Creator: Dan Abnett
Dan Abnett is the writer of many acclaimed Warhammer 40,000 tie-in novels, including such series as Gaunt's Ghosts and its spinoff Double Eagle, Eisenhorn, and Ravenor, as well as Horus Rising, Legion and Prospero Burns in the Horus Heresy series and the standalone Brothers of the Snake. He's widely considered the best author of the franchise, and even those who snub 40k fiction will usually add "...except Dan Abnett." He was even appointed to write the story for the Ultramarines movie.Abnett and his writing partner, Andy Lanning (Fan Nickname: D'n'A), have written many comics together, including a well-regarded run on an incarnation of the Legion of Super-Heroes. They wrote the fourth Nova and the second Guardians Of The Galaxy series and several Space Crossovers for Marvel Comics, including Annihilation Conquest, War of Kings and The Thanos Imperative, as well as The Authority for Wildstorm. In Britain, he has contributed extensively to 2000 AD, including a large number of Judge Dredd stories, and is the creator and primary writer of Sinister Dexter and Kingdom. He's also written alone for X-Men, and published a number of unrelated novels, including the recent steampunk/modern fantasy novel Triumff - Her Majesty's Hero and the military sci-fi novel Embedded.Abnett has also written several comics, books, and audio plays in the Doctor Who Expanded Universe (both Doctor Who and Torchwood), including the bridging part of the multi-author book The Story of Martha (set during "the year that never was" between "The Sound of Drums" and "Last of the Time Lords"), as well as a Primeval tie-in novel.Recently worked with Andy Lanning on IDW Publishing's Cross Through Infestation, which involves a Zombie Apocalypse spreading through Covert Vampiric Operations, IDW's Transformers Generation 1 and G.I. Joe continuities, Ghostbusters and the Star Trek Expanded Universe. Abnett and Lanning are also cooperating on a new Heroes For Hire series ongoing for Marvel Comics.He also was one of the writers for Sega and Creative Assembly's Alien: Isolation.
Works by Dan Abnett that have a separate page on the wiki:
- Brothers of the Snake
- Gaunt's Ghosts
- Horus Heresy series (with others)
- The Hypernaturals
- Malus Darkblade (with Mike Lee)
- Ravenor vs. Eisenhorn
Notable comics Dan Abnett worked on:
- Annihilation (Annihilation Nova mini-series.)
- Annihilation Conquest (main series, prologue, Nova-tie in.)
- The Authority, volume 4.
- Several stories from Marvel Comics Doctor Who Magazine.
- Heroes for Hire, volume 3.
- Guardians of the Galaxy volume 2.
- The Infestation
- New Mutants, volume 3.
- Nova, volume 4.
- Resurrection Man, volumes 1 and 2.
- Sinister Dexter
- The Thanos Imperative
- The VCs
- Vector 13
- War of Kings (everything aside X-Men: Kingbreakers, Savage World Of Skaar and the two-issue Warriors mini-series.)
Examples from works that don't have their own page:
- Ace Pilot: In Double Eagle, every single protagonist is one of these. Oskar Viltry is a rare bomber-flying version. Though later he switches to fighters.
- Base on Wheels: The Chaos airbases in Double Eagle are over a mile long, and mobile.
- Bug War: Kingdom follows a group of genetically modified dogs as the fight giant praying mantises who have wiped out most of humanity.
- Hit So Hard the Calendar Felt It: Hypernaturals is set in the year 100 AQ (Anno Quantinuum), a century after The Singularity.
- Swiss Army Weapon: Triumff has a literal Swiss Army Weapon — the couteau suisse, a hex-powered weapon which, at the touch of a (somewhat unreliable) button, will manifest a variety of fighting blades (usually a rapier, but on one occasion, a cutlass), as well as, when the mood takes it, traditional Swiss Army Knife tools, including a veg peeler.