A My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
fan fiction by Daemon of Decay.
When Twilight Sparkle slipped beneath the covers last night everything had been fine. She had friends whom she loved, a teacher she adored, and a bright future ahead of her. But when she woke up, her blankets and quilts had been replaced by hospital gowns and padded restraints. Everything is wrong and nothing makes sense; even her friends have changed. The doctors, they keep telling her she is sick, that none of it was real and it was all in her head. But they’re lying. She remembers a life far beyond the hospital walls. She couldn't have made it all up on her own. They must be lying… right?
Read it here.
This fanfic contains examples of:
- All Just a Dream: According to the doctors of Broadhoof Memorial, most of Twilight's life has been this.
- In chapter 8, Twilight has woken up back in her library, and assumes that the hospital was just a bad dream. But someone comes to try and prove her wrong...
- Alternate Universe: Where (seemingly) a majority of Asylum takes place.
- Cuckoo Nest: Twilight is in a psychiatric hospital and is told she is crazy. However, she doesn't believe them.
- Every Scar Has A Story: Pinkie Pie has a nasty one on her cutie mark. She got it after accidentally starting a house fire when trying to make a cake for her first party after seeing the Sonic Rainboom; her father barely got her (and the rest of the family) out safely, and she developed an intense fear of hurting other ponies when she attempts to make them happier.
- Hope Spot: Twilight would sometimes get a sense of comfort from elements of the world she woke up in are more familiar to her world before it hits her with a cold reminder that she isn't in her world anymore. One example is when she sees Pinkie Pie the first time (since she first woke up in the hospital) and is relieved that she is the same pony (sans her now always straight hair) she knew from Ponyville. The one difference that killed it was a massive scar covering Pinkie's cutie mark.
- Chapter 12 ends with Twilight hearing Princess Celestia's voice in the bathroom.
- Insane Equals Violent: As seen in Chapter 6, Rainbow Dash is a good example of this, shown to be throwing soup in Dr. Applejack's face, and then attacking her for pretty much no reason.
- Ontological Mystery: In a way.
- Whole Episode Back Story: Most of chapter 3 has Applejack explain how she became a doctor and became Twilight's friend in this world.
- You Wake Up in a Room: The way the fic starts. Also, while Twilight retains all memory of her life as Celestia's student, any memory of having been living in an asylum for (presumably) a decade is completely nonexistent.