pops up on the heart-donor list if they'll help him pay off his gambling debts.
- Mushroom Samba: Mitch has this after eating tainted brownies.
- Parallel Porn Titles: Men In Black Who Like To Have Sex With Each Other
- Pay Evil unto Evil: The idea behind Mitch and Sam's revenge business. They'll get back at the people in your life that did you wrong.
- Rape Discretion Shot: Played for Laughs with the Prison Rape scene. Not only is the rape itself not shown, but Mitch's reaction is comically understated.
- Rated M for Manly: Pops.
- Reality Ensues: Mitch plays a prank on Mildred's abusive boss that damages the business and gets her fired.
- Rousing Speech: Parodied. Mitch gives the residents of the building a speech to convince them to aid in scheme. When they aren't suitably motivated, he adds in the bit listed in Heroic Sacrifice.
- Running Gag: Mitch's Notes to Self; actually becomes a plot point.
- The Slacker: Mitch, of course.
- Smug Snake: Travis Cole. No surprise given he is played by Christopher McDonald.
- Sound-Only Death: The fish scene.Show this guy what we do to cops!
Say hello to the Devil for me!
I've been hit! Pablo, kill them! Kill them!
Make your gun spark(?) like the Devil himself!
Burn in hell, you bastards!
Oh, sweet Jesus, he's got me!
Mark, over there! Grab it! I use it to cut firewood!
Now you're killing me with that chainsaw!
He took away my chainsaw, and now he's using it on me!
Oh, God, is that a hand grenade?
- Surprise Incest: When Mitch was in high school he had sex with Sam's sister... not knowing that the three of them all have the same dad. Cue Fridge Horror from Mitch and Sam when they realize it.
- Trapped by Gambling Debts: Dr. Farthing is demanding $50,000 because he needs to pay off his bookie. In the ending Mitch notes that after performing the operation his bookie had him beaten to death anyway.
- Urine Trouble:Mitch: Sam, are you pissing off the side of the building?
Sam: Sort of.