We've switched servers and will be updating the old code over the next couple months, meaning that several things might break. Please report issues here
Fanfic Recs: Naruto General Fics
These are recommendations made by Tropers for Naruto
general fanfic, all of which have to be signed to stay on the page. Feel free to add a fanfic of your own to the list, but remember to use the template found here
You can also add to the current recommendations if you want. Refrain from posting Conversation in the Main Page
though; that goes in the discussion page.
Please put them in alphabetical order so that fics are easier to find.
open/close all folders
- Recommended by beeruckzII
- Synopsis: A ripped shirt. That's all Gaara communicated with, sending one every time his siblings attempted conversation.
- Comments: Absolutely heartbreaking! You WILL cry!
Ai no Itami (Love Pain)
- Recommended by A-Tisket,A-Tasket
- Pairings: Gaara/OC & OC/TBD & possibly Kakashi/OC
- Synopsis: "What makes this story a little unusual is our character's affiliation: they're with the antagonists. One of the bad guys. Two kunoichi from Hidden Sound who have only their village in common. This story focuses on the two of them as they grow apart and take on their own paths and their own stories. But of course those paths... their stories... are bound to one day meet again."
- Comments: The narration shifts between the two main characters, Tori and Itami. At first the story and the characters come off as Sue-ish, but the author puts it pretty well: "...other traits and whatnot that take away from these slightly Sue-ish traits. For instance, she [Itami] DOES have A personality, and isn't quite as strong as she thinks she is." The same goes for some of the character background. Nothing that's been done in a million other fanfics (e.g. Orochimaru gives realizes that the OC has great potential and decides to give them the curse mark) has happened so far.
- Status: On-going (updated about once a month, sometimes sooner, sometimes later, depending on number of views and rates/reviews)
Hiatus/Long time since update
Above the Underneath
- Recommended by Veloren, Kraesil
- Synopsis: "Careful Sensei. Look too closely underneath the underneath and you may fail to see what is right in front of you." Kakashi regarded the blond pensively, before he eye-smiled. "You have grown up a lot from the five-year-old I babysat, Naruto."
- Comments: So. Much. WAFF. Features ANBU!Kakashi babysitting a young Naruto, and continues through the events of the series. Good grasp of characterization, not yaoi.
And So, I Wait
- Recommended by LadyVenamisa, BobVosh
- Has its own page.
- Synopsis: Basically, Kakashi goes away on a five week mission, and Team 7 looks after three of his dogs. Guruko happens to be the dog Naruto looks after. As the two form a friendship, Guruko learns that there is another side to Naruto. This is a very dark fic at times, so go in expecting the worst! Saying anything else will ruin it!
by Gaming Ikari
- Recommended by lanky
- Pairing: Naruto/Tayuya (implied)
- Synopsis: Tayuya crawls away from her battle with Shikamaru and Temari and winds up crippled and bitter in the strangely compassionate care of a woman in Konoha. There, the only thing stopping her from sending a letter which could doom the town is a chance encounter with Naruto.
by Kushin eX
- Recommended by Comprende
- Synopsis: Naruto and Jiraiya trained together for years, a bond of sensei and student. This is a collection of moments displaying that bond.
The Best Laid Plans
- Recommended by Gemmifer
- Synopsis: Hinata and Neji Locked in a Room, without Hyuugacest. It's lighthearted comedy in which they both actually act their age.
Between Deception and Truth
- Recommended by CompleteNerd
- Synopsis: Madara had a plan. The Yondaime ruined it. Madara made another plan. One that could not fail. But the best laid plans of mice and men often go awry and this one had just run straight into the number one most surprising ninja in Konoha, one Uzumaki Naruto.
by Lord Achive
Breaking Up Isn't that Hard to Do
- Recommended by Valdimarian
- Pairings: NaruHina
- Synopsis: The Akatsuki has begun their hunt and Naruto has only started his training under Jiraiya. The means to protect Naruto goes beyond what any person has ever been asked to undertake before.
- Status: last updated 6/8/12.
Break the Sky
- Recommended by Kurtulmak
- Pairings: NaruSaku
- Synopsis: Naruto publicly breaks up with Sakura, leaving her dumbfounded because she was never dating him in the first place. What kind of game is Naruto playing at, and why won't anyone believe Sakura's?
