Sometimes Fanservice is provided not by a major or supporting character, but instead by a very minor character who doesn’t even appear in the story until almost the very moment of fanservice. She (Fanservice extras are almost Always Female
, but male examples do exist) will be on screen for anywhere from a few seconds to no more than a minute or two, during which time she might experience a Wardrobe Malfunction
or Clothing Damage
, execute a Marilyn Maneuver
, provide a Panty Shot
, or do something else that might play to the fetishes of the viewers (or filmmakers). The character exists solely to give the movie, show, or comic book a little extra titillation.
Fanservice Extras are rarely characters with actual names. If she receives billing in the credits (many don’t get any billing at all), it will be far down the cast list, and her character's "name" will usually be an “Exactly What It Says on the Tin
” kind of description like “Showering Blonde Cheerleader” or “Topless Girl in Car”.
Fanservice Extras are most commonly found in comedies, but also appear frequently in action movies and horror movies. A Fanservice Extra in a Slasher Movie
often falls victim to Death by Sex
, with a risk of Fan Disservice
depending on the level of gore. While this trope exists mostly in "moving" media, Fanservice Extras do appear in manga and comics also. They will usually appear in only one panel, and will be drawn to a level of detail not normally seen in the rest of the panel. They can add a "Just Here for Godzilla
" aspect to an otherwise forgettable B-Movie
, boosting sales and rentals and making the movie Poor Man's Porn
or Best Known for the Fanservice
The performers who play Fanservice Extras frequently have a background more in modeling than in acting. The job usually pays a little more for the nudity or near-nudity required, and requires almost no line memorization or acting. Not every person who plays one of these roles is Waiting for a Break
- often times they are simply models who are looking for some more cash on the side
. Of course as the years pass, some performers will view the role(s) as "back when I had a memorable role in a big movie
" or an Old Shame
they don't want to admit to their grandchildren.
This trope is Ms. Fanservice
without the necessary screen time or character development.
Compare Lady Not-Appearing-in-This-Game
, which is when a fanservice character gets no screen time.
open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
- Mahou Sensei Negima!: The Cat Girl waitress in the lower left panel of one page adds nothing whatsoever to the story except some eye candy and a large number of fanservice tropes.
- This is pretty par for the course for any scene with a large number of extras in it.
- In the Judge Dredd storyline "Day of Chaos: Nadia", there is a scene in the girls' dorm at the Academy of Justice. One of the cadets apparently sleeps wearing nothing but a pair of panties.
- Airplane!. The buxom Francesca "Kitten" Natividad pulls uncredited Gag Boobs duty as the jiggly lady in the white T-shirt. She has since said that she is not the topless woman who goes bouncy-bouncy in front of the camera when the passengers panic, so this second Fanservice Extra remains anonymous.
- As in the first movie, Francesca "Kitten" Natividad makes another blink-and-you'll-miss-it uncredited Gag Boobs appearance in The Sequel as the jiggling woman in the "Moral Majority" T-shirt.
- Early in Back to School, Rodney Dangerfield's character accidentally walks in on actress Leslie Huntly in the middle of her Shower Scene. Dangerfield and "Coed #1" have a brief Shower of Awkward played purely for Fanservice. Her 5 seconds of screen time earn her 26th billing in the credits.
- Beerfest. Fanservice extras are everywhere when the heroes are in Europe. Most notable in the Oktoberfest scene are the six women who get their tops pulled down, and the two girls who begin to make out with each other only to end up with wet T-shirts. At the Beerfest competition, the Swedish women's drinking team, and Misses Barley, Hops, and Yeast also qualify. Also, the hookers in the windows in Amsterdam at the very end. All of them save one, "Ulsa", are uncredited, but a few have done modeling and B-movie work elsewhere.
- Bruce Almighty. The girl in the blue sundress is on-screen for all of 5 seconds, during which Bruce (on whom God has bestowed all His powers) uses his powers to blow up her dress to do a panty check. Actress Rina Fernandez gets 32nd billing in the movie as "Beautiful Woman" , and we never even get a good look at her face.
- In Casino, Millicent Sheridan as "Senator's Hooker" slips out of her gown in the senator's hotel room.
- Commando, in which Matrix and Cooke unintentionally barge into the motel room of a man apparently filming a porn flick with a young woman. Interestingly enough, the extra who played said woman, Ava Cadell, then went to become a successful sexologist.
