is a mangaka best known for his works Love Hina
and Mahou Sensei Negima!
He's also known for his full espousement of the moe
aesthetic and loads of cute girls following the lead
, and enormous size of cast
. While he did do earlier doujin work, try not to be confused with his assistant MAGI - who did several doujins under the circle name of Culittle - which are sometimes confused with Ken Akamatsu. As of late, though, he seems to be breaking out of this mold, as his latest series
seems to contain far
less of these elements.
Has a hot wife who cosplays
, which some of his lead female characters (prominently, Naru
) are apparently inspired by.
More recently, he's been working on the J-Comi
project, working to make currently out-of-print manga available online at no charge, as well as finding ways to allow mangakas to actually make money off of fan translations, again at no cost to the reader.
He's also created a new series, UQ Holder
which seems to be a Stealth Sequel
, picking up on what Evangeline is up to fifty years after the events of his previous manga.
His works include:
- Hito Natsu No Kids Game: His debut manga
- Itsudatte My Santa
- A.I. Love You: The first of his manga to be (extremely tenuously) connected to one of his other series.
- Love Hina: Arguably his best known work, being the Trope Codifier (or at least the most popular example) of the modern Unwanted Harem genre. It pigeonholed him as "a romantic comedy guy", a tendency he began to shift away from in subsequent series. Also known for having lots of Fanservice.
- Mahou Sensei Negima!: Arguably his other best known work, notable for codifying that it, A.I. Love You, and Love Hina all take place in the same universe, as well as taking a hard Genre Shift into shonen territory while still retaining a lot of Moe, Unwanted Harem elements, and Fanservice.
- UQ Holder: His latest manga, a Sequel Series to Negima, picking up roughly 80 years after Negima's epilogue. It's Akamatsu's first straight Shōnen series, and appears to have jettisoned most of the Fanservice and Unwanted Harem material he's most well known for.
Tropes commonly associated with Ken Akamatsu:
- Author Appeal:
- Cosplay. And probably other forms of Fanservice, but the Cosplay is most prominent.
- He also seems to have an interest in the concept of immortality/invulnerability; Love Hina had a Running Gag that the protagonist couldn't be killed, Negima! featured an immortal character and explicitly made the protagonist immortal late in the series, and his latest series, UQ Holder seems to star two immortal characters as protagonists.
- Author Avatar: Keitaro may be this to him, seeing as Akamatsu usually draws himself like Keitaro.
- Barbie Doll Anatomy
- Bleached Underpants: Like many manga authors, he got his start writing Rule 34 doujin. It should be noted, however, that a lot of doujins that are attributed to him were actually drawn by one of his assistants.
- Continuity Overlap: Primarily between Negima! and Love Hina, but there are some overlaps with A.I. Love You. It's almost to the point of becoming The Verse.
- UQ Holder pretty much confirms it, as it seems to deal with the fallout of The Masquerade being dropped at the end of Negima and Evangeline appears to be a major character. Although whether it's a straight-up continuation of the same continuity or an Alternate Universe of some sort is up in the air.
- Cultural Cross-Reference: Everything from Star Wars to Ghostbusters to
Colonel Ku:Nel Sanders to Sylvester Stallone.
- Determinator: Seriously, just read a few of his diary entries (translated) and tell us this guy ain't one himself.
- Doing It for the Art: Akamatsu put enormous amount of effort into Negima!, making it a lot more detailed than it needs to be (see Shown Their Work below).
- And then ended it in one swift stroke to prevent the rights to it from being taken from his control.
- Genre Savvy: Good God he is one in real life.
- Give Geeks a Chance: His marriage gave hope to nerds everywhere...
- Loads and Loads of Characters: Especially Negima!, which starts with about 35 characters and builds from there. It has the distinction of being the first series on this wiki that broke its character page TWICE due to being so damn long, requiring a secondary page for the other main characters. And it still broke the page again. Eventually, it was divided into 7 character pages.
- Reference Overdosed
- Scenery Porn
- Shout-Out: Tons. Especially related to Video Games.
- Shown Their Work: Surprisingly good Latin, Ancient Greek, and Sanskrit in Negima!. The Omake is also full of mythological references. Negima volumes' bonus sections also discuss how the laws of physics influences magic.
- Teasing Creator: Especially involving which caused Negima! to have its own Ship Tease page.
- Twinkle Toes Samurai: The Shinmeiryuu.
- Unwanted Harem: Love Hina practically redefined the modern form of the Unwanted Harem, and is the genre Akamatsu is most commonly associated with. Even though his the following series started out looking like one, it has been moving in a different direction lately, as he wanted to try something different. His current series appears to have abandoned the genre entirely.
- Wham Line: "Negima! will end in three chapters." Cue fans frothing at their mouths.