Sinister Dexter is a comic series in the British comics anthology 2000 AD, created by Dan Abnett and David Millgate. It first appeared in 2000 AD Winter Special #7 (December, 1995).Set in the near future, it features the exploits of gun sharks [hitmen] Finnigan "Finny" Sinister and Ramone "Ray" Dexter in the city of Downlode, sprawled across Central Europe. Occasional stories have taken place in other cities, or off planet.
This comic provides examples of:
- Abnormal Ammo: Sinister's Minigun is capable of firing normal and Hi-Ex rounds.
- Awesome McCool Name: The main characters full names are Finnigan Rapunzel Sinister and Ramone Algonquin Winnibago Dexter respectively. Other awesome names include "Holy" Moses Tennenbaum, Kal Cutter (though it isn't his real name), Miss Deeds, Satan Brink and others. Seems Abnett loves this trope.
- Badass Normal: Sinister. Many characters are cyborgs or genetically enhanced. Even Dexter has a Headcase installed, allowing him to have Improbable Aiming Skills and watch tv at the same time. Finny simply relies on his trusty Hand Cannon.
- Captain Ersatz: Abnett has stated he based the duo on John Travolta and Samuel L. Jackson's characters in Pulp Fiction.
- Executive Meddling: Parodied in universe in one strip that is essentially a parody trailer for a Sinister Dexter movie. The movie appears to cast vactors (virtual actors) as the main characters. Finny and Ray are disgusted to find that Bruce Willis has been cast as Sinister and Eddie Murphy has been cast as Dexter (Each even using lines from Die Hard and Beverly Hills Cop as Pre Ass Kicking One Liners). While Finny expresses some joy at Scarlett Johansson being cast as Demi Octavo, they both walk out of the theatre once the trailer is over, expressing disgust at having sold the movie rights to their own life stories.
- Guns Akimbo: Dexter's pair of Rugers.
- Hand Cannon: Finny's minigun, which is a misnomer. It resembles a shotgun (Depending on the Artist) but is just a really huge handgun.
- Meaningful Name: In Latin the words sinister and dexter mean "on the left side" and "on the right side", respectively.
- Mega City: Downlode. It's not quite clear how big the city is, but it certainly seems to sprawl from parts of Spain all the way into Eastern Europe. For a while the series' blurb at the front of the comic described Downlode as "sprawling across Central Europe like a hit and run victim"
- Pretty in Mink: Carmen Hosanna wears a long, white fur coat.
- Punny Name: Almost everybody. Not just people, the entire world seems to run off of this. An example in one episode was an Italian restaurant with an American Civil War theme called Spaggestisburg. This gets lampshaded, as one character doesn't get the connection between Italian food and The American Civil War.
- Too Dumb to Live: In Dunce Macabre, Kal reckons a man that they have just chased out into oncoming traffic is the dumbest mark that has ever had a price on his head. Finny and Ray proceed to tell him about some of the stupidest hits they ever performed, including a man who hid in a wardrobe (He was told he needed armour and thought they said "armoire"), a man who jumped out the window onto some live power cables and a man who filled in the form incorrectly and got himself killed and paid for it.