- In Charlie Bartlett, two girls run topless down the hallway after Charlie has sold students drugs at the dance.
- Pick a random spot in any Cheech And Chong movie. You're never more than five minutes away from this.
- In Colors, a naked woman is among those arrested when the police raid a drug house. She does absolutely nothing in the scene—or for the scene—except be the subject of Penn's Male Gaze. The actress is uncredited.
- Conan the Barbarian (2011) has, toward the beginning, Conan and his crew rescuing a group of men and women from slavers, with the women uniformly being buxom and topless. They're collectively listed in the credits as "Topless Wenches".
- Early on in The Covenant, there is a scene at a roadhouse bar in which young men with supernatural powers are taking bets on what kind of panties a waitress is wearing under her skirt. One guy uses his magic to make her do a Marilyn Maneuver and settle the bet. It turns out the waitress is Going Commando. The whole incident takes about 15 seconds of movie time. Actress Basia Jasinski gets 13th billing as "Nicky's Bar Waitress" for about 13 seconds of screen time.
- There is a scene in Death Wish II in which the main bad guy, Nirvana is hanging out in his apartment with two naked girls. Unlike the other characters who appear nude in the film, these women have absolutely no relation to the plot. Interestingly enough, the more buxom of the two women, actress Leslie Graves, had been a regular on the children's TV series Sesame Street before her untimely death from AIDS at age 35.
- When Sylvester Stallone gets to his private quarters in Demolition Man he immediately gets a wrong number on his video phone from a nude woman.
- Die Hard. When armed terrorists crash the Nakatomi company Christmas party they interrupt a couple having sex in one of the offices and drag them out with the woman screaming and topless.
- In Driven when Sylvester Stallone and Kip Pardue's characters are racing through the streets of Chicago in formula one cars, they speed by a girl so fast they blow her dress up for a rear Panty Shot.
- A male example appears in Drop Dead Fred; an attractive waiter wearing only a toga appears at a fancy party, before Fred plucks a pin from the guy's toga, leaving him naked. This scene is REALLY popular for some reason.
- In Easy Money, Rodney Dangerfield's character catches his improbably busty Innocent Fanservice Girl neighbor "Ginger Jones", played by actress Kimberly McArthur. She has about 20 seconds of screen time, just enough for a bit of hilarity to ensue as Dangerfield gets Distracted by the Sexy and fires off one of his typical one-liners.
- ''Euro Trip'. The most glaring example is the all-female nude beach at the base of the workers' monument. Also, the orange juice commercial with the nude lesbians making out.
- Pretty much any woman without speaking lines (and a few women with speaking lines) in any of The Fast and the Furious films fall under this trope.
- 70% of jobs for females in the world portrayed in The Fifth Element have Fanservice Extra as a mandatory requirement. While you would expect flight attendants, receptionists and hotel personell to be strikingly attractive, it goes to gratuitous levels when bodyguards and McDonald's clerks happen to be quite hot and show some cleavage at work.
- Good Luck Chuck features a gaggle of nude women in various sex scenes with the main character, attempting to take advantage of his "curse" that they will then immediately meet the man of their dreams.
- In Grandi Magazzini, two women do a Marilyn Maneuver dance on a ventilation grate. One woman is a Kelly LeBrock lookalike wearing the red dress from The Woman in Red. The other is a long-haired blonde wearing Marilyn Monroe's iconic white dress.
- Harold & Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay: Pretty much every good-looking woman at the Bottomless Party belongs to this trope.
- The 1980 comedy Hollywood Knights features a surprising number of actors who went on to later fame. Michele Drake plays "Cheerleader". Specifically, the cheerleader who forgets to wear panties while performing at a school assembly.
- In Into the Night, there are two big fan service extra scenes, both illustrating the more "loose" world Ed is touching upon. The first is the "Take off your shirt" scene at the boat after the airport, and the second the woman who is pulling up her dress as she steps out of the bathroom stall while Ed is waiting in the men's room.
- In I'm Gonna Git You Sucka, a topless hooker comes running out of a room as the heroes are rousting people out of a bordello. This trope is lampshaded somewhat by another hooker who is wearing a T-shirt that reads "Another Model Turned Actress".
