Fanfic: The Comedy Of Hamlet
Exactly What It Says on the Tin
. William Shakespeare
rewritten as a comedy, the second in a series of genre-flipped William Shakespeare
plays by Shrikecatcher
Can be read here
- Affably Evil: Claudius.
- Alas, Poor Yorick
- Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking:
Since we were cops, we already knew all the most horrible things that went down in Miami, like drug deals, murders, and the elderly moving in from up north.
- The Beautiful Elite: Everyone in Miami is sexy.
- Bloody Hilarious
- Butt Monkey: Hamlet.
- Captain Obvious: Horatio puts it best in his narration:
We all called [Polonius] Captain Obvious
, because that was his last name and it's only polite to address him in such a manner.
- Cool Car: Horatio drives a mother-effin' Humvee.
- Cool Shades: Horatio.
- Country Matters
- Donut Mess with a Cop: The opening scene takes place at a Doughnut King.
- Emo Teen: Hamlet.
- Engaging Conversation: A Running Gag.
- Epic Fail: Invoked by Polonius when his servant Reynaldo fails a pop quiz:
Polonius: "I will take a snapshot of this moment, upload it to the Internet and label it epic!"
Reynaldo: "No, my lord, anything but that!"
- Even the Guys Want Him: Laertes.
- Everything's Better with Monkeys: One of Claudius's subjects, Cornelius, is a talking chimpanzee.
- Evil Uncle: Claudius, who is totally not a Nazi.
- First-Person Smartass: Horatio Caine, our narrator.
- Food As Bribe: Horatio mentions in his narration that doughnuts are just as popular as illegal drugs by smugglers for their use in making many a Dirty Cop.
- Get Thee to a Nunnery
- Glasses Pull: Come on, this is Horatio Caine we're talking about. It only happens every other line of dialogue when he's around.
- Good Night, Sweet Prince
- Hot for Teacher: Beginning of Act I, Scene iii:
"But Horatio," you might be saying to yourself because I'm fictional you idiot, "this is Hamlet
, the Magnum Opus
of English literature, and Mr. Jacobs wouldn't like you talking about the Bard's
greatest work in such a manner. Mmm
- Hoist by His Own Petard
- Hurricane Of Aphorisms: Polonius.
- Kill 'em All: Even Horatio.
- Kill Him Already
- Miami: The logical setting to relocate this classic tragedy.
- Mr. Fanservice: Laertes, complete with lots of Ho Yay.
- Ms. Fanservice: Ophelia.
...since she's the only attractive young female in the cast, I think it's safe to say all we really care about is the skin she was showing.
- Oedipus Complex: Hamlet and Gertrude.
- Only in Florida
- Overly-Long Gag: As mentioned above, Horatio's Glasses Pull.
- Pool Scene: Ophelia's introduction in Act I, Scene iii.
- Rapid-Fire Comedy
- Reference Overdosed: Oh yes.
Ghost: "I am thy father's spirit—"
- Rule of Funny
- Running Gag:
- Setting Update: To present-day Miami.
- Sibling Rivalry: Laertes and Ophelia have a particularly violent one.
- Straight Edge Evil: Claudius. He may be a genocidal maniac, but he won't abide by smoking.
- Take That: Fifty Shades of Grey gets an extended one in Act II, Scene ii, when Hamlet reveals that he's reading it. This simple fact alone causes Claudius to pull the fire alarm.
Polonius: "My god, you are insane."
- After Hamlet explains the plot of the book to Polonius:
"Though this be madness," Polonius remarked quietly to himself on how E.L. James must have been seen by her friends, "yet there is method in 't," for one cannot deny that it got her work onto the New York Times
bestseller list, bitches
- After some firefighters try and fail to destroy the book with their ax:
"Someone's gonna have to call the HAZMAT guys."
Polonius: (regarding Hamlet's book being torn apart): "You don't seem all that choked up about this."
Hamlet: "I've got another copy on my Kindle."
Firefighter: "You monster!"
- The Ophelia: Guess who.
- Those Two Guys: Rosencrantz and Guildenstern.
- Those Wacky Nazis: Claudius's henchmen.
- Unfortunate Names: Claudius's subject, Voltemand, who is always being mistaken for Voldemort and thus can never get season tickets for the Heat.
- Waxing Lyrical: Hamlet can have whatever he likes.
- You Killed My Father