Fanfic / God Of Death
Not to be confused with Death Gods.The God of Death
is a Warhammer 40,000
crossover fic made by Tyrant Of the East.
The story focuses on Avarian,
A Space Marine
that is thrust into the World Of Warcraft
by an Eldar Farseer, who tells him that he has to help the inhabitants of Azeroth fight off the powers of Chaos and the Scourge, or else, The Imperium of Man will be destroyed.
The fic is (currently) about 46 chapters long. And there are awesome moments, ass-kicking battles,
And girls that want him.
Also, the author is planning to make a sequel to this. Make of that as you will.
This fan-fiction provides examples of:
- Abnormal Ammo: The Scarlet Guardsmen find better ammunition to kill undead with, among them broken glass and scraps.
- Action Girl: Keina, Varessa, and the rest.
- The Atoner: Malicia. Avarian as well, for the deaths of his fellow squad mates. They manage to come back anyway as ghosts, though. Whether that is due to the Emperor's Will or they are simply being manipulated by the Power of Chaos remains o be seen.
- Authority Equals Asskicking: Avarian was a Brother-Sergeant in his Chapter' First Company.
- Axe-Crazy: Azechral is always instinctively licking the inside of his helmet when blood splashes against it. Khorne is pleased.
- Badass Army: The Scarlet
- Badass Bookworm: Azechral again. Just look at his complete and effortless curbstomp of 4 Alliance heroes.
- Badass Grandpa: Avarian is 100 years old. Yet is rather well kept compared to other such Space Marines.
- Badass Preacher: Avarian, if his account of the Horus Heresy is anything to go by.
- BFS: Avarian's chainsword is described as this.
- Big Bad: Azechral the Chaos Sorcerer, not even Avarian can possibly stand against that alone.
- Bishounen: Avarian is depicted as this.
- Though he's apparently described as the rugged sort of Bishounen, rather than the girly kind.
- Blood Knight: Avarian. And also the Scarlet Guard TERMINATORS.
- Boring Invincible Hero: Avarian again. Though possibly only because he hasn't met the Chaos Space Marines present, nor the higher-ups of the Scourge.
- In fairness to the story, Avarian comes perilously close to death once when he fights the Chaos Spawn (AAAAAGHHHHFGSFDS) in Blackfathom Deeps and is only saved by the intervention of his elven friends and everyone else in that place. And even then he is visibly strained from that victory. A similar level of difficulty is faced when he fights the Abomination, but that's more one sided to his favour anyway.
- Broke Your Arm Punching A Space Marine: Keina does this literally to Avarian before she gives him a fiery speech on his xeno-hating ways. This causes Avarian to begin to respect her guts.
- Chainsaw Good: Duh.
- Chaste Hero: Avarian is this. He is only focused on his mission.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Varessa.
- Cool Car: The Land Speeder.
- Cool Pet: Aku'Mai was a Chaos Spawn. Who knew!
- The Corrupter: Azechral to Varian. In a magnificent way.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Anything that gets into a fight with Avarian is already dead and too stupid to realize it. Azechral too, but he's much cooler at it.
- The fic itself takes great strides on showing how overly idealistic, comic book grade logic in Warcraft which always seems to carry the day would be curb-stomped in a setting as bleak and horrific as Warhammer. Not to mention the sheer disparity of killing power between Warcraft and Warhammer.
- Dark Action Girl: Cyndia.
- Darker and Edgier: Bringing a Space Marine to an idealistic world like Warcraft is bound to end up like this.
- Dark Is Evil: Everyone else. Avarian also counts to an extent.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Some of the Forsaken.
- Deadpan Snarker: Avarian. Varessa, to an extent.
- Did You Just Punch Out Cthulhu?: Avarian kills Sylvanas's Dragon, blows up a large sea monster, and is now facing an army of undead which he'll most likely survive from its wrath.
- Doomed Imperium: This is what will happen if Chaos manages to reach Saregas. Or at least, that's what the Farseer told him. Since this is the Eldar, it could be anything.
- Dynamic Entry: Done twice. Once in Darnassus, and again in the meeting room in Theramore.
- Easy Evangelism: Whitmane and some of the more fanatic Scarlet Crusaders are quick to join the Imperial Cult at the word of their "Iron Angel", but many others are not quite as convinced and some even express anger and incredulity at this.
- Possibly due to the fact that to the Monestary's crusaders, he's a promised saviour. Also, as evidence shows that the Holy Light is a mutation of the Imperial Creed.
- Enemy To All Undead and Demonic Things: Avarian.
- Even Space Marines Have Standards: Avarian is outraged by the Scarlet Crusade's torturing of the undead.
- Fantastic Racism: Avarian is gulity of this. He constantly calls the non-human races xenos, and the humans that ally with them heretics or traitors. Of course, this is Warhammer we're talking about...
- Also, Commissar Whitemane and the former Scarlet Crusade.
- The Eldar Ranger that was observing Avarian hold the Night and High Elves in disdain.
- Four-Star Badass: Avarian has much more than a mere rudimentary grasp of battlefield tactics and military strategy, which is more than can be said for the majority of official Warcraft characters.
- Genki Girl: Eva.
- Grumpy Bear: Avarian, let's recap. He's a grim, brutal, fascistic, zealous, extremist, fundamentalist post human Super Soldier war-incarnate who will not stop until all the enemies of Mankind are completely destroyed. And he's been transplanted into a fantasy setting of shining knights, smiling 3 foot tall inventing midgets, proud noble cow people, and undead who constantly make decomposition jokes that has all the moral and ethical complexity of a Disney movie.