- Almost all of the James Bond films. Particularly if Bond meets a contact/the villain/somebody else by the poolside; there are bound to be bikini-clad girls all over the place. Turned Up to Eleven in The World Is Not Enough, where Bond enters a bar and his X-ray glasses make all the random women appear as if they are only wearing their lingerie.
- Joe Dirt: While taking some people hostage with a phony A-bomb (It Makes Sense in Context), Joe demands that an attractive woman in the room flash him reavealing some gratuitous Sideboob.
- In The Kentucky Fried Movie, almost every actress in the fake trailer for "Catholic High School Girls in Trouble" segment falls into this trope. Uschi Digard, who appears naked in the shower with the front of her body pressed against the glass, was a famous Swedish porn star of the late 1960s and early 1970s.
- In Liar Liar, "Elevator Girl", played by Krista Allen, says hello to Jim Carrey then gets to pop him one after he tells her that her boobs are huge and he wants to squeeze them. One of the rare cases where a Fanservice Extra not only speaks, but actually keeps her clothes on and does something connected to the plot (i.e. demonstrate how Carrey is incapable of lying).
- Subverted by script girl Anne-Marie Sakowitz in The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou. In her first few scenes it looks like her only function is to sun herself topless on-deck. As the film progresses she becomes the voice of crew dissent against Zissou. She's also fully dressed at this point.
- The Tent Lovers, Anne Jones and James McCardell, whose tent is ripped away from them by Max driving by, revealing them fully naked and going at it in Mad Max 2, The Road Warrior. For McCardell, this is apparently his only film credit, while Jones seems to have had another Fanservice Extra role in the same year, appearing as "Shower Girl" in Centrespread ("The story of a photographer's struggle in the glamorous world of nude modeling. "). Yeah.
- Me, Myself & Irene: Shannon Whirry plays the character "Beautiful Mom". Of the two scenes she is in, one features a gratuitous shot of her cleavage, and the other involves "Hank" suckling on her teat.
- The gentleman's club scene in Mystery Team... right up to the point where it dives into Fan Disservice.
- In the original Night of the Living Dead, the only "zombie" who is naked is female and young.
- Late in the The Nutty Professor II: The Klumps, an age-regressed toddler version of Buddy Love rips open the shirt of "Receptionist" Julia Schultz. The trope picture comes from this scene. Dean Richmond in the immediate aftermath of Receptionist's Clothing Damage is a textbook example of Distracted by the Sexy.
- The Outsiders: Two-Bit pulls up a female Soc's skirt, exposing her panties.
- The Party has a gratuitous shot of a bikini-clad starlet toward the end of the opening sequence. Linda Gaye Scott is credited dead last as "Starlet."
- In Piranha 3D, a falling cable rips off the bikini top of extra (Nancy Walters). However, within seconds this becomes Fan Disservice; note that Walters is credited as "Girl Cut in Half".
- In Pulp Fiction, the Marilyn Monroe waitress at Jackrabbit Slim's Diner qualifies. She reenacts the original Marilyn Maneuver and then adds something the original never had: a Panty Shot. Actress Susan Griffiths has actually had a long and successful career as a Marilyn Monroe impersonator.
- The rooftop sunbathers in Q: The Winged Serpent, particularly the one who takes off her bikini top and lotions herself right before being snatched away by the monster. Bobbi Burns gets recognized at the bottom of the cast list as "Sunbather" for being a good sport.
- Early in Speed, the SWAT team are rescuing people from an office building elevator that's about to drop. As they help one woman in a business suit down, her skirt rides up revealing a white thong. Everybody in the elevator is credited at the end of the cast credits as "Elevator Passengers", but there's no easy way to tell which actress this is.
- In Strange Days, Ralph Fiennes' character acquires a SQUID recording in a bar that was recorded from point-of-view of a very buxom stoner girl, played by real life porn star Kylie Ireland. The recording in question plays no role in the plot of the movie.
- The Stunt Man: While doing a stunt involving falling through a window into a room, the hero falls on top of a nude woman on a bed, who is actually a stunt woman placed there to break his fall.
- In Tango and Cash during a car chase in a parking garage, one of the vehicles bumps into a parked car where a couple is having sex in the back seat. The girl is on top and her naked upper half is shown as they stop and see what's going on.
