Deff Skwadron is a comic set in the Warhammer 40,000 universe, following the adventures of the titular squadron of Ork fighta-bomma pilots of Waaagh! Badthug in their war against Waaagh! Grimlug.Said pilots include:
- Uzgob "Maverork", Skwadron Kommanda
- Gimzod, Uzgob's mek, navigator and smartboy
- Raznuts "Da Goose", Uzgob's luckless sekond-in-kommand
- Gorthunk "Killboy", either the worst pilot in the skwadron or the best, depending on whether you happen to be on his side or not.
This comic contains the following tropes:
- Abnormal Ammo: Using Squigs as soldiers is an old standby among Orks; using them as bombs is not.
- Absent Aliens: Inverted, as humans are nowhere to be seen.
- Accidental Misnaming: Badthug can't bother to get Uzgob's name right (for him it's Ugzob).
- Ace Pilot: Deff Skwadron have a reputation of not only succeeding in their missions, but also surviving them as well.
- Airstrike Impossible:
- Sink Da Grimlug involves an airstrike against a gigantic ship equipped with anti air weapons. The orks end up landing (crashing) onto it and just igniting the ship's ammo supplies after it becomes clear they can't destroy it via airstrike.
- 38 Seconds Over Big Scrap Alley is a bombing run over heavy anti-air fire. Rather than dropping bombs, they drop in hungry squigs (and an unfortunate Killboy).
- Amusing Injuries: Uzgob's copilot in Da Sekret Weapon gets bandaged up between panels.
- And the Adventure Continues: The final issue shows the squadron chasing a "messenger squigeon", feeding it to a squig hawk by accident, and then trying to chase down the hawk because it's now got the secret dispatch papers they were ordered to recover.
- A-Team Firing: All these guns?◊ Firing repeatedly and simultaneously, are incapable of hitting a bird-sized target moving towards them. (Justified, since Orks vastly prefer volume of fire to accuracy.)
- Attack! Attack! Attack!: Killboy."The best means of defence is attack, and the best means of attack is a really really big one, right, with lots of boys an' dead big shooty things an' what have ya." Drek Zog, ork smartboy.
- Battleship Raid: In "Sink da Grimlug".
- Binary Suns: "We came outta the suns- well, one of 'em anyway."
- Bling of War: Warboss Badthug, complete with Chest of Medals and Commissar Cap.
- Butt-Monkey: Raznuts always gets shot down before reaching the target, and Uzgob is always happy to test the wing cannons against him.
- Captain Crash: Killboy. 35 missions flown, 35 replacement fighta-bommaz, 35 major bionik procedures.Uzgob: Who's that flash git still flyin' without 'is wings, Gimzod?
- Catch That Pigeon!: Or messenger squig, rather. It's even referred to as a "Messenger Squidgeon"
- Chronic Backstabbing Disorder: Kannibal Skwadron doesn't show up for duty because they're thinking of switching sides. And of course, nearly half the kills a pilot scores are from his own side.
- It's rather telling that Uzgob's immediate plan for a hijacked enemy plane is to go and bomb a rival skwadron.
- Cool Ship: da Grimlug.
- Cool Plane: Da megabomma.◊
- Comedic Sociopathy: Again, orks.Gimzod: There goes Raznuts, boss.
Uzgob: 'E make it out in one piece?
Gimzod: Fraid so, boss.
Uzgob: Lucky git. Don't s'pose there's time to turn back and test out the wing kannons on 'im?
- Crazy Awesome: Uzgob considers Killboy this, and happily dumps him into the most lethal situations just to see what he'll do (or if he'll finally die.)
- Cuteness Proximity: Well, Dakka Proximity in this case. When his Warboss introduces Uzgob to a building-sized fighter-bomber with guns sticking out of literally every available surface, Uzgob goes all googly-eyed.Uzgob: Flasmin' Mork, Boss... it's... it's... Zog me, it's BOOTIFUL!
- Cybernetics Eat Your Soul: Averted, no matter how many cybork parts Killboy has (38, by the end), he keeps the orky attitude.
- Dope Slap: "We've got a trainin' skool now? 'Ow long's that been goin' on then, boss?" *KUFF*
- Evil vs. Evil: It's all Orks fighting Orks, so feel free to enjoy the carnage.
- False Flag Operation: Suitably twisted Orky version: When Uzgob and his boys commandeer an enemy bomber to escape the sinking battleship they just sabotaged, he decides to take a little detour to bomb his own side on the way back.Uzgob: We've got a bommer 'ere painted with enemy markings, so who's gonna know it's really us if we bombs the place to zog?
- Friend or Foe: The boyz of Deff Skwadron tend to have more kills belonging to their own side than the enemy's. Then again..."Topside turrets! Which one of you gitz isn't shootin' like all the others!?"
"Me, boss. 'Ow we supposed to know who's on our side and who ain't?"
"Listen karefully and I'll explain 'ow we do things 'ere in Deff Skwadron... You shoot at it an' you miss, it's one of ourz. You hit it an' you shoot it down, then it must be one of theirs. Dead simple, see?"
"Got it, boss. Works a treat, that does..."
- Foregone Conclusion: Gimzod will survive, to tell the tale of how he and Uzgob sank da Grimlug. Lampshaded by Gimzod himself.
- Did You Die?: Discussed.
- Forever War: The war between Waaaagh! Grimlug and Waaaagh! Badthug will likely never end. Neither side could be happier about this.
- Funny Background Event: Usually involving gretchin.
- Genius Bruiser: Killboy expresses himself far better than most orks.Killboy: Kommanda Uzgob, sir! Deff Skwadron -or all that's left of it- reportin' for duty!