The Broken Tool
- Recommended by Kraesil
- Synopsis: One lesson Uzumaki Naruto taught the world was that glass ceilings are fragile, and limits are only for the fools who believe in them.
- Comments: As of Feb 10, 2014 this fic is still relatively new, but is great and promises to be be even greater. Not a cheerful fic- the darker themes in the Naruto verse (Ninja paranoia ruining things, ninja loyalty scary in its absoluteness, trust issues there for very good reason) are expanded upon here. You know it's bad when Naruto fears the Third- but really, it's well justified fear.
- Status: Active as of Feb 10, 2014
- Recommended by Amitra Day
- Pairings: Haku/OC
- Synopsis: Haku is alive, barely, after the battle at the bridge. With his master, Zabuza, dead and a team of vengeful hunter ninja close on his trail can he hope to last long?
- Status: Completed
- Sequel: Kirigakures Shore
Butterfly in Reverse
- Recommended by Fire Lizard In A Bottle
- Synopsis: The Kyuubi has control of Naruto's body, and Konoha is suffering. Iruka has two choices, and he's about to crash and burn.
by Bite the hand that feeds
- Recommended by Athenaswings
- Pairings: KakashixIruka
- Synopsis: Konoha is going to war, undermanned or not.
and the sequel The Winding Path
Comrade in Irons
- Recommended by: Soulseller, Kraesil
- Synopsis: “If this is the afterlife, then why aren’t you in hell?” Itachi only smiles cryptically. Death is a destination, the afterlife a series of paths. Gen. fic, oneshot. Jiraiya, Itachi, others.
- In the afterlife, the journey is just as important as the destination. Jiraiya seeks his student, Itachi seeks redemption, and a newcomer seeks a friend. Sequel to ncfan's "Chasing Shadows." One-shot, manga spoilers.
Death of a Kage Bunshin
- Recommended by: Long Live Humour
- Synopsis: After a mission goes horribly wrong, Naruto and Kakashi must battle their way back to Konoha in the face of false accusation. Faced with a series of baffling murders, Shikamaru must unravel a scheme that could destroy his friends as well as Konoha itself.
- Comments: It's gripping. It's funny. It's a breeding ground for Moments of Awesome, small and large. Characterisation, plot and style are all well above the average. Treasure this one, because you're not going to find many like it.
- Status: Last updated Oct 2012
- Recommended by Jamesthe Fox, BobVosh
- Synopsis: Kage Bunshin no Jutsu was perfect in every way and form. It is only the human element of it that is inherently flawed.
The Desert Listens for her Name
- Recommended by Awika, Kraesil
- Synopsis: "As he held the still and small body in his hands, he shattered." Saying anything further would spoil this provocative and emotional one-shot story. I would also suggest that you have tissues handy.
The Dichotomy of Namikaze Naruto
- Recommended by DJ Lucy, Arcane Azmadi
- Synopsis: There are many truths to this world - these ones belong to the wind, to Temari.
Does anyone see me?
- Recommended by LordGale119
- Pairings: Naruto/Multi
- Synopsis: The night after Naruto defeats Mizuki, he is pulled into the seal by the Kyuubi to discuss their predicament now that he knows about her- it's fem.Kyuu, as are most fics I read. He learns a good deal about the seals (yes, plural.) placed on him, and finds out he isn't quite who he thought he was. Things only begin to get more awesome from there. He inherits the Yondaime's estate, begins training under the Kyuubi directly, and becomes generally made of win.
, by evil_genus
- Recommended by Blue Magicite
- Synopsis: In the loss of Jiraiya, Naruto takes a moment to reflect, and wonder at his own darkness. Introspective, sorta Angsty, one-shot set between ch 403-407 in the Manga…
by Elizabeth Culmer
The End of a Dream
- Recommended by AkatsukiDaybreak
- Synopsis: A look at Gaara's family through Temari's eyes, both before and immediately after Gaara's birth.
The eyes have it
- Recommended by Awika, Kraesil
- Pairings: "Minato"/Naruto
- Synopsis: Naruto had an imaginary friend, a man who was like the sun. That's how it all began. And this is how it ends.
by Shana the Short
Fetish? What's A Fetish?
