Fanfic / Chasing Yesterday
is a Naruto Fan Fic
by The King in WhiteSynopsis
: Takes place in an AU in which Naruto was born a girl. Most of the events of canon played out as canon until the time of the Fourth Shinobi World War. In the aftermath of the war, Naruto is dead, Sasuke is the Juubi jinchuriki, and is the Rokudaime Hokage. He has pretty much lost everything that was ever important to him, and at this point is barely clinging on to his sanity by a thread, driven forward only by a promise to Naruto on her deathbed.
Due to his actions during the time when he was evil, most of the Konoha 11 and newest generation of Konoha shinobi hate him. In the midst of this, the Juubi offers Sasuke a deal: Sasuke gets to go back in time far enough to save Naruto, and the Juubi has a new chance for freedom.
This fic contains examples of the following tropes:
- Butt-Monkey: Suigetsu.
- Crazy Jealous Guy: Sasuke is showing a lot of potential to become one.
- Naruto is showing a lot of potential as well.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Sasuke kills Orochimaru by the end of the second chapter, and he himself lampshades how simple it was.
- And then it's subverted with Kabuto who is revealed to have replaced himself with a random Mook of Orochimaru's before Sasuke could kill him.
- Deal with the Devil: Sasuke's bargain with the Juubi.
- Deadpan Snarker: Sasuke, emphasis on the snarker part.
- Meanwhile Itachi plays the deadpan counterpart perfectly.
- Destroy the Evidence: Subverted. The assassination.
- Dirty Old Man: Jiraiya.
- Disproportionate Retribution: "If anyone else tries to hurt Naruto, I'll slaughter everyone they ever cared about."
- Double Meaning: Sasuke considers his failures at the Monument while tracing the names of Naruto and Itachi which could mean Itachi the brother or Itachi the son.
- Dramatic Thunder: Sasuke's entrance in the middle of the announcement about Uchiha clan.
- Fake Memories: Danzo does this to his Moku Bunshin in order to be declared innocent at his trial.
- False Flag Operation: Danzo's plot to pretend to assassinate Sasuke.
- Flash Back: Several about events that followed the Point of Divergence.
- Footsie Under the Table: Sasuke and Naruto in chapter 14.
- Forceful Kiss: Sasuke to Naruto in chapter 11.
- The Gadfly: Itachi's attitude definitely comes off as this quite often. It is absolutely hilarious.
- Gender Flip: Naruto is born a girl.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Sasuke attempted to pull this off for Taka.
- Hope Is Scary: Naruto's prospect on acceptance.
- I Did What I Had to Do: Itachi and the Uchiha Clan Massacre.
- If I Can't Have You...: "I hope that you haven't found yourself a boyfriend in the time I was away. I will kill him if you have."
- I Need a Freaking Drink: Tsunade. All the time.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: Karin somewhat did this to Sasuke.
- Actually, its less a matter of this trope and more a matter of her concluding that there is absolutely no way that Sasuke will fall in love with her, and that even if he did, she is completely incapable of dealing with his emotional problems. As such, she begins shipping her "little cousin" (Naruto) with Sasuke.
- Knight Templar: "And if Naruto has any political enemies, I will personally destroy them. If anyone else tries to hurt Naruto, I'll slaughter everyone they ever cared about."
- "We have a responsibility to our future generations! To be a shinobi is to sacrifice oneself. Closing your eyes to the sunlight, distinguishing yourself in the shadows. That is the true form of ninja!"
- Large Ham: Uchiha brothers, especially Sasuke. YET LEE SURPASSES THEM.
- Kinda lampshaded hilariously when a waiter cries out: "Did somebody order a large ham?" in Chapter 15 as a perfect segue between Itachi's hilarious deadpan to the large ham master himself, Lee. The fact that the comment was made about actual ham that Lee ordered makes it especially hilarious.
- Living Emotional Crutch: Naruto to Sasuke. Lampshaded by Shikamaru in Chapter 15.
- Love Makes You Crazy: Sasuke.
- Manipulative Bastard: Sasuke. Manipulating the whole courtroom during his trial? Piece of cake.
- In a lesser level, Karin is also one.
- Moment Killer: Kakashi to Naruto and Sasuke in chapter 16
- Morality Chain: Naruto to Sasuke, being literally the only reason why he is on the side of Konoha.
