A Small Crime
is a Fan Fic
novel created by Katy-Kale
based on the Shrek the Third
movie. The character Arthur 'Artie' Pendragon is made one of the main characters, who in the original works was the Ensemble Darkhorse
rather than The Hero
The story is set in an Alternate Shrek Universe
, where (instead of Shrek, who is never mentioned in the story) the main character is a teenage girl named Kit. The story contains enough canon
to make it fit into Shrek's world, yet at the same time changes the scenes enough to make it new and interesting for the reader.
The fanfic can be read here: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5097340/1/A_Small_Crime
Tropes in this story:
- Art Evolution: The writer said that originally, Kit had long-ish blond hair (instead of short black hair), had blue eyes, and that she wore red armor (instead of wearing a grayish-black outfit), but then realized that she looked too much like Artie. The red armor was switched for a shirt to make Kit less impenetrable. It was even said that Kit originally had red dragon-like wings.
- Badass Family: Siv is the leader of an assassin's guild (or at least in very high authority). Her little sister, Kit, is one of her best-trained members.
- Bodyguard Crush: Kit, after she promises herself to protect Artie.
- The Chessmaster: Siv. It was said that she has a notebook cointaining all the secrets of Far Far Away, including maps of the sewage system, and every single person's family tree.
- Chekhov's Gun: Kit's hat and Siv's headband.
- Everyone Can See It: At least Puss and Donkey can see it anyway.
- Expy: Siv's look was inspired by Envy from Fullmetal Alchemist.
- Fatal Attractor: Artie. The first girl he loved thinks that he's a loser. The second girl he loved is supposed to kill him.
- The Guards Must Be Crazy: A group a guards who are stumbling in the dark mistake Puss and Donkey for an werecat.
- Improbable Aiming Skills: Kit can throw a card in the air and then shoot it (with her crossbow) right in the middle before it even hits.
- Love Makes You Dumb: It takes a while for Artie to realize Kit's deep dark secrets, despite all the clues that he was given.
- Masquerade: Siv and Kit both have to wear a hat/headband to... blend in with the crowd.
- Meaningful Name:
- The writer said that Kit was named after a beautifully-crafted crossbow that she saw in an antique shop with the same name.
- Plus, kitsune (foxes) also have naturally golden eyes.
- Noodle Incident: Donkey and the 'Dreaded and Infamous Potion Factory Incident'. Subverted since it is explained what happened afterwards.
- No Name Given:
- Kit and Siv's last name are never mentioned.
- And earlier, Siv is only named as the Stranger.
- Original Character: Siv and Kit, who never appeared in the original Shrek movies.
- Professional Killers: Both Siv and Kit are part of an assassin's guild.
- Rage Against the Mentor: Artie does this to Kit when she's trying to teach him how to joust.
- Sleep Cute: Only for Artie. When Kit was watching Artie sleeping, she described him as the most handsome boy ever to have lived.
- Super Speed: Siv and Kit seem to have unnaturally quick reflexes.
- Super Strength: Kit seems to be stronger than the average kid her age.
- Technicolor Eyes: Siv has orange eyes, while Kit has yellow eyes.
- What Beautiful Eyes: Kit's eyes are a golden yellow color. But there's a reason that explains that.
- You Never Asked: Siv seemed to have neglected to tell Kit about their amazing healing abilities.