Fanfic Recs: Naruto Shipping Fics
These are recommendations made by Tropers for Naruto
shipping fanfic, all of which have to be signed to stay on the page. Feel free to add a fanfic of your own to the list, but remember to use the template found here
You can also add to the current recommendations if you want. Refrain from posting Conversation in the Main Page
though; that goes in the discussion page.
Air and Darkness
Are You My Forever After?
- Recommended by Nitramy, Ack Sed, Arcane Azmadi, Khym Chanur
- Pairings: Shikamaru x Temari
- Synopsis: Nara Shikamaru, you will take Temari to be your lawfully wedded wife. To have and to hold, for better or worse, until the chauvinist pig chasing her is satisfied this isn't a trick. You may now scream in terror.
- Recommended by beeruckzII
- Pairings: Various
- Synopsis: In a world where the name of your soulmate is written on your wrist, not everything is as easy as it seems. 9 stories are told. The struggles they have, how they deal with their soulmates and how some of them avoid theirs. Does a soulmate always mean a happy ending?
- Comments: The chapters' layouts are quite unique and the concept itself is very original. And this is just the tip of the iceberg to a fantastic story! You really need to read it! Heck, I don't even like some of the pairings here and I think this story was well paced and put together!
- Notes: There are some sexual references and swearing!
Break to Breathe
- Pairings: Shikamaru/Temari
- Synopsis: Shikamaru has a mission to Suna, which must be completed before Tsunade's death. But there's more in store for him than a six-day round-trip and a paycheck.
- Notes: Terminated. Author is now trying to get published as a mangaka. I personally love PSI Teleports works - but none of them are remotely as awesome as this one.
Child of War
- Recommended by AwayLaughing
- Pairing: Shikamaru/Neji
- Synopsis: "Neji has always been in control. There's just one problem. It's killing him - and only Shikamaru can tell. But sometimes being pulled back from the edge is just as dangerous as being pushed there." First in a series, +100k.
- Notes: While some may hesitate over the rather strange pairing, rest assured all the characters are quite IC and beautifully depicted. Emotions and setting are very well incorporated into the mood of the story. It takes the author a few chapters to truly hit her stride, mostly in regards to pacing, but it's very well structured. The story is confirmed as following canon as closely as possible, working to incorporate original ideas where appropriate without refuting canon.
- Tags: Slash NSFW in regards to lemon and lime as well as violence.
- Recommended by beeruckzII
- Notes: On DeviantART
- Status: Might be dead since it hasn't been updated since February of 2013. The author says it's because of the story being stolen.
- Pairing: Kakuzu/Hidan
- Synopsis: He was just an orphaned teen, an abandoned child of war. Nothing new to rogue soldier, Kakuzu. So why does he feel the need to keep him at his side? AU.
- Comments: This story is magnificent in the developing of Kakuzu's and Hidan's relationship. They - like all relationships - have their ups and downs and disagreements while staying by each other's sides. And they're also kept in character! Not to mention that instead of a full 69 years of age difference between them, there's only about 15!
- Warnings: LOTS of swearing and cursing, violence, some blood, mentions of sensitive topics like slavery and death, and in the later chapters, the author has said there will be some sex scenes.
Clouded Mind and Heavy Heart
- Recommended by ASTK928
- Pairing: Naru/Hina
- Synopsis: "Relationships are slowly built from the ground up and it is something that you simply do not rush into. Naruto was flattered after hearing Hinata's confession and the two of them will take the small baby steps that will lead them closer together." +100k
- Notes: This was written right after the Invasion of Pain Arc so some details may are outdated.
- Tags: NSFW in regards to lemon and lime towards the middle chapters.
- Recommended by Synonyms.
- Pairing: Naruto/Sasuke.
- Synopsis: You reap what you sow. Sasuke plants seeds of doubt. Instead of fighting in the Valley of the End, Sasuke convices Naruto to join him.
- Warnings: Mind fuck, emotional manipulation, codependency, dubious consent.
Down the rivers of windfall light
- Recommended by: Legendia Advocate
- Pairings: Gaara/Naruto (Main), Itachi/Sasuke, Zabuza/Haku, one-sided Deidara/Gaara, implied Sasori/Deidara.
- Synopsis: Naruto wanted to know where his friends went every Friday night. When he's taken to Club Secret his question is answered and he becomes hopelessly entangled in the ancient battle between Vampires and Hunters. GaaNaru, ZabuHaku, ItaSasu.
- Notes: Updates slowly, but the chapters are generally about five thousand words per chapter when it does update.
Duty Before Honor
- Pairing: Kakashi/Obito.
- Recommend by: Synonyms.
- Synopsis: Left or right, forwards or back, there's always a choice. Obito chooses to return to Konoha, and the world rearranges itself from there. A series of non-chronological, interconnected shorts.