Uzgob: Killboy! Ain't you dead yet?
Killboy: Minor wounds, sir. Nuthin' the mediks and a few more bionik bitz can't fix. 'Avin' survived the destruction of my own bomma an' liberated this 'ere enemy aircraft I wuz just about to take off an' re-kommence attackin' the target when you blew it up, sir!
- The Ghost: Warboss Grimlug is never seen or heard.
- Grappling-Hook Pistol: Killboy has one in his power klaw.
- High-Class Glass: Badthug's bionik eye looks like one. Combined with his Commissar Cap, he's almost Putting on the Reich.
- Humongous Mecha: Grimlug's gargant.
- Hypocritical Humor: "See, because of his gangs of Grot spies, Warboss Badthug knew that Warboss Grimlug was plannin' a sneak attack. Naturally, 'gainst such low and downright gittish behavior, good old Badthug did what any smart-thinkin' Mork-fearin' bossboy would do... 'E decided to get 'is retaliation in first and sent us boyz to blow up Grimlug's gargant yards at Big Scrap Alley."
- Insane Troll Logic: Take a look at the logic behind Friend or Foe. That's Ork logic for you. A sane person might read it as "If they can't evade and/or endure the shot from our cannons, then they don't deserve to be our allies, so it's totally okay to shoot everything in sight." Or, he just assumes that his pilots are already that good, and so would avoid the gunfire. Obviously.
- Interservice Rivalry: The skwadrons on the same side need only the flimsiest of excuses to shoot at each other.
- The Ishmael: Gimzod is the one writing down the tales of Deff Skwadron for posterity, but Uzgob is closer to a main character since he's the boss and all.
- Large and in Charge: Warboss Badthug.
- Manly Tears: The sight of the Megabomma◊ is enough to bring a tear to Uzgob's eye.
- Major Injury Underreaction:Killboy: Beg pardon, sir, but you couldn't 'elp me with the take-off? Lost one of me arms in the crash again, an' I'm 'avin trouble usin' all the controls...
- Justified as orks are a lot tougher than 'umiez.
- Miles Gloriosus: Raznuts, Uzgob's scheming glory-hunting sekond-in-kommand. 156 kills klaimed. 4 konfirmed.
- Military Maverick: Yes, even the orks have them, in the form of Killboy.
- More Dakka: Did we mention this is a comic about orks?
- More Teeth than the Osmond Family: Squigs.
- Nobody Poops: Averted.◊
- No-Sell: Killboy wades through a tide of angry squigs without problem, as there's barely enough of him that's not metal for them to chew on.
- Offhand Backhand: see Dope Slap.
- Oh, Crap!: Raznuts realising that he's following the squigeon towards a hole that is just a bit smaller than his bommer and it's already too late to turn aside.
- Outside Ride: Gimzod and approximately two dozen of Grimlug's boyz, when returning from sinking the Grimlug.
- Ramming Always Works: Killboy's favorite (some might say only) tactic.
- Riding the Bomb: Not an actual bomb, but when Killboy opens the bomb bay doors to drop the squigs he doesn't have time to run.Bommz away, boss! Payload sukkessfully deployed!
Oh yeah, 'e's been deployed too!
(jump to outside)
- Running Gag:
- "'Ere, who's dat git [doing something wrong]!?" "Killboy, boss." "Heh, good ol' Killboy."
- Raznuts getting shot down before reaching the target.
- Similarly, Raznuts being suggested as the ultimate target for some teamkilling.
- Gimzod while narrating: "I could tell ya we [did something heroic/awesome and were brilliantly victorious] but I'd be lyin'."
- Run or Die:Gimzod: Good shootin', boss! Now what we gonna do?
Uzgob: A favorite ole Deff Skwadron taktik, Gimzod, 'oned to perfektion by years of 'ard-won experience... we legs it good an' proper!
- Screaming Warrior: Killboy.
- Servile Snarker: Uzgob does not like them."Are we gonna have a court of inquiry 'bout this too, b- ooooowww!!!"
"There's a difference between bein' a smartboy and bein' a smart git, Gimzod."
- Shoot the Fuel Tank: The Grimlug is sunk by shooting the chains off an artillery shell so it falls back down into the magazine.
- Shoot the Messenger: Badthug throws a bearer of bad news over into no-man's-land.
- The Starscream: Averted: While Raznuts is described as such, he never actually does any backstabbing—though that's mostly because Uzgob preemptively shoots him down every mission.
- Talking Is a Free Action: Uzgob is able to explain his squadron's rather less aerial appearance to the warboss in the three seconds it takes for his jet-propelled bike to go past him.
- There Is No Kill Like Overkill
- Unfriendly Fire: At the end of Sink da Grimlug, they take their captured fighta-bommer to take out a rival skwadron. This is also suggested for dealing with Raznuts, although they never actually get around to it onscreen.
- We ARE Struggling Together: The two sides in the war are more or less completely arbitrary, with squads changing allegiances on a whim, and orks don't care much who they're aiming at as long as theyre shooting something. So any given ork has a roughly 50% chance of being shot down by those nominally on his side.
- Written Soundeffect: DAKKADAKKADAKKADAKKA
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Uzgob and Gimzod, as far as orks can be buds.Gimzod: Flamin' Mork, boss! 'Oo'd 'ave thought squigsharks could jump this 'igh!
Uzgob: Shut up an' keep shootin', Gimzod. I'd be up there a lot fraggin' faster if I wasn't carrying you!
- Xtreme Kool Letterz: Goes hand-in-hand with Funetik Aksent. Deff Skwadron, Kannibal Skwadron, Karnage Skwadron...