- Recommended by: Puidwen, Mcnickel,nindjo
- Synopsis: Most people seem to think that developing a doujutsu is a wondrous, unspeakably lucky occurrence. Considering that she now has to deal with an ability she has no idea how to use, family drama, fashion crises, and the world's most rude and vulgar doctor, on top of getting to know her new genin team just after graduation...needless to say, Sakura begs to differ.
- Comments: The story takes a realistic look at what would happen if Sakura suddenly started developing a new doujutsu. It's a very enjoyable read with good characters and Sakura doesn't suddenly become some godlike ninja thanks to her new powers. I highly recommend it.
Five Kingdoms for the Dead
- Recommended by Kuviz
- Pairings: Naruto/??
- Synopsis: "That may very well have been the dumbest thing you've ever said. Naruto, how in the world can you not know what sex is?"
by Evil Is A Relative Term
- Recommended by crimsonreveries
- Pairings: Slight Neji and Sakura.
- Synopsis: After the Forest of Death, Sakura comes to realize that being weak is no longer an option. However, she finds that change is sometimes painful and that truth doesn't always come easy. REVISED.
- Recommended by Nitramy
- Pairings: Naruto/Sakura
- Synopsis: Sakura notices something odd in the mirror, and since her mother seems hesitant to explain what's going on, she decides to find her own answers... but is she ready for the truth?
The Girl from Whirlpool
- Recommended by Little Kit
- Synopsis: Deidara doesn't get angry when people mistake his gender. He actually finds it hilarious. So catching wind of gossiping Akatsuki members doesn't lead to explosions galore. It just leads to copious amounts of trolling of his comrades. Sasori is not amused. Fem!Dei, but not. Sort of. No one's really all that sure, at this point. And then things go down.
- Has its own page.
The Heart Of A Ninja
- Recommended by Electroninja, boonerunner, HirakuJoutei, BobVosh and Thriaemis
- Pairings: Minato/Kushina
- Synopsis: The story of Minato meeting Kushina and the development of their relationship from childhood to adulthood.
- Now has its own Tropes Page.
The Hidden Life of Morino Ibiki by Illegitimi
- Recommended by Fire Lizard In A Bottle
- Pairings: Kakashi/Iruka
- Synopsis: Someone wants to hurt Kakashi, where better to aim for than his heart?
The Hokage's Will
- Recommended by Friendsheyho
- Pairings: Ibiki x OC
- Synopsis: "How Life, Art, and Morino Ibiki all came together in one single tapestry of fate." A touching, deep look into one of the series' most undervalued characters. The author manages to include many OCs in a believable way, and although the story is over 100 chapters, I'm still hooked.
by Airheaded dude
- Recommended by Xenxa Girl
- Synopsis: It starts just after Naruto defeated Pein. Tsunade is still in a coma, so the Leader of the Land of Fire appoints a new Hokage, who is none other than Naruto (after some arguments from Danzo). Now Naruto must pull himself together, make tough decisions mostly regarding Sasuke who is now being treated as a criminal, fight furious battles, and protect his village (and the world) from Madara's (and possibly Sasuke's) wrath.
- Status: last updated 06/27/10
Konoha no Senkou Arashi
- Recommended by orpheus_izanagi
- Pairings: Shikamaru/Ino
- Synopsis: Just close your eyes and pretend it never happened. Nobody said it wouldn't be painful. (Official Summary)
- Status: Complete
Outfoxed (formerly Lavender Heiress, Desert Rose and Snake Princess)
- Recommended by Ad Eb, Warrior Drgn Mage
- Pairings: FemNaruto/Sasuke
- Synopsis: She's finally become a shinobi, after years of acting the fool. Well, mostly acting anyway...
- Comments: With all the hundreds upon hundreds of Female Naruto fics out there, there are bound to be a few good ones among them.
- Status: Abandoned as of March 3, 2013. Awaiting adoption.
- Tropes Page
- Recommended by Zequirne
- Synopsis: What would happen if Naruto met the Kyuubi early and they actually became partners...even friends? Growing up, he meets many women who would come to love him for everything he is. They all work together through the ups and downs to achieve their dreams while realizing their feelings for each other.
A Marriage Inconvenienced
- Recommended by boomslangvenom
- Pairings: One-sided FemHaku/Naruto, future Naruto and unknown woman Most popular guess is Tenten
- Synopsis: The difference between Love and True Love isn't much... except for that 'Even Unto Death' part. Naruto, caught between love, death and his team, can't decide which is the most vexing. Not yaoi.