- Half-Human Hybrid: Half-elves. There's one in Chapter 40.
- Heroic Albino: Avarian, due to his Chapter's gene-seed issues, which comes from being a son of Corax.
- Heroic B.S.O.D.: Avarian suffers from this after he saves Warchief Thrall from Varian's wrath.
- Heroic Resolve: Invoked in Chapter 43.
- Hollywood Tactics: The Scarlet Crusade tends to rely on this a lot, and Avarian thinks this is the reason they tend to die against odds which even backwater Guardsmen and PDF could win. Yeah, the PDF. The redshirt army for the redshirt army.
- Hot-Blooded: Some of the Horde and Alliance members. Avarian has his moments.
- Jerk Ass: Avarian in spades. Character Development is oh so slowly turning him into a Jerk with a Heart of Gold, but he still has a long way to go before he becomes a straight example.
- To be fair, the author notes that it takes a long time to conquer a (fairly long) lifetime of extensive propaganda and psycho-conditioning.
- If Avarian's opinions on what the common Imperial citizen has to go through is any indication, he's probably one of the most softhearted Marines in the Imperium. His hatred towards everything on Azeroth is understandable given that it flies in everything that he (for very, very good reasons) believes.
- Leeroy Jenkins: Garrosh, who got knocked out instantaneously when he tried to attack Avarian. There's also that Kor'kron Guard orc that joined Avarian's group, but he pulls this off with more success.
- Light Is Not Good: The Scarlet Crusade are still racist,
undead-hating bastards everyone-who's-not-them hating bastards but Avarian is slowly teaching them otherwise.
- Magnetic Hero: Avarian.
- Manipulative Bitch: Farseer Yrlith. Also, Sylvanas.
- Mind Rape: Attempted by a Word Bearer on King Varian. It didn't work. Though it has been stated that Varian will accept the Glory of Chaos eventually.
- More Dakka: Obviously.
- Not So Stoic: Avarian weeps tears when Yrlith shows him visions of a destroyed Imperium.
- Oblivious to Love: When a woman makes a blatant pass at Avarian, he's clueless. He assumes from the the glares of his female companions that she has insulted his honor somehow, and considers killing her.
- Oh, Crap!: The reactions of many enemies to Avarian. Also what Sylvanas was essentially thinking when her apothecary's poison didn't work on Avarian.
- Only Sane Man: In Avarian's POV.
- Physical God: The night elf denizens see him as this, while the rest of the races see him as a living weapon of mass destruction.
- Plot Tumor: The story has been lingering on the Scarlet Crusade thing for some time now. What happened to the keeping the Alliance and the Horde together part of his quest?
- Maybe it's the fact that they share the same racist views with Avarian?
- So does Varian Wrynn, but that didn't stop Avarian from saving Thrall's life because it was needed.
- No he doesn't. Varian consorts with xenos and isn't that religious enough to be susceptible to Avarian's preaching. As the Holy Light is portrayed as an off-shoot of the Imperial Creed in this fic.
- Powered Armor: Other than the obvious, the Scarlet Crusade experimented with enchanting armors on some of their knights, and Avarian dubs them Terminators.
- Purple Prose: A lot of it. The writer's college-educated so it's actually pretty fucking good.
- To be fair, it's from Avarian's POV sections. And as a fanatical warrior, he would describe ceramite and bolters and humanity with words like 'blessed' and so forth. Whereas, with daemons, xenos and such, he'd be less charitable in his descriptions.
- Racist Giant: Avarian.
- Religious Bruiser: Avarian so Khorne-damned much.
- Rousing Speech: Avarian is good at this.
- Rule of Cool: You gotta admit, Avarian knows how to kick the ass of everything in Azeroth.
- Screw You Human: Avarian's "I'm human therefore I'm superior" complex wears on everyone around him until Keina finally snaps and gives him what-for. The orcs, with the exception of Garrosh, just ignore his racism and just stick to being orcs.
- Well, not until he starts to address them directly. Then they get defensive and drone on about their whole culture to him while citing irrelevant things like 'felbloods' and 'the Legion'. Of course, what makes this hilarious is that Avarian hasn't noodled it through yet that the Orkz he's talking about, them gloriously awesome cockney fungal barbarians, aren't the same thing as Warcraft's green Klingon rip-offs. Ergo, Avarian is left confused and angry at the so called Greenskin's story and the Orcs simultaneously have no idea what he's talking about even as they try to justify themselves. Ergo, everyone ends up angry and confused. Some people see this as a hilarious example of the thematic disparities between the settings; the interaction between Warhammer's gritty cynicism and Warcraft's comic book idealism. Which in many ways could be considered the main point of the fic itself.
- Shrinking Violet: Malicia.
- Space Marine: Guess who.
- Tsundere: Keina is a Type B.
- Unwanted Harem: Most men in Avarian's position would kill to have a harem like his.
- UST: Oh, so much.
- Villainous Breakdown: Sylvanas is pissed when her plan to have Avarian serve her fails.
- You Have Out Lived Your Usefulness: Subverted. Avarian hasn't killed off Varessa nor Keina, but he threatens to do this to Malicia and in fact, she's asking for it.
- Zerg Rush: Chapter 43