Comic Book: Deff Skwadron
Deff Skwadron is a comic set in the Warhammer 40K
universe, following the adventures of the titular squadron of ork fighta-bomma pilots of Waaagh! Badthug in their war against Waaagh! Grimlug.
Said pilots include:
- Uzgob "Maverork", Skwadron Kommanda
- Gimzod, Uzgob's mek, navigator and smartboy
- Raznuts "Da Goose", Uzgob's luckless sekond-in-kommand
- Gorthunk "Killboy", either the worst pilot in the skwadron or the best, depending on whether you happen to be on his side or not.
Deff Skwadron contains the following tropes:
- Abnormal Ammo: Using Squigs as soldiers is an old standby among Orks; using them as bombs is not.
- Absent Aliens: Inverted, as humans are nowhere to be seen.
- Accidental Misnaming: Badthug can't bother to get Uzgob's name right (for him it's Ugzob).
- Amusing Injuries: Uzgob's copilot in Da Sekret Weapon gets bandaged up between panels.
- A-Team Firing: All these guns?◊ Firing repeatedly and simultaneously, are incapable of hitting a bird-sized target moving towards them.
- Attack! Attack! Attack!: Killboy.
"The best means of attack is defense, and the best means of attack is a really really big one, right, with lots of boys an' dead big shooty things an' what have ya." Drek Zog, ork smartboy.
- Battleship Raid: In "Sink da Grimlug".
- Binary Suns: "We came outta the suns- well, one of 'em anyway."
- Butt Monkey: Raznuts always gets shot down before reaching the target, and Ugzob is always happy to test the wing cannons against him.
- Captain Crash: Killboy. 35 missions flown, 35 replacement fighta-bommaz, 35 major bionik procedures.
Uzgob: Who's that flash git still flyin' without 'is wings, Gimzod?
- Catch That Pigeon: Or messenger squig, rather.
- Chronic Backstabbing Disorder: Kannibal Skwadron doesn't show up for duty because they're thinking of switching sides. And of course, nearly half the kills a pilot scores are from his own side.
- It's rather telling that Uzgob's immediate plan for a hijacked enemy plane is to go and bomb a rival skwadron.
- Cool Ship: da Grimlug.
- Cool Plane: Da megabomma.◊
- Comedic Sociopathy: Again, orks.
Gimzod: There goes Raznuts, boss.
Uzgob: 'E make it out in one piece?
Gimzod: Fraid so, boss.
Uzgob: Lucky git. Don't s'pose there's time to turn back and test out the wing kannons on 'im?
- Bling of War: Warboss Badthug.
- Cybernetics Eat Your Soul: Averted, no matter how many cybork parts Killboy has (38, by the end), he keeps the orky attitude.
- Dope Slap: "We've got a trainin' skool now? 'Ow long's that been goin' on then, boss?" *KUFF*
- Friend or Foe: The boyz of Deff Skwadron tend to have more kills belonging to their own side than the enemy's. Then again...
"Topside turrets! Which one of you gitz isn't shootin' like all the others!?"
"Me, boss. 'Ow we supposed to know who's on our side and who ain't?"
"Listen karefully and I'll explain 'ow we do things 'ere in Deff Skwadron... You shoot at it an' you miss, it's one of ourz. You hit it an' you shoot it down, then it must be one of theirs. Dead simple, see?"
"Got it, boss. Works a treat, that does..."
- Foregone Conclusion: Gimziod will survive, to tell the tale of how he and Uzgob sank da Grimlug. Lampshaded by Gimzod himself.
- Forever War: The war between Waaaagh! Grimlug and Waaaagh! Badthug will likely never end. Neither side could be happier about this.
- For Massive Damage: The Grimlug is sunk by shooting the chains off an artillery shell so it falls back down into the magazine.
- Funny Background Event: Usually involving gretchin.
- Genius Bruiser: Killboy expresses himself far better than most orks.
: Kommanda Uzgob, sir! Deff Skwadron -or all that's left of it- reportin' for duty! Uzgob
: Killboy! Ain't you dead yet? Killboy
: Minor wounds
, sir. Nuthin' the mediks and a few more bionik bitz can't fix. 'Avin' survived the destruction of my own bomma an' liberated this 'ere enemy aircraft I wuz just about to take off an' re-kommence attackin' the target when you blew it up, sir!
- The Ghost: Grimlug is never seen or heard.
