Fanfic: Total Drama Raptured
The Total Drama Raptured Cover
made by Rufus T. Serenity and a crossover between Total Drama
The Total Drama Jumbo Jet is forced down over the Atlantic Ocean. Cody, Courtney, Gwen, and Noah get separated from the rest of the remaining contestants. They discover the gateway to something different. The gateway to the impossible. The gateway to…Rapture! The teens will struggle to not just survive but also keep their sanity and deepest beliefs intact in the first "Bioshock"!
There are 15 chapters as of yet and still ongoing.
This fanfiction series contains examples of:
- Alternate Universe Fic: This story take place before Total Drama World Tour episode "I See London", so Gwen and Courtney keep their near "friend-ish" status that was fully shown in that episode (which may grow into a total friendship). Also, on the Bioshock side of things, the four Total Drama contestants have taken the place of the first game's main protagonist Jack.
- Apocalyptic Log: The audio diaries in Rapture, which were meant to show future generations how the glory of Rapture began and developed, now are the voices of ghosts explaining their personal woes, how everything was devolving around them in Rapture, or a mixture of both.
- Body Horror: When Cody takes his first Plasmid (accidentally through the butt no less), we learn just how painful these things are, to the point where Cody feels like he's going to be ripped apart and he tries to kill himself to end the pain.
- Broken Record:
- Various jukeboxes and phonographs blare period music, which often adds a layer of creepiness over what's already pretty creepy. The first splicer encountered is humming the song "If I Didn't Care" as she guts a man alive (giving the title of the song added meaning by her literally "not caring" about the man she just killed). After seeing a Big Daddy for the first time and it violently killing a splicer, the pleasant yet droll tone of "The Party's Over Now" appears.
- The story even addresses this right before the part with "The Party's Over Now": "In keep with a very odd precedent, the city of Rapture itself seemed willing to dose the teenagers in irony laced contrast which chilled them even deeper than they already were."
- Compelling Voice: Noah read from accounts that Andrew Ryan voice which was very compelling, he always thought that it was all nostalgia-laced sentimentally but he found he was wrong and that Andrew Ryan voice did meet the descriptions left down by those in the historical record.
'His voice conveyed a powerful inner conviction, his every word was almost like a lightning rod as it transmitted a mighty burst of electricity in the hearts and minds of all who heard it.'
'His voice and what it stemmed from gave Andrew Ryan an undeniable power that most people could never hope to know or possess.'
'Hearing Mr. Ryan is like listening to a newsreel. I can't say why but it has the same indescribable legitimacy.'
'There was something about him that made you want to open up and speak honestly. If there ever was a God, which I don't think there is, He would have Andrew Ryan's voice.'
- Atlas voice also seem to to have a calming effect on the four contestants.
- Continuity Nod: There are countless little references to aspects and events which had taken place in Total Drama by this point in the series. Two of them are Courtney pointing out to Gwen that their situation (at least initially) like what Chris pulled in the TDI episode "Camp Castaways" and Courtney remembering being "The Human Cricket" when given praise by Cody. There are many more, please feel free to add them here!"
- Deadpan Snarker: Even after seeing a man gutted alive right in-front of him, despite his fear, Noah can't help but fire off a sarcastic quip and even Gwen after receiving a crippling wound, she still can't hold her sarcasm back.
- Did I Just Say That Out Loud?: When Cody was unconscious he heard two splicer saying he just has his cherry POPPED!, so when Cody wake up he says"No! I haven't had my cherry popped!", I fact Word Of God said this was actually the moment that had lead to this story's creation. While watching a video showing the protagonist from Bioshock take his first plasmid, his mind suddenly flashed to the episode of Total Drama World Tour with Cody and his Epi Pen for some reason. I know this is strange but that's what came to mind. After that, the author thought of what if Cody got that Electro Blot plasmid through the butt? Then he thought of what if Cody, in his hazy return to reality, shouted that his cherry hadn't been popped and that prompted Noah to make a sarcastic remark and have him and a few others laugh at Cody before discovering the earthshattering reality of Plasmids when Cody unintentionally kills a splicer with his newfound superpowers? And from there he slowly started to think up the idea of a crossover story between Total Drama and Bioshock, two very different properties that he greatly enjoy.
"No! I haven't had my cherry popped!" Cody says in fear for a reason he couldn't explain.
"Why am I not surprised?" Noah's voice said as Cody finally came to the world of the living. It was then, with everyone staring at him, that Cody realized what he had said.
What brought Cody fully back was the sound of the laughter his remarks had produced. While Noah and Courtney were unable to stop themselves from laughing completely, Gwen at least tried to cover her mouth with her hand, though that made little difference.
It hurt Cody to see that, Gwen, his dream girl, his angel, laughing at him. That combined with his guilt over leaving her and others in the first place as he tried to stand up. He found that he couldn't yet. While his head and arms could move, his legs still couldn't.
"YOU THINK YOUR ALL HOT SHIT, UH!?" A voice from none of them shouted.
Without warning, a crazed splicer charged up behind the three standing teens. He must have been running for some distance because the force of his impact was truly impressive. Courtney and Noah were sent flying and landed hardly on the wall on the room's other side. Gwen had been knocked a few feet to left of the standing splicer.
