's attempt at making a Ninja Gaiden killer.
an infestation of parasites develop in Tokyo
. A special group of international operatives was called in to stop them. You play as a ninja named Ken Ogawa, fighting off the hordes of strange mutants infesting Tokyo. It features many over-the-top elements and is generally quite fun to play, but was overshadowed by most other releases at the time.
Tropes used in Ninja Blade:
- Action Commands: The game took a critical drubbing because of its over-reliance of Quick Time Events to do anything; jumping out of windows, killing bosses, walking down a hallway, etc.
- It also has AntiFrustrationFeatures specifically for the QTEs. First, the player can adjust the difficulty of them independently of the combat difficulty. Secondly, the longer QTEs have sequences inside them, so if you fail a command, you just go back to the beginning of the current sequence.
- Arrogant Kung-Fu Guy: Who, unsurprisingly, turns out to be evil by the end of the first chapter.
- Badass Normal: Michael Wilson Senior
- Black Dude Dies First: afro ninja Andy is the first named character to die.
- Blade Run: Used in conjunction with a Ninja Run to trigger the finishing move on the second to last boss.
- BFS: The Stonerender Sword and Moonlight Sword
- Cosmetic Award: Including a clown suit.
- Coup de Grāce Cutscene: Every time you deplete a boss' life meter.
- Cut-and-Paste Environments: Mission 7.
- Did You Just Punch Out Cthulhu?
- Face-Heel Turn
- Fan Disservice: Three words: tentacle monster panties
- Field of Blades: Where you fight the Final Boss.
- Giant Enemy Crab
- Giant Spider: The second boss Arachne.
- Gotta Catch Them All: The Shinobi Moji.
- Highly-Visible Ninja: Well, riding a Striker on live TV sure qualifies, if crushing giant spiders with a demolition ball or stopping a crashing plane only with bare hands wasn't enough.
- Katanas Are Just Better: The Ninja Blade, obviously.
- Large Ham: Any infected character that speaks takes this one Up to Eleven.
- Mythology Gag: One of the secret weapons you can unlock after finding all 8 Shinobi Moji is The Moonlight Sword, which has appeared in nearly every single From Software game since its debut in King's Field 2 (including the Armored Core games, where it was a laser blade instead of a normal sword.)
- Also, from the manual, Special Agent Michael Wilson, the same name as the President from Metal Wolf Chaos, before he became president.
- Ninja: Duh
- Ninja Run: Duh
- Not the Fall That Kills You: Apparently, true ninja do not even need parachutes when diving out of a plane.
- Press X to Not Die: One-third of the game.
- Puppeteer Parasite: The mutants and other infectoids are all created from hookworms infesting humans.
- Rule of Cool: Riding a missile shot by a mutant-infested helicopter right back at it, leaping hundreds of stories in the air only to harmlessly land because of some improbable acrobatics, fighting giant worms the size of skyscrapers, the list goes on.
- Token Minority
- Tokyo Is the Center of the Universe
- The Tokyo Fireball: in the bad ending.
- Wall Jump