The Middle Ground
- Recommended by Pavlovas
- Pairings: Kakashi/Sakura
- Synopsis: Kakashi, realizing that Konoha will need a family to protect it once he dies and knowing that his own children would be the best for the job, has already picked out a wife for such an occasion as this: Sakura. Unfortunately, he returns to the village after an ongoing three-year mission to find that Sakura (who had no knowledge of his plans) has been won over by a lord of Lightning Country and is engaged to him to be married. It's an inconvenience all right, but if we know our favorite sensei, it isn't going to stop him. And Sakura meanwhile is keeping some secrets of her own...
The Mind is a Delicate Thing
- Recommended by Abby
- Pairings: Shino/Tenten
- Synopsis: If she lets him get too far away, she'll lose him. If he lets her in too close, he'll be skewered. Their best bet is somewhere in the middle ground. Shino. Tenten. Rated for violence and some language..
- Status: Complete
- Recommended by trialanderror
- Synopsis: The Hokage, Ibiki, and Kakashi decide to send Koyaiba, a new chuunin, to observe the Konoha 12 and see if any of them are mentally unstable. And with this action, a ball that might end up changing everything is sent rolling.
- Status: Complete. Sequel is currently being posted.
- Recommended by Marcelines Song Book
- Pairings: None as of yet.
- Synopsis: It's a Self-insert fiction, where the OC (real name has yet to be mentioned) dies and is reborn into Sakura Haruno's infant body. She knows the future (but may have forgotten a few details) and noticeable changes in canon begin to happen in the second chapter. Starting with the fact that the Rookie Nine are closer to each other than they are originally, Sakura using Ino to bring everyone together after befriending her.
- Comments: The writing flows well, and the style of the writing is very nice. The OC is also enjoyable, and I usually dislike them! There are one or two typos in each chapter, but they don't disrupt the flow of the story.
- Status: On-going.
The Mouse of Konoha
- Recommended by AkatsukiDaybreak
- Synopsis: Yashamaru visits his sister as the end of her pregnancy grows closer. What he sees definitely isn't pretty.
by Obsidian Dreamer
- Recommended by Lusthern
- Synopsis: Never underestimate the power of good advice. A few wise words into a pair of young ears leads a young would-be ninja to a decision; the Leaf will recognize him, but not as the fox.
by Lucifer Allheart
Naruto: Myoushuu no Fuuin
- Recommended by Comprende
- Synopsis: Orochimaru didn't stop the fight at the Chuunin exams, wanting to see the potential of the young shinobi present. But he had no idea just what kind of effects his decision would have.
by May Wren
- Recommended by: Lustheron, boonerunner, Terrie, Unclouded TJ, Athenaswings, Kraesil, Yagitakeru, star trail
- Synopsis: A seal had managed to defeat and imprison the Kyuubi no Kitsune, the strongest demon to ever exist. It was just ink on paper-or a stomach, as the case may be-and it held so much power… 'Yeah,' Naruto decided 'I gotta get me some of that.'
- Pairing(s): None yet. Lots of family feels among team 7 though.
Nom De Guerre
- Recommended by Chaosjunction, Jomlos, kjjejones42, ZeroXSEED, Catt, Duder Skanks
- Pairings: Naruto/Aiko
- Synopsis: A story on how different life would be if Uchiha Sasuke had a twin sister.
- Status: last updated 09/03/11
by Fiachra Ochiern
Nothing Gold Can Stay
- Recommended by kjjejones42, Kraesil
- Synopsis: Akatsuki has been banished, and Konoha finally has peace. But it comes at a terrible price. When an old enemy rises again, Konoha turns to a strange ally for help, one who brings back memories that might be best left buried. Note: Slightly divergent.
, by Ayien
- Recommended by AkatsukiDaybreak, Kraesil
- Synopsis: A heartrending collection of scenes from the life of Yugito Nii, who, along with the other jinchuriki, got severely shafted by Kishimoto IMHO.
The Place Beyond
- Recommended by Operation Shoestring, boonerunner, Tina Banina 96
- Synopsis: Yuki is the happiest person in Oasis. They couldn't break her spirit, so they broke her mind.
