To: TV TropesFromSoftware, Inc.
『株式会社フロム・ソフトウェア』 is a Japanese game developer founded in 1986. Mostly known for Nintendo Hard
games involving Humongous Mecha
and, more recently, their brutally addicting Nintendo Hard
Action-RPGs, Demons Souls
, Dark Souls
, and its sequel
. Generally speaking, almost every game they make tends to either go against the grain or have something to distinguish itself from the competition.
Recently acquired by Kadokawa, ending nearly 20 years of independence.
Games developed or published by FromSoftware:
- Armored Core
- Project Phantasma
- Master of Arena
- Armored Core 2
- Armored Core 3
- Silent Line
- Nine Breaker
- Formula Front
- Last Raven
- Armored Core 4
- Armored Core V
- Armored Core Verdict Day
- King's Field I, II, III, IV
- King's Field Additional I & II
- King's Field Mobile I & II, EX
Recurring tropes in FromSoftware's works:
- BFG: The Karasawa Gun, often used as one of the strongest rifles available (Armored Core usually has it as an Infinity+1 Sword).
- BFS: The Moonlight Sword, a regular among the the strongest blades available (laser blades in Armored Core, magic swords in the Souls series).
- Crapsack World: The setting for Armored Core is less than optimistic, with each new instalment escalating the global conflict and the pathos of war. The same can be said for the Souls series, with a recursive plot involving the fall of a great kingdom and the rise of darkness.
- Nintendo Hard: A large amount of their published games throw in some particularly nasty cases of Fake Difficulty, including, but not limited to: Checkpoint Starvation, Kaizo Trap, numerous boss battle types, Spiteful A.I., Early Game Hell, Guide Dang It, etc.
- Scenery Gorn / Scenery Porn: An amazing mixture of both; when they want to convey the greatness of a scene, they do so with every cent of their budget. And when they want bleakness... let's just say nausea isn't too great of a word.