Creator: James Arnold Taylor
"This weapon is your life."
A Californian voice actor in video games and film. He rose to prominence by providing English voice work in Square Enix
's 2001 video game, Final Fantasy X
, as the lead character Tidus (and again in Dissidia: Final Fantasy
). In fact, judging by his Tweets, he is
James' other roles during this period include Ratchet in the Ratchet & Clank
series (barring the original game), Leonardo from the 2007 TMNT
film, Wooldoor Sockbat on the Comedy Central animated series Drawn Together
, and voice-doubling for both Captain Jack Sparrow
in Kingdom Hearts II
Today, he is perhaps best known for his role as Obi-Wan Kenobi in various Star Wars
media as the voice double for Ewan McGregor
. Taylor debuted as Obi-Wan in the Star Wars: Clone Wars
micro-series, and later reprised his role in the video game adaption of Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
, Star Wars Battlefront II
, the Star Wars: The Clone Wars
feature film, and the animated series with the same name. To date, he has portrayed Obi-Wan more than both Ewan and Sir Alec Guinness.
James has also worked as a voice double
for actors such as David Spade, Johnny Depp
, Michael J. Fox
, Nathan Lane, Billy Bob Thornton, Ewan McGregor
, and Christopher Walken
Simply put it, he is truly the Man of a Thousand Voices
. He is often compared to his fellow colleagues Tara Strong
, Tom Kenny
, Grey DeLisle
, Frank Welker
, Corey Burton
, John DiMaggio
, and Billy West
; many anime voice acting regulars like Steve Blum
, Crispin Freeman
, and Vic Mignogna
; and even the legendary voice actor Mel Blanc
(who he often compares himself to
). You can pretty much hear him nearly anywhere: from commercials to Western Animation
and video games without you even noticing it
Notable roles include:
Tropes relating to James Arnold Taylor:
- I Am Not Obi-Wan Kenobi: Subverted. Unlike Sir Alec Guinness and Ewan McGregor (sometimes), James wholeheartedly embraces his role as the iconic Jedi Master.
- Large Ham: Can sometimes become this.
- Man of a Thousand Voices: Virtually impossible to typecast, James has one of the largest vocal ranges in the voice acting industry. Here's a clip to boot. He even compared himself to Mel Blanc several times. This also means the following tropes also apply to him:
- One of Us: He's a self-proclaimed geek of many things like Anime, cartoons, Comic Books, and Video Games. But more particularly, he's a Star Wars fan (which lands him into the most iconic role of Obi-Wan Kenobi in the cartoon series).
- Playing Against Type: Walker, Fred Flintstone, Yggdrasill, Cypher, and The Fallen.
- Promoted Fanboy: See One of Us above.
- Relationship Voice Actor: Often works with John DiMaggio and Tara Strong.
- Star-Making Role: Tidus, followed by Ratchet and Obi-Wan.
- The Other Marty: Recorded lines for The Fallen in Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, but was dubbed over by Tony Todd.
- Vocal Evolution: When he first started voicing Obi-Wan, he was going for an exact voice match with Ewan McGregor. By the time Star Wars: The Clone Wars rolled around, he was allowed more free rein, allowing to put pieces of Sir Alec Guinness into his performance, making the character his own and breaking free from being just another Poor Man's Substitute.