Cody watched the whole scene with a scale of horror that seemed to increase with every new development. While Courtney and Noah were moving, they were moving slowly. Cody still couldn't move his legs. The splicer was slowly approaching Gwen, who had her leg pinned under a large piece of rubble that fell on her when hitting the sidewall.
Gwen was trying to pull her leg out but she couldn't. Her efforts were more frantic when she saw the massive rusty pipe being held by the approaching splicer.
Reaching out his right hand through instinct alone, Cody shouted, "GWEN! NO!"
With his hand still held out and Cody feeling more emotion than ever before, he felt something; something that had never been described in the books of the surface world.
The rolling heat, the searing energy, came to him as he felt it gather within his hand. Within a space of time less than two seconds, sparks and flashes began to manifest.
Energy writhed in between his fingers as jerky blue lines shot. Electricity arched up, crackling as it did so, before being suddenly released as a flare of bright blue light!
It had happened in an instant and no one could have reacted quickly enough to stop it.
A pealing shriek came from the splicer as an extra-big bolt of blue-white struck him!
While not knowing it, Cody had released everything he could summon in that blast.
The effect this blast had on the splicer's body was dramatic and profoundly unsettling.
The splicer's body went rigid. His teeth sparkled blue, his hair stood up on end, his clothes were lightly set ablaze by small fires from the sudden and intense heat. The eye sockets smoked as they eyeballs made for them had been boiled out of his deformed head. His face contorted into a grotesque mockery of the faces that had died in peace.
The charge burst and the sparks had sent the splicer's body crashing into a wall behind it.
The hissing fat sapphire sparks had blackened the splicer's flesh and the wall behind it.
The once living and wrathful body was now nothing more than a limp, smoldering heap. A sizzling sound and the smell of ozone and burning flesh now blackened filled the air.
Cody's eyes widened so much that they threatened to burst out of his eyes sockets. Everyone else looked at him the same way. Their minds were reeling just like his was.
- Fan Art: Aside from the cover another fan draw a picture here
- After taking his first plasmid, Cody discovers that he has tattoos of black chains on his wrists...DUN-DUN-DUUUUN!
- "Finally! A way off of this beach!" Gwen said, relived that they could finally be done with this endless awkwardness. If only she knew that what was to come would be worse! Much, much worse!
- For some reason that the four couldn't explain, it felt like crossing a type of threshold. It felt like if they stepped through that doorway that they would enter another alien realm, And you know what, despite them not knowing it now, they were all right.
- With his advanced brain still not fully processing this fantastical implication, Noah thought to himself as he always did, sarcastically, 'Ah, yes, Incinerate! Becoming a walking fire hazard so I can give my beloved lung cancer. My life is sooo complete.' Of course, the irony of these words wouldn't dawn on Noah until he became just that.
- Friendship Moment: Despite none of the four teenagers being technically actual and acknowledged friends according to the canon of Total Drama World Tour, the horrors of Rapture have lead to many moments that seem to be establishing strong bonds. Gwen saving both Courtney's and Cody's lives before they even get to Rapture, Gwen and Cody saving the other from a splicer and hugging each other after each kills their first splicer, Courtney saving Noah from a attacking splicer, and Noah helping Courtney avoid slipping into a nervous breakdown are among the first what will likely be many such friendship moments even if those doing them aren't technically friends.
- Innocent Innuendo: "I haven't had my cherry popped!"
- Knight in Sour Armor: Despite hating the idea, Noah helps Courtney avoid slipping into a nervous breakdown after she saves his life by killing a splicer for the first time.
- Mood Whiplash: The story often goes from a dark mood to a cheerful one all of sudden, and viceversa (though vice versa happens more often): "Oh look, Cody and Noah are asleep on each other arms, that's so funny! Oh look, Noah just woke up and his reaction made the moment even more hilarious! Oh look, Cody doesn't breathe..."
- Precision F-Strike: After Courtney sees Cody using Electrobolt for the first time, her reaction is a loud "What the fuck was that!?"
- The Reveal: I chose the impossible... I chose...Rapture!" Building up the tension to the reveal, even after the projector screen moves obscuring the city is lowered, a giant squid and its black ink delay the reveal. Once Rapture is revealed, much of the remaining chapter is devoted to the details of Rapture from the outside and the teen's sense of awe.
- Shock and Awe: All of them have the Electrobolt plasmid, the first and only one they have.
- Shout Out: This story already has references to examples of many different mediums of entertainment ranging from novels to poems to films to history to video games (duh). The most meaningful in terms of the narrative are Noah's describing his situation by quoting the poems "To A Mouse" and "The City Under the Sea" and Gwen comparing the Little Sisters' mental conditioning to Dr. Pavlov's dog experiments. Again, trust me, there's much richer earth to till here...so please start tilling already!"
- Soiled City on a Hill: While meant to be the salvation of mankind, Rapture has devolved thanks to the relentless advances in altering human genetics and the civil war between Andrew Ryan and Atlas into a art-deco tomb under the ocean in which most of those still alive are insane splicers.