Fan Fic: Bittersweet
"Diabetes is a terrible thing."A rather infamous My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic fanfic where Pinkie Pie dies of diabetes. The story revolves around everyone's reactions to her death, as each of her friends handle the loss differently. Unfortunately, they aren't left to their grieving; a new crisis threatens another one of their friends... but can they face it without Pinkie Pie?Can be found here.
Tropes that star in this story:
- Alternate Ending: Much like another infamous Pinkie Pie Dark Fic, has one where the events of the main story are All Just a Dream... though Pinkie still has diabetes, and simply chooses to live with it rather than leave her friends behind.
- Artistic License – Biology: Diabetes. The commentary for Rainbow Dash Presents notes that a diabetic trying to sugar herself to death would take hours or even days and would be a horrific way to go.
- Big Damn Heroes: In the final chapter, twice.
- Bittersweet Ending: Fittingly, considering the title, as Rarity's plan to revive Pinkie fails, yet her spirit is able to give her friends the closure they needed before departing.
- Bookends: The first and final chapters contain the line "Where do you think we are?"
- Dark Reprise: In the penultimate chapter, "Giggle at the Ghosties" is reprised to send Pinkie to her final rest.
- Deconstruction Fic
- Driven to Suicide: Pinkie decides she can't make the changes required to live with diabetes and gives herself one final binge on sweets.
- Even Jerks Have Standards: Gilda doesn't quite like the fact that Rainbow Dash left Ponyville after Pinkie's death.
- It's All My Fault: Rainbow Dash blames herself for Pinkie's death.
- It's What I Do: Pinkie Pie's explanation for her choice in the first chapter.
- Pre Ass Kicking One Liner: "Did somepony order a PARTY?!"
- Revised Ending: An alternate ending was posted after the epilogue where it was All Just a Dream...except Pinkie having diabetes, but she doesn't die from it, at least.
- Sanity Slippage: While her friends react to losing Pinkie in various ways, poor Rarity goes into outright denial, to the point of seeking a spell to bring her back from the dead.
- She Didn't Make It: Unwilling to explain to his little sister about death, Big Mac tells her that Pinkie's "on vacation". When she finds out, she's not happy.
- Side Story: Apple Blossom revolves around Apple Bloom's reaction to learning Big Mac lied to her about Pinkie's death.
- Shout-Out: The first chapter heavily draws from the Scrubs episode "My Screw Up", including the line "Where do you think we are?"
- Sweet Tooth: Deconstructed.
- What the Hell, Hero?: After learning about Pinkie's death, Gilda calls out Rainbow Dash for running away from her problems and turning her back on the others right when they need her the most.