- Recommended: by adelz2
- Synopsis: Sakura knew why Tsunade didn't want a virgin on this mission. Things might get out of hand. Acts might be carried out too far. She was glad Kakashi was accompanying her, but right then she wouldn't have minded the entire population of Konoha.
- Pairing: Kaka/Saku
- Tags: NSFW
- Recommended by: rallipretac
- Synopsis: How much experience do you have?"...Tenten thought she knew all there was that needed knowing when it came to being a reliable kunoichi...but when she is handed a mission she never thought she'd get, she finds out that she was so wrong.
- Pairing: Neji Ten
- Tags: M-rated, but nothing explicit.
- Recommended by Nero81
- Pairings: Naruto x Sasuke, Kakashi x Iruka
- Synopsis: Set in an AU world where ninja powers are basically mutations. Iruka and Naruto offer up their home as a safe haven for mutants with nowhere to go. Kakashi offers to help out, dragging Sasuke along for the ride.
- Notes: Last updated May 2012.
The Greatest Thing You'll Ever Learn
- Recommended by rallipretac
- Pairing: Sasu Hina
- Synopsis: "In fifty days, Uchiha Sasuke will be executed." For fifty days, she will visit him. For fifty days, he will fall steadily in love. —Sasuke/Hinata
- Notes: This is a gorgeous, if incomplete, fic.
La Belle Dame Sans Merci
- Recommended by: Kittykittyface230
- Pairing(s): KakaIru, with a side of NaruSasu.
- Synopsis: Iruka is a twenty-something with a Plan: get a good job, get married, get a house, have kids. What he didn't expect is for the plan to be ruined by an enigmatic new colleague who Iruka just can't seem to forget. Ongoing, but updated regularly. Set in a sort-of high-school AU, revolving around teachers rather than students.
- Tags: Lemon and Lime, a couple of times, although the author always posts a warning before them.
Legends of the Foxwife
- Recommended by: Nero81
- Pairing(s): Naru Sasu.
- Synopsis: Life goes on after Sasuke's departure, except for how it doesn't. Three years after Valley at the End, Naruto is trying to mend broken promises, and Sasuke's just trying not to break.
- Tags: Dark themes.
- Recommended by: rakku
- Pairing(s): KakaNaru
- Synopsis: Collection of KakaNaru oneshots based on the fox-wife legend, which can be found in the first chapter.
- Tags: Lemon in some of the oneshots, though the author posts a warning when there is mature content.
- Notes: A few are AU (such as the one set in Ancient Greece, involving Athenian pederasty) but almost all are within the canonverse. Some are crack, most notably "Bun in the Oven" where everyone thinks there's M-preg involved when there really isn't, and Hilarity Ensues.
- Recommended by: ZeronosVega
- Pairings: Naruto/Ino
- Synopsis: When a young Ino tries to use the Shintenshin for the first time on Naruto, something goes wrong and the two find themselves temporarily stuck in the other's body. A series of moments depicting the evolution of their relationship, from acquaintances to friends to something more, all by crossing that metaphorical line created when a boy and a girl forge a bond.
- Status: Complete.
Man of Dreams
- Recommended by beeruckzII
- Pairings: Gaara/Hinata, Naruto/Hinata
- Synopsis: He is a predator, skillful, ruthless, and twisted. So why is it he cannot kill this one little mouse?
- Comments: This is a very interesting and entertaining read that keeps everyone in character. Keep in mind that this is before Gaara's Heel-Face Turn. Sadly, it appears to be dead since it hasn't been updated since 2009...
Missives in Pink
- Recommended by: Soulseller
- Pairings: Hashirama/Madara, Hashirama/Mito
- Synopsis: Hashirama put his highest hopes, dreams, and delusions into Konoha's creation. One was that, maybe, Madara didn't really hate him. Another was that, maybe, he didn't really love Madara. From Konoha's birth to the First Hokage's death. Onesided HashiMada.
- Notes: Onesided means exactly that. And this is not a het fic.
by syaoran no hime
- Recommended by: Dellanotte
- Pairings: Neji/Tenten
- Synopsis: "The craziest things people do for love start at age seventeen." For instance, Tenten confides to Lee that she likes Neji. Naturally, Hilarity Ensues. Two-shot.
by Ninja Sheik
- Recommended by: beeruckzII
- Pairings: Anko/Orochimaru
- Synopsis: With vengeance on her mind, Anko struggles in a search to hunt down the man who ruined her life, Orochimaru. A new feeling starts to bloom within her as she is now thrust in a dangerous tempest of the darkest desire and passions of the heart.
- Notes: There ARE some sex scenes, so be warned!
