Characters: 2 Broke Girls
- Played by: Kat Dennings
- Awesome McCool Name: Max Black does indeed sound pretty cool.
- Bi the Way: She mentions kissing girls often.
- Big Breast Pride: She displays this on numerous occasions. Not that she goes out of her way to emphasize them (except in the first season finale with Martha Stewart...) but when they're noticed, she generally reacts with pride, as well as amusement when others notice the patently obvious.
- Broken Bird: Judging by the dark places her jokes go.
- Cannot Spit It Out: Max has this problem when asking people for favors.
- Deadpan Snarker: One couldn't imagine the show without her snide one-lines.
- Disappeared Dad: Disappeared so early in her life she doesn't know who he is.
- Double Entendre: Spits out these frequently. Especially involving any version of the word "come".
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Despite regularly being snide and sarcastic, she genuinely felt bad for Caroline and allowed Caroline to stay in her home without really asking for anything in return. It's pretty much established at the end of "And The Reality Check" that she's rather nice as Max is holding back tears as Chestnut is sent away for the winter. She's either a golden-hearted jerkass or possibly a Knight in Sour Armor.
- Kindhearted Cat Lover: As revealed in "And the Kitty Kitty Spank Spank", she likes cats.
- The Lad-ette: Especially in contrast to Caroline she often displays a rather macho behavior. It's revealed she pees standing up and seems confused at the fact that other woman pee sitting.
- Noodle Incident: A walking example. She spits out at least one of these an episode. Apparently she's been shot before and claims to have killed a French man ,among many other things
- Pungeon Master: Puns are a common ingredient of her one-liners.
- Raven Hair, Ivory Skin: A picture's worth 1000 words nothing really more to say.
- Schoolyard Bully All Grown Up: Mentioned once she was something of a bully in school, when Caroline met one of Max's old teachers, with Caroline acknowledging that she's not quite grown out of it.Teacher: You look just like the girls Maxine used to give wedgies to.Caroline: Still does.
- The Stoner: Not overemphasized, but Max is indicated to be a pot smoker, with "And the High Holidays" even acknowledging that she has a dealer.
- Sugar and Ice Personality: Tends to be snarky regularly insults just about everyone, but tends to be somewhat compassionate at times.
- Supreme Chef: Max is this when it comes to cupcakes, although she may also be a One-Note Cook. Ultimately subverted in "And The Secret Ingredient": She uses store-bought cake mix because she never learned how to make cupcakes from scratch, although The Reveal seems to have fallen into Canon Discontinuity.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: The tough, snarky, streetwise Tomboy to Caroline's wealthy, high society Girly Girl who likes riding horses.
- Tomboyish Name: She goes by "Max" which is more often than not a man's name.
- Tomboy with a Girly Streak: She's The Lad-ette, but also enjoys baking and sells homemade cupcakes from the diner where she works.
- Wake Up Make Up: Hands down the most blatant example of the cast and perhaps also of the current TV landscape, she sports her dark red lipstick and heavy eye makeup even during bedtime and in the bath tub.
- Woman Child: Max tends to have a childlike enthusiasm for things especially candy as well as drugs among other things and probably embodies how a severely hyperactive 10 year old girl would act like 15 years later. She tends to whine like a child too.
- Played by: Beth Behrs
- A-Cup Angst: Not so much on Caroline's part, but Max frequently teases her about her chest.
- Alliterative Name: Caroline Channing. For Added Alliterative Appeal, she is played by Beth Behrs.
- Daddy's Girl: She's got a very close relationship to her father due to having a Missing Mom and being treated like a princess for her whole life.
- Ditzy Genius: She has some hilariously naive beliefs about poverty and sexuality ("Max, you can't get pregnant doggy-style!"), and yet she's got a degree and when dealing with her and Max's cupcake business, displays lots of business sense.
- Dumb Blonde: She surprisingly averts this trope; while she's definitely naive, she's far from stupid and can hold her own in a lot of areas.
- Fallen Princess: In many ways, she's just as much of a victim of her father's Ponzi scheme as the people he ripped off. He told her that they were making legitimate money and, being his daughter, she believed him.
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold: She's grossly naive when it comes to the lower-class lifestyle, but doesn't let it get in the way of her helping Max and others.
- Missing Mom: Her mother cheated on her father and was gotten rid of... in a society way, much worse than in the Mob way.
- Na´ve Newcomer: She has a hard time adjusting to being poor.
- Preppy Name: English people would have no trouble believing that someone called Caroline came from money.
- She's Got Legs: Both her diner outfit and her private wardrobe, which consists mostly of short skirts and tight trousers, show off Beth Behrs' good figure.