- Recommended by Ciabella
- Pairings: Hashirama/Mito.
- Synopsis: Good timber does not grow with ease; the stronger the wind, the stronger the trees. Hashirama/Mito, one-shot.
The Prodigal Namikaze
- Recommended by: roamingshadow
- Synopsis: Back before he started at the Academy, Naruto had a group of friends that he used to play with under the cover of darkness.
- Pairings: None
- Recommended by eduardogranja
- Synopsis: Naruto was born five years before the Kyuubi attack and the fox was sealed into his younger sister. His parent don't have the time to teach him so he looks to others to help him become a great shinobi.
- Pairings: Naruto/Kurotsuchi, Itachi/Shizuka (Shippuden filler character), Anko/Hana
- Comments: A well-built AU that doesn't sounds too forced and develops greatly, with most of the characters being depicted in a canonical while realistical way. The only set back is the fact that Naruto's progress in comparison to the rest of the cast is a lot more fast-paced.
- Recommended by: rallipretac
- Synopsis: Madara OC. He was known as the most powerful shinobi in the Fire Country. She was a simple girl, not even a ninja. It was a romance she did not even initiate, yet he would have her pay for it, a price in blood. Pre-canon.
- Status: On Extended Hiatus.
- Recommended by Awika
- Synopsis: "a man dies. and he lives. he is prometheus.
- "Comments": An alternate what-if that is very atmospheric and creepy. A side-story to "The End of a Dream".
- Recommended by: moberemk rallipretac
- Synopsis: Sometimes it's easy to see the familiar in the faces around you. Sometimes it sucks to figure out why.
- Comments: Love this. It is a gripping story about Team Seven and their bonds, and it carries you flawlessly.
by Yellow Mask
- Recommended by Kurtulmak
- Pairings: Sasuke x Sakura.
- Synopsis: Not long before Sasuke's final confrontation with Orochimaru, Sakura is taken prisoner by Sound slavers and must disguise herself to survive. An AU that covers the Itachi Pursuit arc, changed by Sakura's presence.
- Recommended by eduardogranja, Oztrickster
- Synopsis: When Naruto is given a gift considered legendary even in a world where walking on water is a daily occurrence for some, will it lead him on a path towards peace or will the consequences of said gift leave a hole in his heart too large to fill?
- Comments: An unique take into the "Naruto unlocks the Rinnegan" plot in which Naruto never actually becomes a ninja, but instead is trained as a monk. Deeply inspired by Avatar, the story is divided in various books and until the timeskip focuses on Naruto's journey to master the five elemental affinities.
by Fantastical Queen Ebony Black
Somewhere I Have Never Travelled, Gladly Beyond
- Recommended by AkatsukiDaybreak
- Synopsis: A poem from the perspective of Gaara's mother as she slowly spirals into insanity as Gaara's birth nears.
Soul of the Seal: The Ninja Adventures
- Recommended by Kurtulmak
- Pairings: Deidara/Sakura
- Synopsis: Naruto tries out a new technique in a battle between Team 7 and Deidara and Tobi which ends up sending Deidara and Sakura halfway across the world. Lost together in a land where no one speaks their language, the two forge an understanding as they try to make their way home.
The Spring of the Plague
- Recommended by Tuddrussell
- Synopsis: Naruto gets attacked, and then meets the Kyuubi, who is a woman. She helps him, and they forge a bond.
Spying no Jutsu
- Recommended by Aluminum Aegis, jtblion
- Synopsis: "When Konoha ninja return from investigating one of Orochimaru's laboratories, they bring back a devastating strain of chakra bacterium - Kimimaro's sickness developed into a bioweapon. Naruto and his friends struggle to find their place in the new Konoha. A cult calls for all ninjas to repent their sins, and Sasuke just wants his revenge."
- Comments: Despite the premise, this is not a Dark!Fic (though it certainly can become grim at points). It features a wonderful rendition of many of the Rookie 9 (particularly Neji, who gets more development and screentime here than over the whole of the manga), and one of the best Crazy!Sasuke's seen in fanfiction. Definitely needs more love.