- Recommended by: Nikkori17
- Pairings: Sasuke/Naruto
- Synopsis: "His matted, sun bright hair is hard to miss. His tanned skin dirty from sleeping on the ground. Clothes faded and holey. Shoeless. An imperfection, a nobody, in the hot Poland summer heat of 1940. And despite all of this, he gets a perfect, porcelain skinned somebody to fall in love with him." Naruto's a young orphan boy living in war-torn Warsaw, Poland, naive and unaware of what's going on around him. He finds a home with a group of boys and they help each other survive the torments of living in the Warsaw ghetto and evading the "Jackboots", or the Nazi soldiers. All the while, Naruto falls in love with a German boy, Sasuke, but how could he ever love Naruto, a supposedly Filthy Son of Abraham?
Savior of the Blind and Broken
- Recommended by beeruckzII
- Synopsis: "In a different life, in a different time and place, you would be my husband."
- Pairings: Kabuto/Orochimaru
- Comments: The raw beautiful emotion is so amazingly written and believable. If you enjoy this pairing, read this!
Still Life of an Annihilation
- Pairing: Hinata/Kisame
- Recommended by: Robofeather
- Synopsis: Hinata gets captured by Akatsuki. Itachi gives her a drug that blinds her. Her mysterious saviour from the men of Akatsuki is a man named Kisame, whom she cannot see, but begins to trust completely, maybe even more than just trust, maybe....love?
- Notes: Complete. Seems like an odd pairing at first, but the author makes it work extreamly well. Itachi's character can seem a bit questionable, but overall a must-read for anyone looking for an interesting new pairing.
Somewhere I Have Never Travelled Gladly Beyond
- Pairings: Onesided Madara/Deidara
- Recommended by: fsdfsdfsd
- Synopsis: Once, Madara would have given anything to make sure the young artist stayed free forever. But by the end, he just wanted to keep Deidara for himself. And that is how he destroyed the most beautiful thing in the world. Oneshot.
- Notes: Thus far, the only example of this pairing that is neither crack nor smut, and actually done well. Unlike most slash works with Deidara in them, he's kept completely in character- which is why the story has no happy ending. Written before the revelation of Tobi's true identity, but after he claims to be Madara.
- Pairings: Sakura/Deidara
- Synopsis: Naruto had been bragging all day that his new jutsu was his best yet. Sakura and her new situation beg to differ. Post timeskip. DeiSaku.
- Notes: It's a pretty interesting premise, even if it isn't completely original The romance isn't too fast or slow, but progresses rather naturally; nor are the characters ridiculously OOC. Complete.
Truth Unfolds in Wave
- Recommended by: Athena1337
- Synopsis: Set in a diverging timeline where Naruto brought Sasuke back from the Valley of the End - Sasuke is eighteen, Sakura and Naruto seventeen. They're still teammates and a strange kind of friends, though nothing more; Naruto still in love with Sakura, Sakura still in love with Sasuke, Sasuke still trying not to feel too much for either of them, and then due to Kyuubi's influence, here they are, the three of them in bed.
- Pairing(s): Naru/Sasu/Saku. Tons of other characters are seen in here - mostly canon, with a few originals worked in during... well, that would be telling, now wouldn't it?
- Tags: Lemon, once or twice, but there's a heads' up before any of that. Some violence, of course; this is Naruto we're talking about.
When Insanity Calls
- Pairing: Naru/Saku
- Recommended by Very Melon
- Synopsis: Six months before Naruto's return to Konoha, He is placed on a team of familiar faces who is being sent to Wave. Naruto wasn't expecting this mission to escalate to a life changing experience nobody would ever forget. Completed.
Got a Boy in the War
- Pairings: Sasori/Deidara (Main), Sasuke/Naruto, Itachi/Kisame.
- Recommended by: Legendia Advocate
- Synopsis: -AU shonen ai- -Saso/Dei, Kisa/Ita- Dumped in a mental institute, Sasori is befriended by a pyromaniac by the name of Deidara. With the help of Deidara, Sasori struggles to face the past he is so desperately trying to forget.
- Notes: Likely to not be continued. Currently ten chapters. Always in first person point of view with very few exceptions.
The Sun Within Me
- Pairing: Minato/Kushina.
- Recommended by: Tdwally
- Synopsis: Naruto's parents don't so much fall in love as accidentally trip over it.
- Notes: This is an old fic and has some assumptions about how the Kyuubi attack happened that are inaccurate. However, those only appear in the last part of the fic and are minimal enough that they can be more or less ignored without hampering your enjoyment.
- Pairing: Sasuke/Naruto.
- Recommended by: Synonyms.
- Synopsis: They thought the jutsu didn't move them at all, when in fact they ended up in a different dimension. When Konoha is no longer what they're used to, Naruto and Sasuke face their toughest decision yet - go home or stay home.
- Notes: Road to Ninja crossover. Spoiler up to 697. ao3 link here.