- In Used Cars, Cheryl Rixon plays "Margaret", a model that gets her dress stripped off on live TV when it gets caught in the hood of a car that Russell opens.
- The naked girl seen getting out of Bud Fox's bed in Wall Street. Suzen Murakoshi is credited as "Girl in Bed".
- In War, a woman appears topless in a scene for seemingly no reason other than to show that Jet Li has sex like the rest of us mere mortals.
- In Wedding Crashers, the Sex Montage of women falling into bed with Owen Wilson and Vince Vaughn is filled with Fanservice Extras. Most seem to be uncredited, but two that stand out: Owen's final girl is Diora Baird, who has since found steady work in the Gag Boobs area; Vince's final girl is Rachel Sterling, a former Juggy Dancer on The Man Show.
- In Weird Science, Gary and Wyatt try to create a second woman during the Wild Teen Party near the middle of the movie. Hilarity Ensues, and two Fanservice Extras make an appearance:
- The "Girl in Upside-Down Bathroom" giggles while giving a gratuitous Panty Shot as the bathroom is rotating. Actress Alison Carole Lowe, whose only other film credit is as "Gymnast" in Breakin 2 Electric Boogaloo, gets her 5 seconds on the screen.
- The "Girl Playing Piano" vs. The Invisible Nudifier, or whatever it is that is sucking everything in the room into the fireplace and out the chimney. Actress Kym Malin, who did her own stunts here.
- In xXx, Xander has a stripper waiting for him in his bedroom, courtesy of the Big Bad.
- In Zapped, Scott Baio's character acquires telekinetic powers and uses them for exactly the same thing every other man would use them for: rigging gambling tables and separating hot women from their clothing. Hilarity Ensues. Fanservice Extras abound. Some highlights:
- The two uncredited girls in the convertible who get their tops ripped off. The redhead is Jewel Shepard, who made a career out of Fanservice bit parts in 80s sex comedies.
- The prom scene. Everyone is uncredited, but rumor has it that the girl whose dress does not survive the Marilyn Maneuver now has a long-running Soap Opera career.
Live Action TV
- CSI: Miami: By the dozen whenever the action takes us to a beach full of women in skimpy bikinis, or a nightclub full of women in skimpy dresses. Which happens a lot.
- CSI: Las Vegas as well. Just replace the beaches of Miami with the hotel pools of Las Vegas.
- Entourage: The only purpose most women have on this show.
- The Sopranos: Any stripper we see on stage at the Bada Bing qualifies, unless, of course, one of them becomes part of the episode's plot.
- Burn Notice: Everything stated for CSI: Miami also applies to this show.
- In Casualty and its Spin-Off, Holby City, the Fanservice Extra characters occur and re-occur multiple times, and with names, too. They are Mary-Claire (now an Ascended Extra), Nikki, Kate, Rita. It's only the tan-skinned Portuguese/Asian-looking woman who does not get named.
- The Scrubs episode "My Day At The Races", has a scene where JD goes to swim; for a few seconds the camera focuses on the scantily-clad women on the beach.
- In Breaking the Magician's Code: Magic's Biggest Secrets Finally Revealed, the Masked Magician is assisted with a group of Lovely Assistant's who take part in the trick. Lampshaded as the narrator explains that hot babes are part of the misdirection that every magician uses.
- Spartacus: Blood and Sand makes heavy use of these. From female spectators flashing their breasts at gladiatorial fights, to an inside look at a Roman brothel, to naked slaves providing "entertainment" at a social gathering, the show generally managed to squeeze gratuitous nudity and sex into quite a few scenes. It is not unusual for main characters to hold conversations while extras are going at it in the background.
- The scantily-clad/topless Amazons in Hercules.
- Premier's Hollywood Heat features two bikini-clad women on the backbox translite, whose only purpose is to reinforce the game as a Miami Vice mockbuster.
- Stern Pinball's High Roller Casino has scantily-clad Las Vegas showgirls on the backglass, backbox sides, and playfield.
- The various Bond girls in Gottlieb's James Bond 007, who appear all over the playfield and backglass but have no effect on the game itself.
- The sides of the KISS pinball playfield show two women wearing Kiss facepaint and ridiculously thin leather thong bikinis.
- The serving maids in The Champion Pub.