- Smarter Than You Look: Caroline is a business school graduate who obviously couldn't have gotten through it without some semblance of intelligence, she's just not as skilled in the middle class world. She's even great with taxes, as shown in "And the Messy Purse Smackdown".
- Spoiled Sweet: She frequently mentions how up until she went broke, her father would give her anything she wanted.
- Straw Nihilist: Oddly, when she's stoned.
- Riches to Rags: Before her dad went to jail for his Ponzi Scheme, her family had a ten-figure net worth.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: The wealthy, high society Girly Girl who likes riding horses to Max's tough, snarky, streetwise Tomboy.
- Upper-Class Twit: Averted. While we might expect her to be an Airhead Heiress she seems to have a fair bit of common sense and adjusts to her new situation quickly. She is not a bad waitress, considering her lack of experience, and has no problems washing her uniform in a sink. Also, she is an excellent saleswoman. She does display some elements of this though, like being unfamiliar with how a grocery store works or the finer points of using coupons.
- Played by: Matthew Moy
- Ambiguously Gay: In one episode Han is seen entering the men's room or a movie theater with another man. Another episode has him admitting to having paid for sex. He also mentions a homosexual experience in college, but quickly backtracks upon apparently realizing it wasn't one. Max makes make one or two closet jokes about him as well.
- Aroused by Their Voice: In one episode, Max and Caroline overhear him speaking on his cell phone in Korean. They both state that he sounds very attractive. And they weren't even being sarcastic!
- Asian Store-Owner: He owns the diner the girls work in.
- Beware the Nice Ones: He's a nice, polite guy, but he also keeps a loaded gun in that bag he carries around and, as demonstrated when the diner got held up, he has no issue with using it.
- Butt Monkey /Chew Toy: He is usually the butt of many jokes. Usually involving his height or the fact he could be mistaken for a woman or a young boy. Taken Up to Eleven by Sophie in "And The Pearl Necklace"
- Older Than They Look/Younger Than They Look: Sounds weird, doesn't it? Due to his shortness and finical behaviour, the diner employees alternate between calling him an old man and a freaky child. He's 29, actually.
- Played by: Garrett Morris
- Cool Old Guy
- Deadpan Snarker
- Informed Ability : Earl is supposed to be a musician, but we never see him in action.
- Nice Guy: One of the nicest on the show.
- Played by: Jonathan Kite
- Abhorrent Admirer: At first Sophie rebuffs him, but they wind up in a brief Friends with Benefits relationship anyway.
- Casanova Wannabe: He often makes overly sexual remarks towards the girls and later Sophie, which come out as repulsive more than anything else.
- Funny Foreigner: From Eastern Europe.
- Played by: Jennifer Coolidge
- Bi the Way: Mentions attractions to Max and has dated women before as well.
- Dumb Blonde: She can come across this way when she is rather dismissive of everything that doesn't interest her.
- Funny Foreigner: From Eastern Europe too.
- Incoming Ham: Hiiii girls!
- Jerkass: Tends to be demeaning towards people and is unapologetic when corrected by Caroline after calling Han a woman. She occasionally dips into Jerk with a Heart of Gold territory.
- Promotion to Opening Titles: Jennifer Coolidge gets one at the beginning of Season 2.
- Sensual Slavs: Her outfits are always extremely flamboyant and show off lots of cleavage. Also, she's rather promiscuous, much to her downstairs neighbours' chagrin.
- Played by: Nick Zano
- The Bus Came Back: Twice.
- Your Cheating Heart: Pretty much anytime he and Max get together he is dating of marring someone, the one time he's not both him and Max agree that there is something missing.
- Played by: Steven Weber
- The Atoner: His time in prison has given him plenty of time to think about those he hurt by his actions especially Caroline.
- Biggus Dickus: In "And the Tip Slip", we find out he's quite well endowed.
- Silver Fox: Max seems quite smitten with him when they get introduced.
- Played by: Ryan Hansen
- Adorkable: A former Wall Street exec who fulfilled his dream of opening his own candy store when his firm folded and rang a bell every time he said something funny/cute.
- Nice Guy: He's so sweet, he owns a candy store.
- Played by: Gilles Marini
- Everyone Looks Sexier If French: In accordance with the show's other cultural stereotypes, the French guy has to be gorgeous.
- Good Adultery, Bad Adultery: His wife and him have an open relationship and she not only seems to tolerate but actively encourage him and Caroline to have an affair. Caroline's stance on this is different.
- Innocent Innuendo: Pretty much every character makes a sex joke every other line. Nicolas is the only one who does it without knowing!
- Meta Casting: Sort of. Marini is a baker's son and was quite talented as a youth.
- Mr. Fanservice: Easily the most conventionally attractive male cast member
Deke Berg aka Deacon Bromberg
- Played by: Eric Andre