- Murder Is the Best Solution: Most of the time it's the decision Sasuke came up with. At least, until he fought against and got caught by Konoha, then he has to play differently and becomes a Magnificent Bastard.
- My Name Is Inigo Montoya: "Allow me to introduce myself, Sharingan no Kakashi. I am Akasuna no Sasori. Your father murdered my parents. Allow me to show you, my art."
- My Sensors Indicate You Want to Tap That: Juugo and Sasuke for Suigetsu/Karin. And now Itachi as well.
- And now Karin for Sasuke/Naruto, but then again this one is obvious except to Sakura.
- By chapter 16, Sakura finally realized this and backed off.
- Official Couple: The Author has explicitly stated in the author note prior to the story that the pairing is Sasuke/Fem!Naruto.
- Oh, Crap!: Tsunade's reaction when Naruto barged into the courtroom.
- Also, Homura and Koharu's reaction to Sasuke dropping the ball about the Uchiha clan massacre in the middle of the courtroom. Danzo appears to have had a similar reaction, but also seems to have managed to keep it in.
- Pay Evil unto Evil: Sasuke ruthlessly tortures Orochimaru with Tsukuyomi before he incinerates him with Amaterasu.
- Peggy Sue: Sasuke, the Juubi, and the nine other bijuu.
- Chapter 16 reveals that both B and Yugito have had their memories of the future restored by Gyuki and Matatabi respectively. And neither of them knows that the other or Sasuke, is a Peggy Sue.
- Piggyback Cute: Sasuke and Naruto in chapter 13.
- Please, I Will Do Anything!: "Yes! Anything! Just don't you die on me dobe!"
- Point of Divergence : Sasuke and Itachi's battle against Kabuto in manga chapter 578.
- Police State: The Hidden Villages, though Konoha is nicer than most.
- Power at a Price: The Eternal Mangekyo Sharingan. This is the reason why Sasuke kept his Eternal Mangekyo despite his jump back in time, because it is tied to his soul.
- Red String of Fate: Quite literally is seen by Sasuke's disembodied soul when he comes to the past, connecting him to Naruto.
- Silly Rabbit, Idealism Is for Kids!: Why Sasuke refuses to involve Naruto and Sakura in politics At least at the beginning.
- Single-Target Sexuality: Sasuke is Naruto-Sexual.
- Shipper on Deck: Juugo and Sasuke ship Suigetsu/Karin. And now Itachi has joined in on it too.
- Karin ships Sasuke/Naruto.
- Slap-Slap-Kiss: Sasuke/Fem!Naruto and possibly Suigetsu/Karin.
- Squee!: Karin does this quite often when it involves Sasuke's love life.
- Sweet Tooth: Surprisingly, Itachi.
Sasuke snorted. "That's just ignorant fear. You've been legally vindicated. Technically you could walk down the streets of Konoha and hit up the candy store." Pausing, the Uchiha noticed the sudden gleam in Itachi's eyes. "Not that I'd advise it, no matter how big your sweet tooth is."
"Life is unfortunate."
- The Atoner: Sasuke prior to going back in time.
- The Matchmaker: Karin.
- The Promise: Naruto has Sasuke promise her that he would Protect Konoha.
- In a lighter case, Itachi promised himself he would spoil Sasuke's children rotten in chapter 16.
- The Reveal: Sasuke pulls off an in-universe one during his trial when he reveals the truth of the massacre.
- Think of the Children!: "Shimura Danzo! I name you child-slayer and desecrator."
- Time Travel
- Tsundere: Team Taka, with the exception of Juugo.
- Unresolved Sexual Tension: Suigetsu and Karin, or so Sasuke said. Never mind that he is having a somewhat similar problem.
- Violence Is the Only Option: Team Seven was willing to let Sasori walk away, but Suna interfered and led to a fight.
- Violently Protective Girlfriend: Naruto has the sign of developing this.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Sasuke to Itachi in chapter 12.
"I do what I must." The man declared resolutely.
Sasuke's voice was bitter, and his eyes narrowed. "What you must?" he hissed. "What you did was idiotic. There were so many things you could have done differently. But you were always one to follow orders."
- Yandere: See Crazy Jealous Guy above.