Dan Abnett is the writer of many acclaimed Warhammer 40,000
tie-in novels, including such series as Gaunt's Ghosts
and its spinoff Double Eagle
, and Ravenor
, as well as Horus Rising
and Prospero Burns
in the Horus Heresy
series and the standalone Brothers of the Snake
. He's widely considered the best author of the franchise, and even those who snub 40k
fiction will usually add "...except Dan Abnett." He was even appointed to write the story for the Ultramarines
Abnett and his writing partner, Andy Lanning (Fan Nickname
: D'n'A), have written many comics together, including a well-regarded run on an incarnation of the Legion of Super-Heroes
. They wrote the fourth Nova
and the second Guardians Of The Galaxy
series and several Space Crossovers
for Marvel Comics
, including Annihilation Conquest
, War of Kings
and The Thanos Imperative
, as well as The Authority
. In Britain, he has contributed extensively to 2000 AD
, including a large number of Judge Dredd
stories, and is the creator and primary writer of Sinister Dexter
. He's also written alone for X-Men
, and published a number of unrelated novels, including the recent steampunk
/modern fantasy novel Triumff - Her Majesty's Hero
and the military sci-fi novel Embedded
Abnett has also written several comics, books, and audio plays in the Doctor Who Expanded Universe
(both Doctor Who
), including the bridging part of the multi-author book The Story of Martha
(set during "the year that never was" between "The Sound of Drums"
and "Last of the Time Lords"
), as well as a Primeval
Recently worked with Andy Lanning on IDW Publishing
's Cross Through Infestation
, which involves a Zombie Apocalypse
spreading through Covert Vampiric Operations
, IDW's Transformers Generation 1
and G.I. Joe
and the Star Trek Expanded Universe
. Abnett and Lanning are also cooperating on a new Heroes For Hire
series ongoing for Marvel Comics
He also was one of the writers for Sega and Creative Assembly's Alien: Isolation
Works by Dan Abnett that have a separate page on the wiki:
Notable comics Dan Abnett worked on:
Examples from works that don't have their own page:
- Ace Pilot: In Double Eagle, every single protagonist is one of these. Oskar Viltry is a rare bomber-flying version. Though later he switches to fighters.
- Base on Wheels: The Chaos airbases in Double Eagle are over a mile long, and mobile.
- Bug War: Kingdom follows a group of genetically modified dogs as the fight giant praying mantises who have wiped out most of humanity.
- Hit So Hard the Calendar Felt It: Hypernaturals is set in the year 100 AQ (Anno Quantinuum), a century after The Singularity.
- Swiss Army Weapon: Triumff has a literal Swiss Army Weapon — the couteau suisse, a hex-powered weapon which, at the touch of a (somewhat unreliable) button, will manifest a variety of fighting blades (usually a rapier, but on one occasion, a cutlass), as well as, when the mood takes it, traditional Swiss Army Knife tools, including a veg peeler.