- Grappling-Hook Pistol: Killboy has one in his power klaw.
- High-Class Glass: Killboy's bionik eye looks like one. Combined with his Commissar Cap, he's almost Putting on the Reich.
- Humongous Mecha: Grimlug's gargant.
- Hypocritical Humor: "See, because of his gangs of Grot spies, Warboss Badthug knew that Warboss Grimlug was plannin' a sneak attack. Naturally, 'gainst such low and downright gittish behavior, good old Badthug did what any smart-thinkin' Mork-fearin' bossboy would do... 'E decided to get 'is retaliation in first and sent us boyz to blow up Grimlug's gargant yards at Big Scrap Alley."
- Insane Troll Logic: Take a look at the logic behind Friend or Foe. That's Ork logic for you. A sane person might read it as "If they can't evade and/or endure the shot from our cannons, then they don't deserve to be our allies, so it's totally okay to shoot everything in sight." Or, he just assumes that his pilots are already that good, and so would avoid the gunfire. Obviously.
- Large And In Charge: Warboss Badthug.
- Manly Tears: The sight of the Megabomma◊ is enough to bring a tear to Uzgob's eye.
- Major Injury Underreaction:
Killboy: Beg pardon, sir, but you couldn't 'elp me with the take-off? Lost one of me arms in the crash again, an' I'm 'avin trouble usin' all the controls...
- Miles Gloriosus: Raznuts, Uzgob's scheming glory-hunting sekond-in-kommand. 156 kills klaimed. 4 konfirmed.
- Military Maverick: Yes, even the orks have them, in the form of Killboy.
- More Dakka: Did we mention this is a comic about orks?
- More Teeth than the Osmond Family: Squigs.
- No Sell: Killboy wades through a tide of angry squigs without problem, as there's barely enough of him that's not metal for them to chew on.
- Offhand Backhand: see Dope Slap.
- Outside Ride: Gimzod and approximately two dozen of Grimlug's boyz, when returning from sinking the Grimlug.
- Ramming Always Works: Killboy's favorite (some might say only) tactic.
- Riding the Bomb: Not an actual bomb, but when Killboy opens the bomb bay doors to drop the squigs he doesn't have time to run.
Bommz away, boss! Payload sukkessfully deployed!
Oh yeah, 'e's been deployed too!
- Running Gag: "'Ere, who's dat git [doing something wrong]!?" "Killboy, boss." "Heh, good ol' Killboy."
- Raznuts getting shot down before reaching the target.
- Similarly, Raznuts being suggested as the ultimate target for some teamkilling.
- Run or Die:
Gimzod: Good shootin', boss! No what we gonna do?
Ugzob: A favorite ole Deff Skwadron taktik, gimzod, 'oned to perfektion by years of 'ard-won experience... we legs it good an' proper!
- Screaming Warrior: Killboy.
- Servile Snarker: Uzgob does not like them.
"Are we gonna have a court of inquiry
'bout this too, b- ooooowww!!!"
"There's a difference between bein' a smartboy and bein' a smart git
- Shoot the Messenger: Badthug throws a bearer of bad news over into no-man's-land.
- Shout Out: Uzgob's callsign is "Maverork". The same with the other call signs.
- Raznuts does the "just a few more seconds..." scene from the Star Wars Death Star trench run, with the same amount of success.
- The Starscream: Averted: While Raznuts is described as such, he never actually does any backstabbing- though that's mostly because Uzgob preemptively shoots him down every mission.
- Talking Is a Free Action: Uzgob is able to explain his squadron's rather less aerial appearance to the warboss in the three seconds it takes for his jet-propelled bike to go past him.
- There Is No Kill Like Overkill
- Unfriendly Fire: At the end of Sink da Grimlug, they take their captured fighta-bommer to take out a rival skwadron. This is also suggested for dealing with Raznuts, although they never actually get around to it onscreen.
- Written Soundeffect: DAKKADAKKADAKKADAKKA
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Ugzob and Gimzod, as far as orks can be buds.
Gimzod: Flamin' Mork, boss! 'Oo'd 'ave thought squigsharks could jump this 'igh!
Ugzob: Shut up an' keep shootin', Gimzod. I'd be up there a lot fraggin' faster if I wasn't carrying you!
- Xtreme Kool Letterz: Goes hand-in-hand with Funetik Aksent. Deff Skwadron, Kannibal Skwadron, Karnage Skwadron...