Darth Wiki / The Crew
is a Shadowrun
fanfic written by Not-So-Badass Longcoat
and set in Los Angeles of the 2070s. The titular crew consists of ork
" Seriously Mike, no-nonsense Russian ex-commando Kestrel
, yojimbo adept
Nicks, Iraqi Classy Cat-Burglar
Leila and Wrench Wench
Lex. Assembled by a mysterious client, The Crew ends up in the middle of a conspiracy and turns the tables on their employer.
The beginning can be read here
- Action Girl: all three, Kestrel, Leila and Lex. In three different flavors.
- Actually Not a Vampire: Lex. See below.
- Artificial Limbs: Kestrel has cybernetic arms similar to those of Adam Jensen, Leila has cybernetic hands.
- Author Avatar: Mike. He is also the narrator.
- Badass Crew: they're The Crew.
- Badass in a Nice Suit: Kestrel and Nicks.
- Beauty Is Never Tarnished: Kestrel has burn scars all over her body, but not the face. Justified Trope, as the doctors rebuilding her decided that at least her face needs to look normal.
- Berserk Button: for Mike, it's racism. And a lot of minor others.
"You say the H-word, and I break out heavy artillery."
- Blade Below the Shoulder: Kestrel has two of those.
- Catch-Phrase: "Seriously."
- Cool Shades / Goggles Do Something Unusual: everyone but Kestrel. She has Electronic Eyes instead.
- Covered with Scars: Kestrel, the only survivor of a combined missile barrage and napalm strike.
- Dare to Be Badass: Mike. Spent three years working in IT support for the Department of Motor Vehicles. Minored In Asskicking.
- Do Not Call Me "Paul": Mike.
Mr White: Good morning, Mr Jo...
Mike: Finley. The name’s Michael Finley, and you best write it down, cholo. Seriously.
- Eerie Pale-Skinned Brunette: Lex. She's a Heroic Albino with a dye job, which explains her Cool Shades and dislike for going out in daylight.
- Electronic Eyes: Kestrel. Rest of the team prefers Cool Shades.
- Expy: Kestrel, Nicks and Lex.
- Fake Nationality: Leila is Iraqi, but pretends to be Latino-Pueblo. Nicks is Japanese, but pretends to be Korean. Mike is Croatian, but pretends to be Californian.
- Five-Man Band: Subverted.
- Gratuitous Russian: when Mike is planning how to approach Kestrel, he mentions a few basic Russian words like "hello", "thank you" and "goodbye", and then drops a phrase meaning "blow shit up for big money".
- Gratuitous Spanish: Mike often uses Spanish slang words and expletives like "cholo" and "pendejo".
- Hidden Depths: Kestrel admits she dropped out of college to join the Army.
- Katanas Are Just Better: Nicks' magical katana, the Phoenix Feather.
- The Lad-ette: Lex.
- The Musketeer: Nicks. Usually, pistols are enough, but in some cases, Katanas Are Just Better, especially when they're powerful magical artifacts.
- Mysterious Employer: Mr White.
- Playful Hacker: Mike.
- The Squadette: Kestrel is a former one. What's worth noting is the fact that she was the squad leader.
- Surprisingly Good English: Kestrel and Mike. Mike also surprises Kestrel with his Russian.
- Theme Naming: the aliases provided by Mr White. Surnames Demrikov, Vetaura and Torivos, and first name Heleyne come from Guild Wars. Other teams also have themed aliases.
- We Can Rebuild Her: Kestrel.
- Whip It Good: Leila's weapon of choice is a monofilament whip.