- Recommended by serbii, nolrai, Draga, boonerunner, ultrafan, Hyp3r B14d 3
- Synopsis: Disguised as a girl, Naruto will spy on Kage level kunoichi at the Cute Polar Bear Hot Springs Festival. On a related note, Sasuke deals with his growing attration to a mysterious new kunoichi. Also, the first ever Iruka Love Polygon. That I'm aware of.
The Talk: Shinobi Version
- Recommended by Uzushio2047
- Synopsis When he lost hope his curse became his saving grace, through the Kyuubi's power his blood is awakened and enhanced. His heritage will be revealed to him and with it he will face his enemies head on! They will be left begging for sweet release.
A Thousand Hands
- Reccomended by capeclare
- Synopsis: Team 7 has reached an age where it is time for The Talk. The 'how's have already been covered at the academy – now it is time to get into the 'why's.
- Recommended by: Oztrickster
- Synopsis: The rise and fall of the man who moved nations; Senju Hashirama.
- Comments: The story is about how the Leaf Village came into existence, the various clans being united by Hashirama and the beginning of the hatred between the Uchiha and Senju. Although non canon, it's quite well written, other than some minor spelling errors and doesn't try to gloss over how bad things were before the existence of ninja villages.
To Live is So Much Harder
- Recommended by Kurtulmak, Ack Sed
- Pairings: SakuKiba, HinaChou, TemaShino, InoGaa, TenKanku and nine other equally creative pairings as the story progresses.
- Synopsis: Sakura, Ino, Temari, Hinata, and Tenten are fed up with Naruto, Sasuke, Neji, and Shikamaru and declare them "undateable." They decide to give the other guys their age a chance for three months.
Twenty Times Uzumaki Naruto Didn't Die
- Recommended by: Troper Lord Herobrine ( This is the same person )
- Status: Possibly Dead: Last update: Nov 12 of 2011
- Synopsis:After defeating his enemies and keeping his promise to the woman he loves, Naruto's life is happier than ever before. Life, however, can shatter even the strongest of men..... Author: Lord-Talon Rating M, Fiction, Angst/Hurt/Comfort. Naruto/Ino Y./centric.
- Comments: Centers around events in an older Naruto's life that make him reconsider everything. Involves Dark themes and some suggestive material, but a well written fic. 22 Chapters in length, 145K words.
by Kraken's Ghost
- Recommended by: Kosjurake, Frodo Lives, Kraesil
- Synopsis: Over time, Naruto is learning what it means to be Jinchuuriki. 20 Truths format. Dark-fic. Gore. Taken from the summary of the story.
- Pairings: Naruto x OC and Sasuke x Sakura but both are fairly minor parts of the story.
- Recommended by Danny007, WalkingOedipus
- Synopsis: Taken directly from the summary: Minato didn't know that when he shattered Tobi's mask in his fight, he set in motion a series of events that would shake the very foundations of the Shinobi world. AU.
- Pairing: Naruto/Hinata.
- Comments: The author paints the scenario of what could've happened had Minato broken Tobi's mask in their brief fight. The best Obito and Orochimaru characterization I've seen on fanfiction.net, but YMMV as the author does change a lot of things from canon.
- WalkingOedipus: Seconded the recommendation as of now it's really really good- I hope it stays this way- and a breath of fresh air in the stale Naruto fanfiction section. Orochimaru is a Magnificent Bastard, but I like it.
- Status: WIP, last updated September 2013.
Wayne, what happened to those fountains?
- Recommended by Grasvin
- Pairing: None yet.
- Status: Ongoing
- Synopsis: At a young age Naruto suffers torture at the hands of a man with unknown motives, loosing his voice in the process. From there he vows never to be weak again.
- Notes: Set in first person and starting in present tense but soon switches to past, since a majority of the story is about Naruto recounting his childhood to a biographer. No character bashing, though Naruto sometimes comes off as a bit of a jerk (particularly the first time he meets Sasuke). The writing is solid, the fight scenes flow together and don't drag on for pages, and Naruto's character development folds out very well.
by Meinos Kaen
- Recommended by Mirage, Nitramy, Unclouded TJ
- Synopsis: Naruto returns to Konoha and finally works up the courage to confess his true feelings to the love of his life. Oneshot.
- Pairing: Naruto/Sakura's mother. Yes, really.
- Recommended by: Mipp
- Synopsis: Sakura's always wanted to see her sensei Kakashi unmasked — just not quite like this.