- Flash has several women wearing various revealing outfits, ostensibly followers of the game's Thunder God and with zero relevance to the game.
- Striker Xtreme features a woman wearing a blue soccer top and shorts posing next to a winning player.
- Evel Knievel has several female admirers, all with large breasts and wearing tight T-shirts.
- The playfield for Guns N' Roses depicts numerous bikini-clad female groupies around the band members.
- Data East Pinball's Tales from the Crypt:
- Subverted with the sexy bikini-clad blonde perched on top of the "Creature Feature" well, whose face is that of an eyeless ghoul.
- Played straight with the woman wielding the chainsaw on the backglass.
- In Airborne Avenger, both the hero and the villain are accompanied by nameless sexy women wearing form-fitting dresses who do nothing but stand there.
- The Party Zone features an assortment of attractive young women accompanying Captain B. Zarr, all wearing skin-tight outfits with Jet Packs, fishbowl space helmets, and go-go boots.
- True to the show, The Sopranos has the Bada Bing! strip club, complete with a pair of spinning bikini-clad pole dancers.
- The corset model in The Women. Though one of her lines is actually thematically significant, even then she's obviously there to show off the kind of body that doesn't really need a corset. IMDb notes that Judith Allen, who played her (uncredited) in the 1939 film version, had previously done modeling under the name Mari Colman.
- Duke Nukem 3D: Set in an alien-infested future world, and for some reason features scantily clad women prisoners but with no plot relevance at every turn. To quote Duke, "No one steals our chicks and lives."
- God of War: The unimportant, unnamed women who offer Kratos sex in each game of the series.
- The Witcher: Many, many women in game will have sex with Geralt in exchange for stuff like flowers or drinks - and most of them aren't major NPCs. A few of them even have generic names like "Farmer girl".
- In the 2007 Conan the Barbarian video game, random topless slave girls are hidden around the map like trophies, and you are rewarded if you free them.
- Like the The World Is Not Enough example above, the James Bond game Nightfire featured bond at an art gallery with x-ray glasses. And a number of waitresses and female party goers.
- A bonus level in The Warriors (showing how musclemen Ajax and Snow joined the gang) starts off with the pair being ambushed by the Destroyers (the Warriors' main rivals on Coney Island) and being stripped of their trademark red vests (leaving Snow bare-chested and Ajax in a black tank top). Ajax and Snow pursue the vest-thieves deep into Destroyer territory, and Snow soon gets his vest back after he and Ajax corner a few Destroyers in one of their hideouts and beat the living crap out of them. Ajax then tracks another one of the thieves to an apartment building, where he catches the guy in an amorous embrace with a girl who is wearing nothing but a pair of panties and his vest. Ajax beats the guy unconscious and then confronts the girl, who gladly agrees to give up the vest if Ajax will sleep with her. Their mission accomplished the next morning, Ajax and Snow try to sneak out of enemy territory, only to spot a huge party of Destroyers rounding the corner down the street. The boys frantically try to duck out of sight, only for the girl from the night before to appear on the fire escape overhead in her bra and panties and innocently call out: "Ajax! Make sure you call me!" The gang members down the street overhear and immediately spot the two Warriors, triggering a wild chase sequence down the boardwalk that ends with Ajax and Snow fighting off a seemingly endless stream of thugs before they are rescued by their fellow Warriors.
- The Mass Effect Trilogy takes players to several nightclubs, almost all of which have asari pole dancers.
- In Tekken 5 there's a stage that set near a pool with girls in bikinis dancing and watching the fight.
- The burlesque dancers at the beginning of The Saboteur.
- Greg: These attractive non recurring women are often seen with the comic's second lead character Ted. They're usually shown after he's had his way with them or shown trying to murder him after breaking their hearts.
- Family Guy sometimes has scenes with large groups of unnamed attractive girls in swimsuits/underwear (such as the girls at Stewie's Sexy Parties, or the Asian girls that Quagmire often kidnaps). These scenes have become more frequent post-uncancellation.
- Miss Kitty from The Great Mouse Detective has a suggestive song and dance number, which starts fairly tame, but ends with a 20's style stripper act.
- Phineas and Ferb has lots of this, usually the background dancers in the Once an Episode music video.
- Pretty much any attractive female is this in Tripping the Rift.
- The anchorwoman who appears in the season finale of Gravity Falls